Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
trudinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,326
Hangers

Does anyone have any tricks to get hangers to stay on a regular closet rod while traveling? We haven't been successful so far. Every trip, all the hangers/clothes fly off the rod in the bathroom closet and wind up in a huge mess on the floor. The wardrobe closets in the bedroom have the metal "rod" with the holes for the hangers. I originally thought I hated those, but at least the clothes and hangers stay on them while traveling! Lynx (the same people that make Lynx Levelers) have some hangers (Lynx Stay Put Hangers) but they are $6.99 + shipping for 6 of them!! Way too pricey. I've been thinking of some sort of rod or strap to hold them all together while in transit, but this wouldn't prevent them from coming off of the rod.

Any suggestions/solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,098
Use metal wired hangers and bend around the rod. Just a thought.
__________________

__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Barney1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Does anyone have any tricks to get hangers to stay on a regular closet rod while traveling? We haven't been successful so far. Every trip, all the hangers/clothes fly off the rod in the bathroom closet and wind up in a huge mess on the floor. The wardrobe closets in the bedroom have the metal "rod" with the holes for the hangers. I originally thought I hated those, but at least the clothes and hangers stay on them while traveling! Lynx (the same people that make Lynx Levelers) have some hangers (Lynx Stay Put Hangers) but they are $6.99 + shipping for 6 of them!! Way too pricey. I've been thinking of some sort of rod or strap to hold them all together while in transit, but this wouldn't prevent them from coming off of the rod.

Any suggestions/solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have attached a crude diagram of a solution we have used in the past.
It tends to work.

All you need is a number of Velcro Straps available from hardware stores or sewing stores. Wrap the strap around the Rod and the Hanger.

You can get fancy with how you arrange the strap to keep it close to the "hook" of the hanger but it is not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClothesHangerSolution.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	11397  
__________________
Barney

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Barney1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 308
you can twist the Velcro so it stays close to the "hook" of the hanger like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClothesHangerSolution2.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	11398  
__________________
Barney

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post
you can twist the Velcro so it stays close to the "hook" of the hanger like this:
Very good idea and details as well.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
We use the slide out poles and set them just down to the top side of the hangers to the front or back of the hanger hooks. Keeps the hangers from jumping up and off. Just position them as close to the vertical part of the hangers and close to where they go horizontal.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Sask. Canada
Posts: 69
We bought some insulating foam used to insulate copper pipes it is round and has a slit in one side. Put it over the round clothes hanger rods and it seems that the hangers grip on the foam and will not slide around. Seems to work quite well but our closets are in the front of the camper.
__________________
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
trudinator here your answer ! Office Coat Hangers

Name:   closedloop.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  13.5 KB
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
We found that if we simply reverse the hangers it greatly reduces the
times they jump off the rod. Try facing the hook side towards you rather
than away from you.

Also you can get a foam "noodle" pool toy.
Slit it longways.
Hang your clothes as usual.
Place the slit noodle over the rod, hangers and all.

When you arrive you can remove the noodle for normal use of the closet.

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
We use the slide out poles and set them just down to the top side of the hangers to the front or back of the hanger hooks. Keeps the hangers from jumping up and off. Just position them as close to the vertical part of the hangers and close to where they go horizontal.
This also is our method - got the small expandable curtain rods.
__________________

__________________
Everett & Joan after 60 years together. 2004 1/2 ton Chevy & 2011 Rockwood 1809S

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.