Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Thanks! That seems ackward as hell compared to my scissor leg one. I am thinking I might just buy the Brinkmann and make/adapt a cover for it. As I carry it on the front deck of my 21SSL, Height is not too much of a concern. That there would be the PERFECT grill for me.

Tim
If you don't mind me asking, who has the Brinkmann for sale currently? I picked mine up several years ago at Academy when they had them on sale for $99. I was going to buy another one later on, and couldn't find them.

I thought the scissor leg one like yours was an improvement, and took the place of mine which I think I've had for 7 years. Yours is a much simpler setup, as it is like the Coleman.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you don't mind me asking, who has the Brinkmann for sale currently? I picked mine up several years ago at Academy when they had them on sale for $99. I was going to buy another one later on, and couldn't find them.

I thought the scissor leg one like yours was an improvement, and took the place of mine. Yours is a much simpler setup, as it is like the Coleman.
Bass Pro Shops was the only place I found it. for $249. Brinkmann website says Gander Mountain and Cabela's carry as well.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks! That seems ackward as hell compared to my scissor leg one. I am thinking I might just buy the Brinkmann and make/adapt a cover for it. As I carry it on the front deck of my 21SSL, Height is not too much of a concern. That there would be the PERFECT grill for me.

Tim
Tim,

If you are really THAT serious of a Grill SGT, just get this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Pig Grill.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	55699  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Simple.

Cook up a pound of pork sausage in a skillet. When done remove from heat DO NOT DRAIN, toss in a block of cream cheese and cover.

While the cheese is getting all melt-y, prepare your chicken. if they are real thick breasts, you can butterfly them, otherwise just pound them out to a uniform thickness of about 3/8 to 1/2 inch or so.

Stir the cream cheese into the sausage and put a spoon full or so on each chicken breast. Fold up the chicken breast. Make sure the sides can touch, if not, you got too much sausage. Wrap in a strip or two of bacon. The bacon is not for flavor. It's structural. Load-bearing bacon, if you will. It will help hold the chicken breast together. You could pin them together with toothpicks, but c'mon! Bacon! Who wants to eat a toothpick. If needed you go ahead and pin them with toothpicks if they are really fat and meaty (as in the picture) but usually I don't bother. I season them with Weber's Kickin' Chickin' seasoning.

Place slot side up on grill so the sausage mix won't fall out and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. By then the chicken will firm up enough that you can turn them without fear of the sausage mix falling out. The grease from the sausage mix will baste and flavor your chicken as it cooks.

For the potato packs, cube up 1-2 YUKON GOLD (and ONLY yukon gold) potatoes per person. Throw them on a square of foil, salt and pepper liberally, add some chopped onion, and top with a pat or two of real butter.
Seal foil packs TIGHTLY, and toss on the edges of your grill. Stay away from direct heat if you can. Leave them alone, don't turn them or futz with them for 30-40 minutes. Top with crumbled bacon and a dollop of sour cream if desired.

Get the potatoes going before starting to cook the sausage. If you time it right, everything will come off the grill at the same time.

Tim
1) I assume you're using some kind of diced or ground sausage? I can't see whole sausages fitting in a chicken breast.

2) I do a similar form of potatoes based on an old scout recipe.

Back in the scout days, you'd put down a layer of onion, a layer of sliced potatoes, a layer of hamburger, then a layer of carrots. Wrap tight and bury in the coals to cook a whole single serving meal in one shot.

I modified this to:

Put a double layer of sliced taters, mixed with diced onions and garlic. Cover with vegetable of choice. (I like to do shredded cabbage or Brussels sprouts since the DW won't let me cook those in the house.) Throw in a pinch of water to help generate some steam, wrap tightly and place on the BBQ away from direct heat. Usually takes about 30 minutes to cook, if you're keeping the heat in the grill around the 375-400 range which is the range I use to cook my chicken.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #25

Love my Q's. Have a 220 for the camper and just got a 3200 for the house. The thick cast grate really holds a lot of heat so it cooks really even!!

0 hot spots.

Just my 2 pennies.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Tim, here is a youtube video that shows the Brinkmann with a base like mine.

I will tell you upfront that I don't take the lower tray with me anywhere as it's a pain as well as trying to keep up with the grease drip pan. They are in my garage somewhere.

The plastic caps that go on the legs opposite of the wheels also cracked easily, and want to fall off anytime you move the grill. I ended up throwing them away, and place two pieces of wood underneath them now, which you have to use to make the grill level.

I would much rather have your grills setup. I wonder if there is a way, if the top unit is the same, to just use your old folding base on the new grill.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #27
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
1) I assume you're using some kind of diced or ground sausage? I can't see whole sausages fitting in a chicken breast.
Sorry, yes... Ground pork sausage. I just grab a tube of cheap Jimmy Dean Mild or whatever is on sale.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #28
Broken Toe

We have a winner.

Damn near pulled the trigger on a new Brinkmann. But we stopped in Gander Mountain to kill some time and I came across this.

That goes on top of this:

I even got the griddle that goes on it

It's plenty big, got 2 30Kbtu rocket burners, and it has a LID!!. Plus the stove was on sale for $79 and the grill box was on sale for $119.

I'll snap a pic next time I have it full of meat. I'm thinking about 60 or so Kabobs are in the near future.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #29
NELA

Fritz was always a die hard charcoal guy....UNTIL we got this;

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Inf.../dp/B00BFPMLI8

You can buy the carry bag for it, basically a clam shell type duffel bag. Easy to clean, easy to carry.

We started out RVing with one of those red grills with the scissor legs on it, oval shaped.

It's gathering cobwebs on the lanai right now, along with our HEAVY charcoal grill (the kind with the huge wagon type wheels on it).

We use ONLY this Charbroil grill now, here OR while camping. They ain't lyin' when they claim it's flare-up free.

I just need to buy an adapter kit for it so we don't have to use the little 1 lb. cans, and then can use our RV tanks. Detest those 1 lb. things. Don't like handling them and dislike traveling with them even more.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Amazon.com : Char-Broil TRU Infrared Grill2Go X200 Grill : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

You can buy the carry bag for it, basically a clam shell type duffel bag. Easy to clean, easy to carry.

We started out RVing with one of those red grills with the scissor legs on it, oval shaped.

It's gathering cobwebs on the lanai right now, along with our HEAVY charcoal grill (the kind with the huge wagon type wheels on it).

We use ONLY this Charbroil grill now, here OR while camping. They ain't lyin' when they claim it's flare-up free.

I just need to buy an adapter kit for it so we don't have to use the little 1 lb. cans, and then can use our RV tanks. Detest those 1 lb. things. Don't like handling them and dislike traveling with them even more.
I love that little grill. Don't leave home without it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
Broken Toe

Quote:

Amazon.com : Char-Broil TRU Infrared Grill2Go X200 Grill : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

My home grill is a charbroil TRU Infrared. If you follow the instructions, you can get a steak that is indistinguishable from a charcoal cooked one, with way less trouble or mess.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #32

I just used our Camp Chef stove for the first time this past week-end, along with a single BBQ grill box. I bought the stove first and dismissed the idea of the BBQ box at the time. However after coming home and reading many reviews, decided to go back and get the box. It worked well all week-end, cooking hot dogs, hamburgers and beef kabobs.
I was also able to get a hose, to run the stove off the trailers quick connect.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I have a big Charbroil at home with infra red and love how it cooks. Get's the meat cooked but leaves it juicy inside. I needed something smaller for the RV and I bought their Grill2Go and love it too. Cooks a lot faster than it's big brother. I love the fact that it uses the small bottles, it doesn't take much space, and it's built like a rock.
I just purchased a Grill2Go, and I am having difficulty adjusting to it. It gets SO DANG HOT! Do you cook with the lid open, closed, or what? I end up charring everything. Any tips would be appreciated.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #34

Following...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ashley
Tallcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #35

I have had this grill. Portable Stainless Steel Gas Grill with Cover - Sam's Club

And love it. I converted it to run on the small green cans. Going on 3 years now and is great form under $100.00
flcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Bass Pro Shops was the only place I found it. for $249. Brinkmann website says Gander Mountain and Cabela's carry as well.

Tim
Home Depot is selling Brinkmans too at $199 (1000037215) & $399 (969022). I think those are Home Depot #'s but you might be able to find them online.

At your next cookout, do you mind feeding a couple extras?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #37

Camp chef all the way. Up to 3 30k btu burners, depending on size...simply awesome.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #38

Quote:

I have the same grill. Love the size - it has more surface area and height between the grate an lid than a Q100/120/1000 but overall smaller dimensions. And it is constructed very well - cast aluminum body with stainless steel grate and heat deflector.

However it has two negatives for me. It is too hot, even on low. Maybe mine has a bad valve/regulator? It also cannot be connected to the low pressure side of the rv because it has a regulator built into the valve.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #39

Coleman Road Trip Grill, love the grill, griddle options, and throws out good BTU's to cook.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #40
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
I have the same grill. Love the size - it has more surface area and height between the grate an lid than a Q100/120/1000 but overall smaller dimensions. And it is constructed very well - cast aluminum body with stainless steel grate and heat deflector.

However it has two negatives for me. It is too hot, even on low. Maybe mine has a bad valve/regulator? It also cannot be connected to the low pressure side of the rv because it has a regulator built into the valve.
I'd be checking the regulator. We *love* ours and have no problems with over-heat situations.

Of course we like our steaks rare. Slap it on, wait 5-7 minutes (depending on the cut of meat) flip it and wait 5-7 more and those steaks are scrumpciously (calm down spell check, it's my word, I'll spell it my way) ready to devour!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote