Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Team

Hankook Silent Foam and Continental Contisilent tires

We just had our actual first experience with Hankooks new tire that has a silent foam inside it with a customers 2019 Nissan Rogue.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/new...top-tier-brand

I'm sharing this info in case you get a vehicle in the future that has these Hankooks on it or possibly a similar constructed Continental ContiSilent tire.

You may find dealers hesitant or unwilling to repair these tires and will replace them only.

Here are some links to more info and a repair procedure:

https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8677

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

I read you links I can see why a dealer wouldn't want to take the extra time/steps to repair. What happens if the repairman forgets to replace the foam? Sometimes new ideas are not always better I will reserve my judgment.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
What happens if the repairman forgets to replace the foam?

Depending on the weight of the foam, it may slightly change the balance.

I hope these type tires do not become mainstream, as the customer will not appreciate:

A: Dealers refusing to repair them

B: Dealers adding on the extra cost of time and process if they do repair them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
2012 Solera

A general comment - tire repair technology hasn’t kept pace. Shoulder nail punctures “unrepairable” - often results in recommendation to replace both tires on an axle or even all four tires on an all wheel drive vehicle to match tread depth. Run flat tires, now “silent foam” tires - default is often to replace - often not one but two or four tires. We the consumers need better alternatives!
Back to tubes?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Put some of the banned EPA stuff back into the tires so they actually last more than 2-3 years!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #6

I don't know anything about these new fangled foam tires but I can tell you that tomorrow I am changing my original equipment Hankook tires on my 2015 F-150 which have 56K miles on them. 30K of those miles were towing a 32' Coachmen Chaparral Lite 5th wheel. I ordered and am going to install the same tires and hopefully they will last another 56K miles. To be honest I could probably get another 5K miles out of them but I don't like changing flat tires.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Depending on the weight of the foam, it may slightly change the balance.
I'm a service tech at a Volvo car dealership. Some models of the new cars have been coming with the foam lined tires made by Pirelli and Continental since 2017. When the foam breaks free it causes a bad vibration. Most of the ones that we have problems with are the Pirellis and when the foam breaks free we have been replacing the tires. Most of the failures have been in low mileage tires and the tire manufacturers have been paying for them.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
I'm a service tech at a Volvo car dealership. Some models of the new cars have been coming with the foam lined tires made by Pirelli and Continental since 2017. When the foam breaks free it causes a bad vibration. Most of the ones that we have problems with are the Pirellis and when the foam breaks free we have been replacing the tires. Most of the failures have been in low mileage tires and the tire manufacturers have been paying for them.

That is good to know and thanks for sharing. I haven't encountered a Pirelli yet, but now know to expect such.

I found this test from Car and Driver on some Continentals though:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...sh-road-noise/

------------------------------------

I also see Michelin has their version of the same:

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/wh...echnology.html

Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
NH Maple Maker

Interesting articles. My experience with the noise reduction is like the Car and Driver test results. The noise difference to me isn't noticeable. I have a constant ringing in my ears and thought that it may have been just me.

I do feel that Michelins claim of a 20% reduction is an advertising gimmick to sell the tires. I haven't seen any of the Michelins on a Volvo yet so haven't had a chance to drive one and listen myself.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I don't know anything about these new fangled foam tires but I can tell you that tomorrow I am changing my original equipment Hankook tires on my 2015 F-150 which have 56K miles on them. 30K of those miles were towing a 32' Coachmen Chaparral Lite 5th wheel. I ordered and am going to install the same tires and hopefully they will last another 56K miles. To be honest I could probably get another 5K miles out of them but I don't like changing flat tires.
I'm with ya RVDixie. I just replaced a set of original equipment Hankook Kinergy GT tires on my Hyundai Sonata with 109,000 miles this morning. And they still had 4/32's of tread left. I only replaced them because I noticed they has some minor surface cracking in the sidewall and we are approaching snow season here in Cincy. Granted, I am fanatical about checking tire pressures at least weekly or anytime it doesn't feel right and about 90% of those 109k were highway miles as I did my 102 each way commute 5 days a week. Still, that's about 30k more miles on a set of tires to the next best I've ever had which were also Hankook Kinergy GT's on a Elantra I put 200k on. I'm a fan and wish they made trailer tires cause I'd be a moving billboard for them.

Tags
tire, tires