View Poll Results: What license level do you hold?
Extra 31 42.47%
Advanced - (No longer issued but valid) 4 5.48%
General 22 30.14%
Technician 14 19.18%
Novice - (No longer issued but valid) 1 1.37%
GMRS - ONLY 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Oh, FYI

They are changing the Extra lesson plans 1 July 2016.

The new question bank will be heavily slanted towards computers and digital signal processing. That part of the current test was some of the hardest material to learn. I looked at the pre-release questions and was concerned enough to get off my butt and get my ticket now rather than wait for the next round of material.

Word to the wise...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #32

As of today I have not taken any radio equipment along for camping excursions. But it is in the plans. I am a know code licensee tested by the FCC and licensed since 1964. CW is still my favorite mode of operation. I have worked over 250 different countries all around the world.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #33
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Since I passed the exam for Amateur Extra last night I was wondering how many HAMs are forum members and what frequencies you hang out on.

Do you take your rigs on the road?

I have a Yaesu FT-857D and use a Super Antenna Super Antenna for quick stops and an Eagle One Eagle One vertical antenna if we plan on staying a while.

I also try to carry a Baofeng BF-F8HP for "walking around"
I've had my tech for ~7 yrs now. Keep thinking I need to test up. I keep a 2m/440 (kenwood tm-v71a) in the truck when I'm on the road and I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive 2m for the new camper.

-rvb
Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #34

My original interest in ham radio was to prepare for that 10.0 earthquake they expect to hit the Oregon Coast area I live in. While I love our trailer(251rks) for camping it will come in real handy when disaster strikes. I plan on taking my radio camping to make sure it work when needed. When I can afford a better radio my alinco dx sr8t will become My RV rig. I haven't decided on a portable antenna but the eagle1 looks good. I look forward to camping this year with a new trailer, the general license I just got last year and no job to slow me down.Good times. 73.
Themeads46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #35

Well I am on my second round with a ham license. I let me original license expire in 2003, recently started wanting to get back in so I went down and passed my tech. New call is KD9FPQ, will need to start studying for my General.
I plan on setting some gear up when we go on long trips, for now, have a quad band (70cm, 2m,6m and 10m) in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #36

Herk, kudos on your extra class upgrade. Ham radio is a wonderful hobby. It's interesting to note that the ARRL letter this month says that the number of licenses is increasing. It's great fun to be part of a hobby that continues to adapt no matter how fast technology advances.

I'm not as active on HF as I once was, but I have 2 mtrs in th truck. Maybe this season I'll try some CW from the picnic table.

Rick - K8RWG - Extra Class since 2002

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy-rick View Post
Herk, kudos on your extra class upgrade. Ham radio is a wonderful hobby. It's interesting to note that the ARRL letter this month says that the number of licenses is increasing. It's great fun to be part of a hobby that continues to adapt no matter how fast technology advances.

I'm not as active on HF as I once was, but I have 2 mtrs in th truck. Maybe this season I'll try some CW from the picnic table.

Rick - K8RWG - Extra Class since 2002
Thank you so much. Seems the direction forward is the marrying of Computers and Amateur radio in ways that allows sending and receiving of messages all over the world (similar to email but without using the internet).

Software Defined Radio (SDR) is also pretty neat. I bought a "dongle" (about the size if a USB stick) HF SDR radio for less than 30 bucks that can receive HF broadcasts from all over the world using just an antenna.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #38

Congrats on the Extra ticket, Herk! I always take my KX3 with me camping. Here's a couple of pics of a kit I put together so I can take a complete working radio with me wherever I go. The radio will operate on AA batteries, but I usually take a power supply if I'm on a trip. I have several other portable antennas that I use on occasion. I usually work the 20 and 40 meter bands!

73's

Mark
W3ZZT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamkit1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	102010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamkit2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	102011  
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
Congrats on the Extra ticket, Herk! I always take my KX3 with me camping. Here's a couple of pics of a kit I put together so I can take a complete working radio with me wherever I go. The radio will operate on AA batteries, but I usually take a power supply if I'm on a trip. I have several other portable antennas that I use on occasion. I usually work the 20 and 40 meter bands!

73's

Mark
W3ZZT
Thanks Mark, That is a cool kit!

I am building a backpack frame for my Yaesu FT-857D, LDG YT-100 and SuperAntenna so the entire rig will be man portable. It has 28 AH of battery power and a solar charger.

I will post some photos when done. I will upload the build specs when I get it finished.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #40

I couldn't vote.

We did, however, use our FRS handhelds quite a bit this week camping. It was nice to have the girls (10 and 12) let us know when they made it to the trampoline, when they were headed back, etc.

We could have used phones, but if they had their phones with them they wouldn't have gone outside...

Also used the FRS when DW was spotting during backup and stuff.

I got my HAM tech no-code ticket many years ago, but let it expire. Had a dual-band HT I never used.

The FRS radios are cheap and simple and handy.

10k/1k HaulMaster WDH stopped by a
Prodigy P2 brake controller
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio