Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #21

81 is open to Columbus NE but you cannot go south of Columbus on 81 or west on 30. Those are still closed and broken up from the flooding. You can take 81 to Humphrey and go west on 91 to Albion and on to Spalding. At Spalding you can go south on 281 into Grand Island.
Husker country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Don't even attempt to get thru Eastern Nebraska for awhile. Flooding has shut down most of eastern part of Nebraska, Western Iowa, Northern Missouri. I-29 is closed from Rock Port Missouri, north to Missouri Valley Iowa. Many small towns are completely cut off as all roads in and out are completely covered with water. 20 minute drive to my sons place and a hour to get back home, as you have to take a completely different route home. It's horrible here. RV park I posted pic of yesterday, was completely covered today with pretty much every RV there destroyed and some being pulled into the Missouri river.
Worse than 2011, the Platte and Elkhorn didn't flood then. I'm sure other rivers are as bad. This is soo sad. Pray for us.
Lv2hike17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #23

Yep. I have my camper on a year round spot off the Platte. Moved it to higher ground just before the waters got to our lake. Incredible devastation but we were lucky.. now I need things to dry up so I can go pickup my new camper (and transfer ownership of the old one)
Other Ride: 2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #24

Hurricane Floyd came through a few years ago, the weather center said it was a 500 year flood. Hurricane Florence came through last year, who would have thought another 500 year flood. Farmers will tell you a drought will scare you and a flood will kill you. Flooding is bad, hopefully there is better days ahead.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #25

I have family that live in Omaha and Missouri Valley, IA. Pretty bad over there. I was just on i29 3 weeks ago. It was 4 degrees that day! Terrible situation for Western Iowa and Nebraska.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #26

Heading across Nebraska and Iowa

Thanks for this post and replies. We have a trip planned from Alabama to Colorado and from there Wisconsin Followed by Kentucky before heading back to Alabama. The Colorado to Wisconsin leg has us going through Nebraska and Iowa the first week of April. I am wondering if we need to move this to later in the month. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Wino8313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2hike17 View Post
Worse than 2011, the Platte and Elkhorn didn't flood then. I'm sure other rivers are as bad. This is soo sad. Pray for us.
Platte and Elkhorn did flood in 2011, but not even close to what it's done this year. 2011, the Platte was 5 feet from taking out a co workers house, this year the platte took out the entire subdivision and lake where his house is.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino8313 View Post
Thanks for this post and replies. We have a trip planned from Alabama to Colorado and from there Wisconsin Followed by Kentucky before heading back to Alabama. The Colorado to Wisconsin leg has us going through Nebraska and Iowa the first week of April. I am wondering if we need to move this to later in the month. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Should be ok as long as you are taking I80 through Nebraska into Iowa. If you’re camping along the way you want to check. Campgrounds along the Niobrara, Platte and Elkhorn rivers likely won’t be open.
Other Ride: 2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino8313 View Post
Right now I-29 is closed from St. Joe Missouri to Missouri Valley Iowa. There is only a small section of 29 open between Omaha and Council Bluffs. Coming north on 29 from MO, you need to exit onto 229 in St. Joe, go west on 36 to Fairview KS and then Hwy 34/75 north to Plattsmouth and Omaha. I-29 could be closed for several months or longer as the water has not gone down in many places and damage assessment is still on-going. As JayFro pointed out...I-80 is good east to west from Iowa all across Nebraska.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #30

Side note to any of you Ex or retired AF personnel Offutt AFB in Bellevue, NE did sustain substantial damage as at the crest of the Missouri river level, 1/3 of Offutts runway and Air base was under water. All aircraft is now stationed in Lincoln NE. until damage and cleanup is completed on Hanger and Maintenance facilities all around the base.

I posted a few pics this morning from a local CG in Bellevue under the Thread Nebraska Flooding 2019
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #31

We still have three feet of it on the ground but at least it started melting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190315_140400.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	199345  
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #32

Needing to go from Austin to Fargo pulling my 37ft Jayco would Grand Island be far enough west to avoid most of the flooding? Any other suggestions would be appreciated
advrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider View Post
Needing to go from Austin to Fargo pulling my 37ft Jayco would Grand Island be far enough west to avoid most of the flooding? Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Think you'd be ok going out that far. I'm on the Eastern side of Nebraska so I concentrate more on what's happening in that area. Nebraska 511 Travel info has good information on what's open and closed right now.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #34

Here are a few pics I took on 03/21/19 around a local CG we use to go to. Now this is just a very small portion of the flooding still on going across NE, IA, MO, KS. We have 15 bridges gone in the state and at last count...150 miles of roads that sustained heavy damage along with 100's of miles of railway that have been heavily damaged.

IMG_20190321_192719468_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190321_192729735_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190321_193018763_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190321_193032719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190321_193608062_HDR.jpg
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #35

Here is a link for all the Nebraska SP that have been affected, some closed some partially closed and some not impacted at all. I feel sorry for the ones that had reservations at the closed sites, this is going to put a damper on camping. I have a permanent site north of Blair,Ne that flooded, I didn't have my camper there it was in storage from the floods last year, however we have great campground owners, they will move your camper to higher ground automatically, the only time they wont touch your campers is if you have a hitch lock on it and they can't hook up to it. Hopefully we can get back in there in about a week.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Here is a link for all the Nebraska SP that have been affected, some closed some partially closed and some not impacted at all. I feel sorry for the ones that had reservations at the closed sites, this is going to put a damper on camping. I have a permanent site north of Blair,Ne that flooded, I didn't have my camper there it was in storage from the floods last year, however we have great campground owners, they will move your camper to higher ground automatically, the only time they wont touch your campers is if you have a hitch lock on it and they can't hook up to it. Hopefully we can get back in there in about a week.
Have you seen the pics of Merritts Beach RV Park between Bellevue and Plattsmouth ? 100% devastation of all the campers left over winter. It's still half filled with water.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Have you seen the pics of Merritts Beach RV Park between Bellevue and Plattsmouth ? 100% devastation of all the campers left over winter. It's still half filled with water.
I did, I have some pictures of the Moorehead RV park east of Plattsmouth along the Missouri, those campers were under water as well, some of them floated down the river, when I was there looking at I was talking to guy that was there trying to find his camper near where the river was supposed to be but he couldn't find it, Several of my co-workers had/have campers at Linden Lakes west of Plattsmouth, they are underwater as well.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #38

Sorry looks like I forgot to add the link in my post above. :eek

Severe weather closures - Nebraska Game and ParksNebraska Game and Parks |