Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Grey Wolf 26dbh rear view camera installation

My 2015 Grey Wolf comes pre-wired for a Furrion wireless camera, however I just want to install another cheaper brand. On the surface it seemed simple enough, I just removed Furrion plug and attached my cameras plug but no power was present. I tested for power and got no reading. Has some else had a similar problem? Is there something else I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Regards Henry
HenryEakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

You have to have the "running lights" in order to get power to the Furion power wire.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryEakin View Post
My 2015 Grey Wolf comes pre-wired for a Furrion wireless camera, however I just want to install another cheaper brand. On the surface it seemed simple enough, I just removed Furrion plug and attached my cameras plug but no power was present. I tested for power and got no reading. Has some else had a similar problem? Is there something else I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Regards Henry

What cheaper brand are you using?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

I have the running lights on and still no power? The built-in wireless system I have is by Tadi Brothers and I verified it is working fine so it is strictly a power issue.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryEakin View Post
I have the running lights on and still no power? The built-in wireless system I have is by Tadi Brothers and I verified it is working fine so it is strictly a power issue.
Hmmmm...that's interesting. The furnished wire terminates in a plug specific to the Furrion. On mine I just cut the plug off, used a voltmeter to verify polarity and connected. Works fine as soon as the lights come on.

Have you put a voltmeter on the wire to check output?
Old 12-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

I'm a little confused. You have pre-wired and wireless in the same sentence. If you are wiring another brand camera to a Furion cable, the issue is likely due to proprietary wiring from Furion. In other words, the power for the Furion cable may be the video feed on the Tadi Brothers camera. There is very little standardization for mobile video cabling. They probably do it because they want you to use their products. I learned this when trying to connect a Rear View Safety trailer camera to a Panasonic head unit.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
I'm a little confused. You have pre-wired and wireless in the same sentence. If you are wiring another brand camera to a Furion cable, the issue is likely due to proprietary wiring from Furion. In other words, the power for the Furion cable may be the video feed on the Tadi Brothers camera. There is very little standardization for mobile video cabling. They probably do it because they want you to use their products. I learned this when trying to connect a Rear View Safety trailer camera to a Panasonic head unit.
Makes no difference. All he needs is a hot wire.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
You have to have the "running lights" in order to get power to the Furion power wire.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Makes no difference. All he needs is a hot wire.

Bruce
Correct. But the factory installed wire(s) terminate with a Furrion proprietary plug. Any camera needs some sort of power, usually 12 vdc. You have to cut off the Furrion connector to get access to that power.

Unless the camera has built in direct transmitting capability you have to have something wired up somewhere to get the signal into a format recognizable by the monitor (independent or iPhone/iPad). Due to all the metals and other interference between the camera and the monitor, self contained cameras are not very reliable past the rear bumper of the towing vehicle
Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Correct. But the factory installed wire(s) terminate with a Furrion proprietary plug. Any camera needs some sort of power, usually 12 vdc. You have to cut off the Furrion connector to get that power.

Unless the camera has built in direct transmitting capability you have to have something wired up somewhere to get the signal into a format recognizable the by the monitor (independent or iPhone/iPad). Due to all the metals and other interference between the camera and the monitor, self contained cameras are not very reliable past the rear bumper of the towing vehicle
The pre-wire for the Furion camera does not have a video feed cable. The video signal is wireless.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #10

Okay, I have the wired/remote concept- a simple 12V circuit and no video feed in the Furrion line When you were checking and got no power reading, did you have a complete circuit? You may have 12V to the camera fitting, but unless it has a ground, you will not get a reading-the circuit is not complete.

Also, how did you remove the Furrion plug to replace it with Tadi Brothers? Is it possible that the power (running lights) was on and shorted out in the exchange process? It may be that the running lights, though on the same circuit as the camera, route through a fuse before going to the camera terminal. If the camera shorted out, the running lights would remain on. A camera fuse is very low amperage. If that is so, you may want to check the fuse panel.

None of us being there, hopefully one of our guesses solves your problem.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

I thought the camera only works in reverse? If so then the TV needs to be in reverse with the lights on for it to work.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Okay, I have the wired/remote concept- a simple 12V circuit and no video feed in the Furrion line When you were checking and got no power reading, did you have a complete circuit? You may have 12V to the camera fitting, but unless it has a ground, you will not get a reading-the circuit is not complete.

Also, how did you remove the Furrion plug to replace it with Tadi Brothers? Is it possible that the power (running lights) was on and shorted out in the exchange process? It may be that the running lights, though on the same circuit as the camera, route through a fuse before going to the camera terminal. If the camera shorted out, the running lights would remain on. A camera fuse is very low amperage. If that is so, you may want to check the fuse panel.

None of us being there, hopefully one of our guesses solves your problem.
Nice catch. When cutting the Furrion connector off and having it powered should kill a fuse but it would be the running light fuse. At least on my unit (Vengeance..very similar to the Grey Wolf) there is not a separate camera fuse. That "apparently" single line actually contains two pretty small gauge wires...positive and negative so a wire cutter will definitely short the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlstedtd View Post
I thought the camera only works in reverse? If so then the TV needs to be in reverse with the lights on for it to work.
The connection for the Furrion is powered any time the running lights are on. It's designed and advertised to be an "observation camera", not a backup cam. The observation cameras, when working properly, are a great feature while driving. You can see things behind you that you'll never see in a mirror...even those ugly extended side mirrors.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

Let us know how you get it to work. I just checked prices and I think this is the route I would like to take.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Thanks everyone. I puchased a multimeter and checked the lines, there was power with running lights on.The only other small issue I has was that there was two wire green and white, I assumed the green was ground and this was not the case. All is now installed and working correctly. Thanks again Henry
Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #15

Success

Thanks all for your input. All is working great now. I bought a multimeter and determined that there was power when running lights were on. The only other small issue I had was based on my assumption that a green wire was the ground but I'm my case it was power. Once again thanks.

Tags
grey wolf