Old 10-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Has anyone installed an LED light bar on the front of their camper?

My camper doesn't have lights on the front. We'd like to do some traveling next year, and foresee getting into campgrounds pretty late.

I picked up an LED light bar new in box for $30, a guy was selling it on a local facebook swap board.

I'm debating about mounting it on the front of my camper, angled down so I can light up my hitch area, for unhooking the camper in the dark.

What are your thoughts on this?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I'm debating about mounting it on the front of my camper, angled down so I can light up my hitch area, for unhooking the camper in the dark.

The light bar is probably a bit too much light for the front of the camper, even if aimed down. Your goal should be to see well enough to get unhitched and leveled efficiently with minimum disturbance and light shining into the neighboring sites. A lower-powered light such as is installed at the factory on many FR campers would be more appropriate, or a flashlight. White Oval Porch Light with Switch, Clear Lens - Husky 51701 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
The light bar is probably a bit too much light for the front of the camper, even if aimed down. Your goal should be to see well enough to get unhitched and leveled efficiently with minimum disturbance and light shining into the neighboring sites. A lower-powered light such as is installed at the factory on many FR campers would be more appropriate, or a flashlight. White Oval Porch Light with Switch, Clear Lens - Husky 51701 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

I hope the folks at FR read some of these post. Our 2016 Work and Play has 2 led strips on the front cap that are so bright, NASA ask me to not use them so the space station can make out the earth.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475460005.541591.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	122015
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

I wouldn't bother. If setting up in the dark is a concern get on of those LED "head" lights. You then have light wherever you go and your hands are free.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

My 310BHDS came with nose lights which I use once in a great while. Usually the gentle red glow of my TV tail lights is sufficient.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
I hope the folks at FR read some of these post. Our 2016 Work and Play has 2 led strips on the front cap that are so bright, NASA ask me to not use them so the space station can make out the earth.
Those must be the same ones they put on the front of my SOB TT. They look cool, but really? Do they need to be that bright? Oh yeah, they put the switch for them in the front basement where it could be conveniently reached at any time.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
My camper doesn't have lights on the front. We'd like to do some traveling next year, and foresee getting into campgrounds pretty late.

I picked up an LED light bar new in box for $30, a guy was selling it on a local facebook swap board.

Yes, photos attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2204.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	122058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	122059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	122060  
Old 10-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

I would actually prefer lights on the back to make it easier backing into a campsite at night.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I would actually prefer lights on the back to make it easier backing into a campsite at night.
Mine has a stacked 6 light (12 total) bar on the back tt bumper for backing up. It also works well for a quick campsite check in the middle of the night. I use an elastic shower cap to cover it when traveling to keep the police happy, remember the covers required on our off road KC lights.

Nights camped 2016- 20
Days at dealer 2016- 37
firsthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, led, light