Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I assume the OP meant Buccee's.

They have plenty of room for my 44' fifth wheel pull by 22' truck. Heck, I was able to fill my diesel in the truck and gas into the generator at the same time. Perfectly spaced for us!
Yes isn’t it nice
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #22

This is true, flat towing the Edge so backing up is not an option unless we unhook.��
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #23

Some of the Pilots and Flying J's have RV lanes with Gas.

I can see your pain though. It's nice having a Diesel so I can use the truck lanes. No problems with parking to run in and use the restroom or take a sanity break either.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #24
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Holy cow! Where was that thing built, Newport News, Virginia?
maaaaybe.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #25

Two times (on two different trips) I pulled into a gas station that wasn’t a pull through. Both times were along 15 in the Gettysburg area (what’s up with that, PA?). It was a little hairy backing out with a line of people waiting for gas! So glad my new TV has a large tank and I really don’t need to get gas while hooked up!
Old 11-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #26

Small towns are sometimes hard to get in and out of, I also always try to fill up before I come into a big city. I use the flying J app mostly, you can put your profile in and they will show you RV friendly stations, not all flying J’s are. I also have the love app to. Also I always go to the outside pump island it’s normally easier to get in and out, being I can’t back up I have to be careful. I start looking at about a 1/2 tank so it gives me plenty of time to find a easier place to fill up. I don’t bother looking for the cheapest gas price I look for the easiest place to fill up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #27

As far as Buccees, they are anti truck.
If you pull in there in a truck to purchase something, they will accost you about the time the wheels quit turning and tell you to leave.
As a truck driver, I take exception to places like that.
They certainly won't get my rv business!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
Sorry meant to type Buc-ees
Up north we have "Bucky's"
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #29

"Go Diesel and pull in with the big boys, no problems with getting in and out of pumps. We are about 56 feet total, and I feel your pain"

However gas stations for diesel are 15c to 25c cheaper than truck stops.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"Go Diesel and pull in with the big boys, no problems with getting in and out of pumps. We are about 56 feet total, and I feel your pain"

However gas stations for diesel are 15c to 25c cheaper than truck stops.
They're not all that way.. I've seen that too.

You gotta look around a bit. Certain states seem more friendly than others.

My guess is that they want to cater to the fleet crowd and they're offering discounts.

Last summer on our trip up north there was a big truck stop in Illinois I think. Huge signs off the interstate. I was desperate so I pulled off. When I got there, Diesel was outrageous. I started to look around and saw a small run down gas station with a single truck lane for Diesel. It was 30 cents a gallon cheaper than the truck stops all around me.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I've never heard of Buc-red...... but I drag my 13' 3" tall by 32.5' long 5th wheel into many gas stations without issue.
What Dan said
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #32

this subject of 'fueling' can get a little scattered because we all 'drive' or 'pull' something different...and what we 'pull' it with, or 'pull' behind us is even different.
Also, every driver has a different feel, process, and comfort range for how they 'fuel' their rig, plus many don't care about the price as long as it's 'easy' to maneuver, yet many of us others will look more at price than convenience.

Pulling into a fuel station with an F250 dually and a 42' fifth-wheel is going to be a different experience than pulling into the same station with a 42' diesel coach towing an F150.
First, your fuel type might be different. 'Regular' versus 'diesel'. Those pumps can be in different locations, or might be combined at the same pump.
Second, many of the same 'type' RVs have fuel fills at different locations on the unit...some on the driver side near the rear, some at the rear near the corner, and even some on the rear in the 'middle'. Most any diesel coach will be up near the driver, and even on EITHER side.
Third, fuel stations make their own choices as to their 'layout' of travel lanes and pumps, much having to do with the actual acreage of the lot and how to best 'maximize' their area...more pumps might equate to more income. The thought that they are going to give more space and less pumps 'just to appease RVrs' is probably far fetched, from a business angle. RVrs are FAR fewer and farther in-between than any other vehicle/combination. While fuel stations might hope that everyone uses their station, the RV segment is not going to be a determining factor in their decision, if space is a limiting factor.

Do you use Murphy stations within Walmart parking lots? They can same you money, but they are typically the MOST confined of all fueling stations. They can be brand new, corporately owned, and easy to find, but they are also some of the most limiting and challenging stations out there. We use them anyway.
We have found that some of the easiest stations to maneuver are actually 'mom and pop' stations, just the opposite of what some will say. Corporate fueling stations can 'seem' more open, but sometimes you find that the shear number of other vehicles can cramp your style, create even more hazards, and the pricing is sometimes just crazy, when it comes to a comparison of the cost for a 'regular' station at the next exit, where many fewer cars are.

Can finding fuel stations with a 'big rig' be a challenge? Yes.
Do you have to feel as though you are 'cramping' someone else's style because you might be taking up two pumps, or sticking out into the travel lanes? No.

As for the owners not understanding that 'signage' for the diesel pumps might be warranted for us big rigs to easier see, I can only assume that they don't understand the reasons, and probably don't do too many customer surveys to find out. We've certainly driving into many stations where you would think the diesel pumps would be plainly marked, or easy to identify, only to find out they are actually in the BACK of the station, behind the store, and out of sight of the entrance. Some are actually on the side of the lot, all by themselves. Some stations do us a service, and actually have the diesel pumps on the end, with ONLY diesel fuel - nice. But, of course, that doesn't help the F250 gas truck pulling the 42' fifth-wheel - they still have to find a way to maneuver to the gas pumps. Ugh.

We will all always have reasons to argue about fuel stations, though we probably do that even with our cars, from time to time. There's no perfect station for everyone. If there is, the semi's will complain, because it doesn't include them!

: )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #33

I usually fuel before towing or after getting to my destination that being said I have followed my brother into some pretty tight gas stations when we go together on a trip he was pulling his fiver with his Tundra and it sucked up fuel. He has since gotten a F-250 Diesel and we have yet to go somewhere because of him changing jobs. would be interesting to see how far he can go now.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #34
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Go Diesel and pull in with the big boys, no problems with getting in and out of pumps. We are about 56 feet total, and I feel your pain

After too many frustrating experiences at front pumps we also tend to just head to the big rig truck lanes. Waits can be long at times, especially if the driver "forgot" to move up after fueling and instead heard his shower called!! Or waited in line at the Subway. But all in all most are courteous and move ahead even though I have on two occasions had to back out since the move ahead stayed there (Subway, Shower??? )

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #35

We have 2-120 gallon fuel tanks on our truck so with the proper planning I almost can always just run the truck to get fuel, I do like the Murphy for fuel, I go into the Walmart load a gift card with about $300 then go out and get diesel, with that large of a purchase we save quite a few dollars.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #36
Site Team

Gas stations pay my wife's paycheck so I have no problems with them.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
As far as Buccees, they are anti truck.
If you pull in there in a truck to purchase something, they will accost you about the time the wheels quit turning and tell you to leave.
As a truck driver, I take exception to places like that.
They certainly won't get my rv business!
Have you given any thought to organizing a full-out boycott against Buc-ee's? If they don't want your truck on their lot, maybe the rest of us should stop buying their food and gas/diesel and maybe stop using their clean restrooms.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Some of the Pilots and Flying J's have RV lanes with Gas.

I can see your pain though. It's nice having a Diesel so I can use the truck lanes. No problems with parking to run in and use the restroom or take a sanity break either.
When I finish pumping at the truck lanes I just pull up to the yellow line. No need to park. I pull my personal bathroom facilities and have plenty of time (probably 15+ minutes) to use them without taking a chance on what I may find inside the truck stop.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #39

Actually the truck and camper hooked up has never been in a gas station or truckstop. I have a auxiliary fuel tank. I guess it has saved me money over the years, it takes extra diesel to haul extra weight around. Now days I don’t travel more than a tank a day, 300 miles is all I want to drive each day. Takes away the beer time
jimmycaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #40
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycaps View Post
Actually the truck and camper hooked up has never been in a gas station or truckstop. I have a auxiliary fuel tank. I guess it has saved me money over the years, it takes extra diesel to haul extra weight around. Now days I don’t travel more than a tank a day, 300 miles is all I want to drive each day. Takes away the beer time
I agree. When the "Low Beer Warning Light" goes off, it's time to camp

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas