Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Grey Wolf or Avenger?

If you could get almost the same layout at the same price, same year, would you get the Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 23DBH or the Prime Time Avenger 24BHS, both 2019s? The Avenger has the outdoor kitchen, the Grey Wolf has two doors. Both have a slide. Also the Grey Wolf is 2 and half hours away and the Avenger is about 30 minutes hehe.
sbutter50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutter50 View Post
If you could get almost the same layout at the same price, same year, would you get the Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 23DBH or the Prime Time Avenger 24BHS, both 2019s? The Avenger has the outdoor kitchen, the Grey Wolf has two doors. Both have a slide. Also the Grey Wolf is 2 and half hours away and the Avenger is about 30 minutes hehe.
Though i would never own a stick and tin RV, from what I see, the Avenger offers more things that are standard or optional, than are available in the Gray Wolf.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

Okay so neither, or, it doesn’t really matter hehe
Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

I bought my 2014 Prime Time Avenger used in May and spent five months boondocking in it and have been very pleased with it.

Note that there are big differences between the Avenger and the Averger ATI. The Avenger is a higher quality build than the Averger ATI, which is their "entry level" line.. The Avenger has, or at least did have, a one piece 25 year warranty marine plywood floor for starters, which was one of the major factors in my decision to go with the Avenger. Other differences are highlighted in their brochures if you compare the lists of standards and options.

We all have different needs. Unlike the previous poster, I prefer "stick and tin" to aluminum and "fiberglass". They both have advantages and disadvantages, but I owned one aluminium and "fiberglass" trailer that I bought new in 2015. Never again.

So do your research, know your needs/wants and good luck with your decision.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutter50 View Post
Okay so neither, or, it doesn’t really matter hehe
I would choose the Avenger over the Gray Wolf, because of what I commented on. Unless the Avenger's price was substantially higher.
My PT TracerAir came with standard features that aren't available or are optional, on other brands similarly priced.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #6

Okay thanks for replies. I know it’s mostly a matter of preference. I guess I was wanting to make sure there were no known or obvious differences. I have researched, but someone with more experience is better than me on the internet so I thought I’d check here.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Team

There are way more Gray Wolf's out there, than Avengers because they manufacturer way more of them.
The FR RV division is much bigger than the PrimeTime division.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

Sorry if my previous response wasn't helpful, I replied with what I knew of the top of my head while I was eating dinner at a fast food place. I'm home now and have had a chance to look at the brochures on the two company's websites. You may have already picked up on these differences with your research, but here are my thoughts, based on what I look at when I am researching a new trailer.

The Avenger 24BHS is an Avenger ATI, BUT it now includes the 5/8" seamless floor decking with 25-year warranty. The Grey Wolf 23BHS also has 5/8" floor decking, but it does not state that it is seamless nor that it has a 25-year warranty. Both are supported by 2"x3"floor joists, the Avenger states they are on 16"centers, the Grey Wolf doesn't state the spacing. The Avenger species a powder coated I-beam with full length outriggers, the Grey Wolf does not give frame specs. The Avenger specifies seamless Congoleum flooring, the Grey Wolf only "linoleum front to back". Both specify 3/8" walkable roof decking. The Avenger states it can carry a 5" snow load, the Grey Wolf doesn't give a spec for snow load. The sidewalls on the Avenger have studs 16" on center, the Grey Wolf has side walls 12" on center. The Avenger has "cross banded" construction, the Grey Wolf "galvanized steel high wind bands". The Avenger has " 7" LVL headers" above the slide out, the Grey Wolf doesn't give a spec. Both have R7 insulation. Neither state they have a fully enclosed underbelly. The Avenger has a 25000 btu furnace, the Grey Wolf only a 20000 btu furnace. That means the furnace on the Grey Wolf has to run 25% longer than the Avenger to maintain the same temperature, which means more wear and tear on the furnace. And if you plan to do any cold weather boondocking the additional fan time can be a significant battery drain. Black and grey water tank holding tank capacity is higher in the Grey Wolf at 38 gallons, compared to the Avenger at 30 gallons each. Fresh water tank sizes are similar at 46 and 48 respectively.

Overall, the specs indicate they are comparable units structurally. The Grey Wolf has an advantage in the sidewall construction and holding tank capacity. But the Avenger has the advantage in floor construction (with the frame, the "foundation" of the trailer) and furnace size and is much more specific about construction details overall, and because of that I would favor the Avenger. The Avenger has few options, virtually all features are standard. You would have to know which option packages are included on the Grey Wolf to compare other features, as their standard features are more basic.

Also, when I was researching the purchase of my Avenger I sent the company an email through their website because I couldn't determine if it was an Avenger or an Avenger ATI (the model had a mid year introduction and was not included in the brochures I found online) and at the time the floor construction was not the same, which was a deal breaker for me if it was the Averger ATI, as was the lack of a fully enclosed underbelly on the Avenger ATI. I received phone calls within a couple of days from both the sales department and the engineering department at Prime Time and both were very helpful answering all my (OCD) questions.

I hope this is more helpful, assuming you made it this far. I know this was a rather long response.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #9

Thanks so much! Your first answer was helpful but this is above and beyond. Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Nice writeup response, Keith!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #11

I love my GW. Fell in love the day I found.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #12

You're welcome, and thanks Dan. As I said, I can be a little OCD about specs, sheepish grin.

Tags
grey wolf