Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #1

Hail Damage Questions

I live in central Nebraska and we just got pounded with hail. I have a 2004 26ft Wildwood TT w/ aluminum siding. The siding is trashed. Fridge vent is trashed. I can't tell about the roof. What do I look for as far as damage to point out to the insurance company for the roof? Generally do RV shops repair siding in a quality manner? We have a very large family owned dealer in the area. Anything else I should know when dealing with insurance companies? Ours is State Farm.
Thanks,
Brandon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4939.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	57796  
brandonb316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
DDC

I would doubt that your insurance company would not just make this a total right off, at ten tears old and so much damage the labour costs alone would be in excess of the value of the trailer. Sorry this has happened to you, I seen some pictures on line of the damage done in that area and it is so sad, good luck.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Team

I had a 2003 Tahoe by Thor California which was hail-hammered about 5 years ago. State Farm sent a contract appraiser to our area (much widespread damage as in your case). He inspected our trailer fairly thoroughly although I did say "how about this? how about that? a lot. He allowed so much per linear foot for the aluminum siding and several plastic parts including the propane tank cover but didn't add anything for our damaged awning... said we didn't have coverage for it. This appraiser told me he didn't have authority to recommend but that he would NOT have the siding replaced... said it was sure to leak even with a good service shop. BTW, the siding was trashed on the rear and the curb side.

After he left, I checked with State Farm who said we indeed DID have awning coverage. Our final payout was $5500 on a trailer I had bought for $9K. That left my investment at $3500. I straightened every vane in the A/C coil and traded the trailer at a McClain's RV store. They gave me $11,200 for it. They asked if I had hail damage; I said Yes. They said they'd check it out which I brought it in for the trade. They did but didn't seem to care. They sold my trade-in within a week.

HTH

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
tjm

I bet they total it. The hail damage on my 2013 trailer was only on two sides and it was $10,000 worth of damage. I fixed the vents myself and used the rest to pay off my loan. I think most people just live with the hail damage on the siding. Insurance adjuster told me that the roof is likely ok unless you see obvious damage.
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's some pretty extensive damage. I also wouldn't be surprised at a write off. Unlike cars, they wouldn't be able to do a PDR (paintless dent repair) so they're looking at completely stripping and replacing. Most insurance companies are going to weigh the cost of repairs against the perceived valve of the repaired item. If the repairs cost more than the recoverable cost of the item, they'll just scrap it.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
CCRVOC

I had a 6 month old $17k TT that sustained $8k in hail damage. My dealer replaced three complete sides of aluminum and all the vents, to include new decals. Looked like new and no leaks.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

I had a 96 that had a tree branch go through the roof last winter , new roof $6000 trailer was worth $5800 according to Insurance they totaled it out. I'm Betting if you have a the same damage on all sides you could be above that and if there is any roof damage it may get above what the trailer's worth. Mine the buy back was only $400 so I bought it back patched the roof and sold it to another for $ 1500. A friend had their trailer flipped on it's side by high winds. It was a 2011 and it got totaled because nothing was close to square after that. They can repair this but cost may exceed worth.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

X2 on it totalling.
Our 2013 puma (34' fifth wheel) was totaled last year, and had very light hail compared to Op's. But enough for both sides to have to be replaced. After all the r&i and decals, and parts and other labor the Insurance said the estimate was $19k. I asked if they could let me keep it and they wanted alittle over $12.5k to buy back. I just let them take it and made a little bit of $ on the deal.
This was Ok farm Bureau, and we just had normal comp coverage like a normal vehicle.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote