View Poll Results: What license level do you hold?
Extra 31 42.47%
Advanced - (No longer issued but valid) 4 5.48%
General 22 30.14%
Technician 14 19.18%
Novice - (No longer issued but valid) 1 1.37%
GMRS - ONLY 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #61

Recently retired after living and working overseas for many years. Ham since 1976, but haven't been on the air in about 8 years. Bought the Travel Trailer last month are now on our first extended trip. Looking forward to taking my HF rig with me next time! Still Advanced Class, never was able to get the code speed up to 20 wpm. I think I can upgrade now!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechiePhil View Post
Recently retired after living and working overseas for many years. Ham since 1976, but haven't been on the air in about 8 years. Bought the Travel Trailer last month are now on our first extended trip. Looking forward to taking my HF rig with me next time! Still Advanced Class, never was able to get the code speed up to 20 wpm. I think I can upgrade now!

Yep, I think you can upgrade now TechiePhil. :-)))

Brandi
W6FPT

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #63

Congrats on the Extra. I'm studying for mine, just haven't had a lot of time to dedicate.

KG4WWH here. Always take the HF, if I have time I set it up, if not..... Oh well! This used to be a home station, so reducing it to a pelican case has been interesting. I have not quite reduced it far enough. I use 2 primary antennas, a long wire that I sling-shot in to a tree or an SGC-303 vertical. I plan to re-design the case for more manageability, but am looking for a way to bring the service into the camper so I know exactly what I need. I have considered hiding the electronics behind a cabinet door or something, and using the remote head. but getting the antenna and ground to the outside has been the challenge so far. The camper is brand new, and the XYL isn't ready to screw in the paper towel holder yet, so I dare not ask to drill a wire pass through......

Adam
Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #64
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resq-Comm View Post
Congrats on the Extra. I'm studying for mine, just haven't had a lot of time to dedicate.

KG4WWH here. Always take the HF, if I have time I set it up, if not..... Oh well! This used to be a home station, so reducing it to a pelican case has been interesting. I have not quite reduced it far enough. I use 2 primary antennas, a long wire that I sling-shot in to a tree or an SGC-303 vertical. I plan to re-design the case for more manageability, but am looking for a way to bring the service into the camper so I know exactly what I need. I have considered hiding the electronics behind a cabinet door or something, and using the remote head. but getting the antenna and ground to the outside has been the challenge so far. The camper is brand new, and the XYL isn't ready to screw in the paper towel holder yet, so I dare not ask to drill a wire pass through......

Adam
Adam, I normally route the wires out the bottom of the slideout. Stop the side "almost" all the way out and feed the connectors out the bottom; then fully extend the slide. This will "pinch seal" the cables at the very bottom of the seal and, if you use a drip loop outside, any rain will not enter the camper.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #65

Wife and I are both extra class we run an alinco SR9 in travel trailer using a manual screwdriver and a dual band we've had our license for 18 years now and enjoy talking all over the world . We run hand held while camping to keep in touch while out running around. This has been the best hobby ever for the both of us. Enjoy the hobby
Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #66

Ham radio on the rod

I was wondering if anybody else does what i do and drive and monitor 70cm and 2m nat call freq. also we live in FLORIDA and have a statewide sar net. if coming to FLORIDA look it up there are tower repeaters from one end of florida to the other and down to the keys. nice to hear from other hams out there 73,s
Old 10-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #67

To (liveoakfl) Yes sir we do I have radio in all our vehicals their are times when I tow down to go camping and my wife follows a day later . Thanks for response I forgot to include my call Kd5fpm and my wife kd5fpl we plan on a trip to visit family this spring going to Arkansas , Tennessee, and Kentucky but haven't planned the return trip yet. We run yaesu in mobile the ft100 and 2900 Name here is Ron
73's
Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #68

Yes i also may not have state call sign KK4WFW LIVE OAK FLORIDA, be safe and have fun.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #69

I had a Yaesu Ft-2900 in my truck but removed it because there is no activity on 2M,Also have a Kenwood TS-590SG in my Cedar Creek with a 40/75 meter dipole. W5CI

Amateur Radio W5CI
AR-0043-296
2016 Days Camping 50
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio