Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #41
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
At your next cookout, do you mind feeding a couple extras?
Hell no. Bring it on. (I don't deliver) That's one thing I take after my dad with.

He was never happier than when he was cooking for a group of people. He was Yugoslavian (Croatian) and most of mine and my brothers friends growing up were "down-home country boys" who never had a good goulash, or rouladen with spatzel, or potato pancakes in their life. I can remember having a house full of friends, and eating his potato pancakes as fast as he could pull them off the griddle.

I'm the same way. I love cooking for a big group. The shame is I didn't really get into cooking until after Dad died. So he wound up taking some of my favorite recipes to the grave with him. What I wouldn't give to have his stuffed green pepper recipe...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
What I wouldn't give to have his stuffed green pepper recipe...

Tim
I haven't had those since the 70's when I worked at a college town restaurant. We had a Greek chef that could do wonders with them. I always managed to get 2 of them for lunch. Now I am hungry.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #43
Broken Toe

Update and Review...

Used the new Camp Chef stove/Grill box combo over the 4th of July weekend. Initial unpacking and set up of the stove was effortless. It's kinda short. I might make new legs that are 6 inches longer, but its liveable.

The grill box was another story. Very poorly put together. It has 3 hinges in the back, all screws were loose, and 2 fell out. I found them in the packaging, but due to being behind a fold in the sheet metal, it was nearly impossible to get the nuts back on them. 20 minutes of fluent cursing later and I finally got it all tight. There are 2 latches to hold the lid closed, made out of old beer cans or something, because the one fell apart the first time I tried to latch it.

Speaking of fluent cursing... Why in blue hell do they feel compelled to put stickers on the damn thing extolling the virtues of its features? I already BOUGHT it, you don't need to keep selling me on it. I still don't have all the sticker residue off of it.

Anyway, after getting it all set up, I commenced to cooking. The burners light easy with a candle lighter (no on board igniters). The cast iron grates are heavy, but they work supremely well. Sorry, I forgot to snap any pictures, but I had 20 or so BIG kabobs on the thing. Beautiful grill marks. Nice even temps with just a little fall-off right in the middle where the grill halves meet.

The next night, we used it to bake some big ol' potatoes. Great temp control, and according to my digital thermometer, the built in thermometer was pretty accurate. I really think I could bake a cake on this thing. the next morning was my turn to do breakfast. I removed the grill box and installed the griddle plates that I also purchased. They too are cast iron. They arent a 'seasoned' as my trusty cast iron skillet, but they did nicely. Cooked up a whole mess of vanilla cream french toast, with sausage links. It took me a little bit to get the temps of the griddles stabilized to where I wanted, but once I started cooking, they held temp very well.

I have a buddy who is a good stainless steel fabricator. I am gonna ask him to fold me up a 4 inch deep 'box' to fit across the width of the stove. I will fill it with oil and I could fry up a mess of chicken, fish, or french fries. I can see a donut morning coming up soon, too.

Overall, I am pleased with the whole set up. It's not as compact as my old Brinkmann grill, but the versatility more than makes up for it. Once I got past the initial assembly issue, I am pleased with the quality and value. If you have the space to haul it, I can recommend this unit, provided you take a screwdriver to all the screws first.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Update and Review...

Used the new Camp Chef stove/Grill box combo over the 4th of July weekend. Initial unpacking and set up of the stove was effortless. It's kinda short. I might make new legs that are 6 inches longer, but its liveable.

The grill box was another story. Very poorly put together. It has 3 hinges in the back, all screws were loose, and 2 fell out. I found them in the packaging, but due to being behind a fold in the sheet metal, it was nearly impossible to get the nuts back on them. 20 minutes of fluent cursing later and I finally got it all tight. There are 2 latches to hold the lid closed, made out of old beer cans or something, because the one fell apart the first time I tried to latch it.

Speaking of fluent cursing... Why in blue hell do they feel compelled to put stickers on the damn thing extolling the virtues of its features? I already BOUGHT it, you don't need to keep selling me on it. I still don't have all the sticker residue off of it.

Anyway, after getting it all set up, I commenced to cooking. The burners light easy with a candle lighter (no on board igniters). The cast iron grates are heavy, but they work supremely well. Sorry, I forgot to snap any pictures, but I had 20 or so BIG kabobs on the thing. Beautiful grill marks. Nice even temps with just a little fall-off right in the middle where the grill halves meet.

The next night, we used it to bake some big ol' potatoes. Great temp control, and according to my digital thermometer, the built in thermometer was pretty accurate. I really think I could bake a cake on this thing. the next morning was my turn to do breakfast. I removed the grill box and installed the griddle plates that I also purchased. They too are cast iron. They arent a 'seasoned' as my trusty cast iron skillet, but they did nicely. Cooked up a whole mess of vanilla cream french toast, with sausage links. It took me a little bit to get the temps of the griddles stabilized to where I wanted, but once I started cooking, they held temp very well.

I have a buddy who is a good stainless steel fabricator. I am gonna ask him to fold me up a 4 inch deep 'box' to fit across the width of the stove. I will fill it with oil and I could fry up a mess of chicken, fish, or french fries. I can see a donut morning coming up soon, too.

Overall, I am pleased with the whole set up. It's not as compact as my old Brinkmann grill, but the versatility more than makes up for it. Once I got past the initial assembly issue, I am pleased with the quality and value. If you have the space to haul it, I can recommend this unit, provided you take a screwdriver to all the screws first.

Tim

I'm surprised to hear about your quality issues since my grill box was built solid. Didn't have a problem with it at all.

My only issue so far has been with the windscreen that came with the stove. I went with a two burner stove and a single burner grill box so I can BBQ while boiling up some corn or sautéing some onions or what not. But you can't use the wind screen at the same time as the grill box. I haven't found a solution for that issue yet and so far have just been using it without.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
Coleman Road Trip Grill, love the grill, griddle options, and throws out good BTU's to cook.
X2!!!

in fact I have the nice brand new grill that came with our 5er in the for sale section of the forums
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote