Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Hail Hail ?

Friday hooked up and brought brand new Flagstaff home. Drive became our camping site for the weekend do to rain. First night in camper --- terrible storm with hail and now I have two broken vent covers. Bummer. Never heard noise like that before. It was like we were in a bucket and someone was beating it with a hammer. No other damage that I can see. Here is my thought -- tell me good or bad --- are there aluminum ones I can replace the plastic with so not to have to do this again ? Second question -- I would like to replace the three fold couch with a two seater Lazyboy couch. If it measures right and fits, do I have to worry about difference in weights since it will be on a slide out?
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Sorry for your damage, I can't imagine what the noise was like. My wife and I lived in Sullivan, MO for about 10 years from '86-'96. We bought Jim Eaton's old house on Vine Street. Lots of great memories and friendships in Sullivan. We drove through last weekend and it is hard to recognize it any more due to all the growth. Good luck with your questions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Sorry for your damage, I can't imagine what the noise was like. My wife and I lived in Sullivan, MO for about 10 years from '86-'96. We bought Jim Eaton's old house on Vine Street. Lots of great memories and friendships in Sullivan. We drove through last weekend and it is hard to recognize it any more due to all the growth. Good luck with your questions.

?? Did I miss something here.. Who is Jim Eaton and what does Sullivan have to do with OP?

Seems to me a 3 fold couch might be heavier than two seater lazy boy couch but don't know for sure. It probably won't matter. They don't say anything about max user weight. I weigh a lot and others do not. I can't see or have I heard of max weight on a slide. We have 4 people over for dinner and sit at the dining table which is on a slide. Don't see a problem there.

Here is a start on the metal cover... https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...2110SP-24.html

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Thanks. He knows I am in SULLIVAN. Jim is a person here in town that,s all he was referring too. I will order those vents. I would imagine all standard size ?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
?? Did I miss something here.. Who is Jim Eaton and what does Sullivan have to do with OP?

Seems to me a 3 fold couch might be heavier than two seater lazy boy couch but don't know for sure. It probably won't matter. They don't say anything about max user weight. I weigh a lot and others do not. I can't see or have I heard of max weight on a slide. We have 4 people over for dinner and sit at the dining table which is on a slide. Don't see a problem there.

Here is a start on the metal cover... https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...2110SP-24.html

Thanks for that link with metal vent covers. I, also, lost a plastic cover a few years ago due to hail so will be replacing mine with these!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
It had nothing to do with the original post in answering the question. It had everything to do with making a connection with another human being who:
1) I felt sorry for the situation they were in
2) I went through similar storms in Missouri this week
3) I once lived in the same town he did and probably know mutual friends
4) I was interested in offering support and encouragement to even if I couldn't solve his problem
5) I should have sent a PM to instead so it didn't upset or confuse anyone. My bad, it won't happen again.

Relax, it's all good. No one died or was hurt. And you helped with his question. Way to go!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #7

Before I would use Metal Lid's on the Vents and Ex Fans,I would give Real Heavy thought to "MaxAire Covers" They will allow you to do Much more than a Solid Lid! Also they will "Withstand Super Heavy Hail" for years plus All the other Benefits of MaxAir Covers! Youroo!! PS A Brand NEW Flagstaff should have came with "MaxAir Cover/Covers,how did they fair from the Hail?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

2016 Flagstaff with Factory MaxAir covers,on display at Goshen Frog Rally! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4598.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	106650   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4600 - Copy.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	106651  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Ditto on the newer Max Air covers. The newer ones are now hinged...I am not sure if all of their covers are but the larger ones for powered vents are. That makes it a whole lot easier to get in and clean them.

Plus you can keep them open when it rains if you like.

On the downside the cost would be needing to buy a new vent lid and a Max Air cover so would be probably $50.00 to $75.00 total per setup....guessing as I think plastic 14x14 lids go for around $15.00 and the Max Airs go for around $30.00 to $60.00-ish depending on the model and where you buy/order from. The covers for powered vents are more than just the non powered vents...

I just ordered the MaxxAir II RV covers and put them on all of them powered or not.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'll echo MAX AIR COVERS!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

It's all good. Thanks for the support
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
It had nothing to do with the original post in answering the question. It had everything to do with making a connection with another human being who:
1) I felt sorry for the situation they were in
2) I went through similar storms in Missouri this week
3) I once lived in the same town he did and probably know mutual friends
4) I was interested in offering support and encouragement to even if I couldn't solve his problem
5) I should have sent a PM to instead so it didn't upset or confuse anyone. My bad, it won't happen again.

Relax, it's all good. No one died or was hurt. And you helped with his question. Way to go!

Chipbruce.. No my bad for sounding rude.. After rereading my post I realized it was a little rude.. Sorry...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Chipbruce.. No my bad for sounding rude.. After rereading my post I realized it was a little rude.. Sorry...
We're good. Happy Trails to all

Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #14

i have looked up MaxAire Covers. They are larger in dimension that my 14 by 14. How would they install? Do I have to drill more holes? Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhpee View Post
i have looked up MaxAire Covers. They are larger in dimension that my 14 by 14. How would they install? Do I have to drill more holes? Thanks
You can find installation videos on YouTube. Looks easy, but yes, there is drilling into existing cover-frame.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
Just A Member

They are made larger to fit over your existing roof vent cover and are very easy to install. I also have the Max Air II covers and you can buy a separate hinge kit for them
if they are not included. I just was on my roof last weekend installing lock washers on the self drilling screws I had used. They were coming loose.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #17

I've not used the Max Air covers but have used the Fantastic Vent Ultra Breeze. It was an easy install: Remove 4 screws, install a bracket with cotter-pin post, put cover on and then install the cotter pin to hold it all together. You need to add some lap seal to keep the water out, but no drilling into anything. Just an alternative. There are videos on the instillation here: