Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #21

I do very well when not distracted which happens often. I have a neighbor that knows how do to absolutely nothing but comment on everybody else, Well every time I come home from a trip he's standing there bugging me when backing in which I suck at. I have a steep driveway on a small street with little front room for swinging the front of the truck. My last trip I told him to get lost which aggravated me even more and I missed a step ripped the emergency brake cable off and smashed the switch(tailgate up) no major damage to tail gate thank GOD. Just a little rip in the vinyl tailgate guard on the top trim piece. Installed a new switch and filled in the vinyl good to go until next trip. This weekend. I'd like to see the heckler back it in. I think I need that SOP list after I get rid of him go back to step #1.

#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #22

Sorry to hear that. We are all susceptible to distractions. Last camping trip I unhooked from the fifth wheel, settled issues with the kids, out of reflex closed the tailgate and drove off. The crunch of the pin box hitting the gate reminded me why I need to slow down and take that extra walk around.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Sorry to hear that. We are all susceptible to distractions. Last camping trip I unhooked from the fifth wheel, settled issues with the kids, out of reflex closed the tailgate and drove off. The crunch of the pin box hitting the gate reminded me why I need to slow down and take that extra walk around.
"sorry to hear about your distraction scooter but there is some comfort knowing I am not the only one."
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #24

Quote:
We are all susceptible to distractions...
Last year I swapped-out my 3 year-old China Bombs for Maxxis. When I was tightening the lug nuts my neighbor came-over to talk & then my kids & wife needed help packing stuff which meant I forgot to double-check the last wheel I mounted. Since the campground was close, I also didn't do the recommended lug nut check @ 10 miles out after a tire change so when I arrived at the campground, the left rear TT wheel was wobbling badly... Could have been really bad had it fallen-off on the interstate...

Only 3 lug nuts were still loosely holding the tire on & a couple lug bolts had actually sheared-off. I took my 12V impact wrench & tightened (2) of them enough to back into my camping spot & setup camp. I then called Good Sam's Roadside to send help. About an hour later a semi trailer mechanic arrived, knocked-out the old bolts, ran & got new bolts & nuts, and then mounted my spare with the new bolts & nuts.

It only cost me about $70 because Good Sam's paid for the service call (just not the labor & parts...) I also had the mechanic get me an extra set of bolts & nuts for any future mishaps. The aluminum rim had rounded-out holes, so I ordered exact replacement rims online for only $65 each - the extra rim will be used as a 2nd spare on longer trips. IMO road debris can wipe-out both tires since they are close together....

So altogether it was a $135 mistake (plus an extra $65 for 2nd spare rim), but fortunately it did not turn into an accident & now I check my lug bolts before every trip...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #25

Check list !!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #26
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Check list !!
Where in the hell did I put it?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #27
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Suggest you put up a checklist for setting up and taking down.
We have one by our door that we follow religiously.
I give Sweet Wife the checklist and she gets to boss me around for 1/2 an hour or so. She loves it. And I have a second pair of amazingly capable eyes checking the work.

And since we have been using the checklist, we have never, never damaged our trailer or truck or put ourselves in danger because we missed an important step.

We've done some stupid stuff, but it wasn't because we didn't use the checklist. We make all original, creative mistakes! And then we pencil a note in the margin of the checklists.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #28

One other hint - when you start something, finish that task completely before moving on to the next task. If you get distracted during a task, go back and start that task from the beginning. This is standard operating procedure for nuclear power plant operators.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #29

I start at the hitch, walk around entire TT then check hitch again, talk out loud and touch everything..."left chain, weight bar, weight bar pin, hatch door, steps...etc. ..all the way around tt. I forgot the steps down one time leaving the house, got very lucky I didn't hit any parked cars on the street before I noticed them in the mirror!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
"sorry to hear about your distraction scooter but there is some comfort knowing I am not the only one."
A good friend passed this along when I told him what I did to my tailgate.

" Life is a learning curve of experience. Experience is defined as something that has cost you time, money or blood in learning how to do it right."