Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Hail Season has arrived in Texas

Hail season is here. This evening we have had hail reports from all around us here in Denton, Tx. We got pea size hail, so no damage to the travel trailer. However, other parts of town have reported golf ball and baseball size hail. We also had tornado sirens going off, and a tornado on the ground just southwest of town.
Anyone in an RV, north or northeast of Dallas and south of the Oklahoma line, needs to be on alert and ready to get out and seek shelter. Keep your ears tuned to the radio/TV.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

OH HAIL!!!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

Be aware of leaving RV at a service center for an extended stay, as Texas hail storms come out of no where, FAST.
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

My coworkers were talking about this today in the Dallas area. One had both cars trashed as a result. In Colorado we will surely get our share as well pretty soon.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

We got about 1/2" dia. sized hail at my house about 8 O'clock last night. Just barely got the jeep put in the garage in time for the hail. It was funny, cuz right when the rain started going horizontal is when I ran out in the rain to get in the jeep to put it in the garage, as I jumped in the jeep I saw my neighbors headlights turn on, on his 2017 F350 king ranch and he was running out in the rain to get it in his garage.

My camper was 4 miles away and didn't even see half the rain we had at my house. My truck and my wife's car got hammered pretty good, looks like new hoods for us.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

I swear I live on the behind of the weather...

I guess I should be thankful we have no hurricanes, tidal waves or 60 below temps...
We do have tornadoes, hail, winds and ice/freezing rain
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

hail in central louisiana

we had a retreat event this past weekend in central louisiana. march 24th
my brother, a friend & me brought
our camper to the event. my friend has a multi-dented roof,
my brother has 2 dents from a fallen branch caused by the weather,
i haven't gotten on top of mine yet. today i will.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Hail season is here. This evening we have had hail reports from all around us here in Denton, Tx. We got pea size hail, so no damage to the travel trailer. However, other parts of town have reported golf ball and baseball size hail. We also had tornado sirens going off, and a tornado on the ground just southwest of town.
Anyone in an RV, north or northeast of Dallas and south of the Oklahoma line, needs to be on alert and ready to get out and seek shelter. Keep your ears tuned to the radio/TV.
I saw that last night on TV. Lucky for us in the metroplex,the storms never got south enough to hit Dallas or Tarrant counties.

It's almost a sure bet there will be more here in the coming weeks.

Wonder how the owners of the all aluminum Ford pickups that got hit with hail might fare on damage repair?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

A friend of ours posted a picture of the hail just north of Fort Worth. Took the picture along side a lemon.....hail was the same size. Lost the windshield in her Jeep.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #10

We are in N Richland Hills (Ft Worth area) taking care of grandchildren because of a medical emergency with out TT parked in Aledo. We had no hail or warnings last night also. But a son who headed back to Witchita Falls late in the afternoon had to pull over and had pictures of almost golf ball size hail and has some dents in his pick-up.
We were in Mountain View AR a few years ago and had tornadoes several nights around us so we decided to get out early. They followed us that next night in southern MO before we got back to safety in WI. So we've already decided never to camp in AR, southern MO, and OK around April and now you're telling us this part of TX should also be on that list?
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
We got about 1/2" dia. sized hail at my house about 8 O'clock last night. Just barely got the jeep put in the garage in time for the hail. It was funny, cuz right when the rain started going horizontal is when I ran out in the rain to get in the jeep to put it in the garage, as I jumped in the jeep I saw my neighbors headlights turn on, on his 2017 F350 king ranch and he was running out in the rain to get it in his garage.

My camper was 4 miles away and didn't even see half the rain we had at my house. My truck and my wife's car got hammered pretty good, looks like new hoods for us.
Can you get dry ice? Great way to get rid of dents on a flat surface. That info is from a friend in Texas.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegler View Post
We are in N Richland Hills (Ft Worth area) taking care of grandchildren because of a medical emergency with out TT parked in Aledo. We had no hail or warnings last night also. But a son who headed back to Witchita Falls late in the afternoon had to pull over and had pictures of almost golf ball size hail and has some dents in his pick-up.
We were in Mountain View AR a few years ago and had tornadoes several nights around us so we decided to get out early. They followed us that next night in southern MO before we got back to safety in WI. So we've already decided never to camp in AR, southern MO, and OK around April and now you're telling us this part of TX should also be on that list?
I don't know what media you were listening to,but all 4 of the major TV stations ran coverage of the storms plus the NWS interrupted TV with the warnings.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegler View Post
We're in Cave Springs, AR now, just outside Bentonville. Even we saw the warnings for TX and OK last night. Having grown up in the DFW area (around N Richland Hills, etc), we are well aware of tornado weather, thunderstorms and the like. Just something you have to learn to live with and use common sense while staying aware. Look up Tornado Alley so you understand it all a bit better, but don't get fooled into thinking tornadoes will stop at the WI state line, either.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

My 1 week old trailer got hit by the March hailstorm last year.

I finally got around to getting the hail damage fixed on my trailer. The roof was replaced along with laying 1/4" sheets of plywood over the existing roof plywood, all new metal skirting along one side, all new baggage doors, new skylight and new tv antenna

Total cost $14,000

Geico originally quoted it at $4500

If anyone in the DFW area needs rv hail damage repaired take it to Quality Collision repair in Garland. They fought Geico for me and got them to pay the correct amount. I didn't even have to pay a deductible.

Looks like new now and only took 1 1/2 months to get it back.

I don't have a vested interest in that shop just wanted to pass it along. It's tough to find a good rv repair guy.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #15

We had a Hailstorm go they a few years back,,, coupled with 80 to 90 mile a hour winds, it did aprox 20k of damage to our home,,, it did millions of $s worth of damage here in about 3 counties,,, Our local RV dealer got hit real hard,, blew over several units,,, even blew over an 18 wheeler with several hundred tons of steel on its flat bed !!! Thank God it lasted less than 5 minutes !!! Our little Dog has never recovered !!! Nearly scared her to death !!! Mother Nature can be a real B !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote