Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Epiphany4Us Fool timers
Send a message via ICQ to Epiphany4Us
Ground wire Georgetown 378

Hello everybody,

New to the forum, just found it today. I hope someone can help with my question.

My wife and I travel in a 2008 Georgetown 378. The vanity light bulbs in the bathroom burn out in 2 - 3 days after replacement. The bulbs will be exceptionally bright right after installation and then quickly dim and burn out over the next couple days. I have checked the voltage coming from the house batteries which is correct, right around 13.2 to 13.6 depending on the charge of the batteries. The ground does show that it is grounded to the frame, however that is where my question is.

An RV mechanic told me last week that most likely the ground is 'loose' in the grounding block or post which is normally located under the bed or behind the the breaker/fuse panel in the bedroom. I have searched everywhere....under, over, you name it. I have crawled every foot of the frame, removed the breaker panel, etc.

Does anyone know where the grounding block/post could or should be located on a 2008 Forest River Georgetown 378XL??

Thanks for any help.

Paul & Nancy & Peanut dog & Maggie cat
Fool Timers

Epiphany4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I'd recommend starting at your batteries and trace the negative wire to see where it leads you. I've never looked for mine but that's where I'd start.

I had a problem where my headlights were grounded by a trim screw through a round terminal end that was twice the size of the screw and they used a washer. They failed to remove the paint where the terminal was attached so the only ground was actually the threads of the screw. A little corrosion and one morning I had no headlights. I drilled out the hole and wire wheeled the paint off the frame and bolted the connection together. I then spray terminal protectant over the connection.

Good luck. When you find it please post the info so in case any of us ever have the same issue we'll know where to look first.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
We have a 2009 378 and although we don't have any problems like this I do feel your frustration. Problem is that it's anybody's guess where they route those wires and it may not be the same on all rigs even of the same model. The problem you describe sounds exactly like what happens in an A/C circuit where you have an intermittent neural wire. However in a D/C system I don't see the ground causing this as it seems to me it would just either work or not or maybe the light would flicker now and again but not what you describe. My inclination would be to run my own ground wire from the fixture to a known good ground, use a long piece of wire run right through the rig to the negative terminal on the battery just as a test to see what happens, if this solves the problem then take the time to route the wire carefully though the cabinet or wall and down under the rig to a good grounding location.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

georgetown, georgetown378, ground wire, wiring