Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Grey tank overflow?

Just double checking, I have a new 2015 8329 Rockwood. The grey was full and dripping water . I can see the water running down the side of the tank. I assume it's a poor connection on the top of the tank?
Thanks
Funbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

That would be my guess. Usually, it'll come out the shower drain when it's overfilled. Depending on how hard it is to get to and how it's attached, I'd either tighten it (if it's clamped and easy to get to ) or not worry about it unless it's leaking when not full.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

Exclamation Gray Water Tank Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
That would be my guess. Usually, it'll come out the shower drain when it's overfilled. Depending on how hard it is to get to and how it's attached, I'd either tighten it (if it's clamped and easy to get to ) or not worry about it unless it's leaking when not full.
I beg to differ. I had the gray water overflow into my basement compartment with my brand new 2017 SportsCoach

When it first happened, I thought the fresh water tank was leaking, confirmed later that it was the gray tank overflow. Stupid thing just empties right into the basement area where the city water hookup and waste gates are located. A lot of the water ends up on top of the fresh water tank when it is not full and just sits until you move (top indented) located below the gray and black tanks. When I left my site, the water ends up poring out of the metal frame and looks real bad. This happened to me twice after waiting for the monitor to show "full".

I have since learned not to wait until the monitor says "full" as by then its too late. I now drain the gray water at two-thirds full and haven't had any issue since.

As Noted: the gray water did not back-up into the shower with the new motorcoachs as this and some other threads suggest its suppose to do. FR says the gray tank overflow is on top of the gray tank and is not part of the vent pipe system.
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

The grey tank on the kitchen sink does this. It will overflow, run out into the basement and eventually onto the ground. I believe there is a loose connection on top of the tank or maybe a missing plug. I need to drop the coroplast and check it out.

In the meantime, I drain the tank when 2/3 full.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

Holding Tanks are just That,Holding Tanks"! That being "Black or Gray" they "Do NOT" have a Overflow Opening! The Tanks have a VENT,some terminate on the Roof,some have a Air Admittance Valve,there is a Top Inlet,and there is a Side/Bottom effluent Exit,and Most have Tank level Probe Holes! Any of these can/will Leak,there is NO Over Flow! If you have Overflow You have a "LEAK"! Youroo!!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Any of these can/will Leak,there is NO Over Flow! If you have Overflow You have a "LEAK"! Youroo!!
X2 - And, the tanks do crack/split and begin leaking. Shouldn't happen, but it does. If it's a new coach - warranty should cover it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
X2 - And, the tanks do crack/split and begin leaking. Shouldn't happen, but it does. If it's a new coach - warranty should cover it.
This is where you and youroo are both mistaken. I had the dealer check it out and they (and FR) state that the newer coaches have an overflow on top of the gray water "holding" tank to prevent backflow into the coach sinks or shower as the older coaches do. Not sure the rational, something to do with owners warranty claims for water damage repairs.

The vent system is for air/gas and water will not back up into the vent as of the gray tank as the overflow also prevents this.

The dealer states (coach is under warranty) there is nothing to fix or repair as the overflow is just doing its job, preventing water from backing up into the coach.

I only have the one gray and one black, I asked about the black water and they (FR) says the black does not have an overflow like the gray does. It will (and can) back up into the vent-pipe and flow out the top onto the coach roof.

Not sure if I should try to find a way to plug the overflow valve or route a drain line from it. The access to the top of the tank looks very challenging. Was wondering if someone with the same coach has attempted to attach a drain line to it?
mmcbride56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #8

Our sink tank will overflow, but the shower tank will back up into the shower. I will investigate when we return from our camping trip. I don't want to tear into it right before we leave.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank