Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #21

Yes, my wife and I went to Alaska for 3 months! We put a LEER tall topper on our Ram 1500 4X4. I built a couple of plywood beds with foam "mattress", and took an ice cooler, propane 2 burner stove, port-a-potty, a duffel bag full of clothes and a full tank of gas. Nothing bad to report, we just stayed out of any city bigger than 500 people. We camped where we wanted along the highway each night, ate our own prepared food, and enjoyed all the wonderful wild life, mountains, and small towns and great/very friendly people! It is definitely the high lite of all the traveling we've done in 40 years around the US, as well as the rest of the world.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #22

This is an adventure of a lifetime.... don't pass it buy. We did it in 2013... Class C towing a Jeep Wrangler. Did the same route as many have already posted. The "Top of the World Highway" was completely covered with low cloud... made the trip more interesting as you were always looking for the road ahead of you. Lots of excitement with the narrowness of the road and the cliffs. Don't let that scare you, it is well worth the journey... just take your time! The only real border question when entering the U.S.A. was whether we were carrying any firewood. If you come from the Yukon, leave your firewood in the Yukon! Spend the night with the Buffalo in Liard Hot Springs. Lots of animals enroute... enjoy! Had snow in May.... see my avatar! Would I do it again... at the first chance however my other half insists we go South before we venture North again!. Read all the posts about gas stations etc. Lots of places to stay enroute.
JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

We drove our motor home up in 2011. Like everyone says it is a great trip. Buy the Mikepost and plan your own trip. Move along at your own speed. We did a tour up there back in 2005. We moved too fast. We would have spent more time at many places.

We spent the whole summer up there in 2011. Some areas on the AlCan are remote but there is enough traffic to get help if you needed it. Fuel stops were a couple hundred miles apart in some places. The only bad part of the road if you go early is from Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek in the Yukon. Just after break up it doesn't even look like a road in places. We couldn't drive over 20 mph for that 80 mile stretch. Some drove faster but we met them later in Tok with bent axles, rims etc. some people just can't slow down. One guy passed us hit a huge frost heave. His toad broke free and went over a bank. I flashed the lights trying to get his attention but he drove off.

If you go in early July, they are grading the road then. It is much better on the return trip in September. We cruised right alone. All that aside. We never made a reservation any where. We liked boondocking up there. The state parks are in beautiful locations. They have no services so you travel with a full water tank and generator. Gas stations and many grocery stores have water, propane and dump stations for your use. No charge except for propane.

You travel in a big circle. Look at the map. You keep running into the same people all summer. It's fun sitting around a fire sharing bear, moose and fishing stories. If you like to fish bring your waders and gear. When the salmon run you have never seen so many fish.

I could go on forever. There is so much to see. It's best to travel at your own pace. Get that all important Milepost. It is valuable. It covers all the routes down to tenth of miles. Pick a different route back. We did the Casier highway back. More remote and many bears in the road. Have fun. We have made the trip three times and might do it again.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You will have a fantastic time!

We traveled last year through BC, Yukon and Alaska. 2.5 months in total. For 3 weeks we were three campers together the rest we were solo.

We have 47 blog posts from this trip if of interest. Post number one is here.

Have fun. Picture below is from Cottonwood RV Park on Kluane Lake, Yukon on our way to Alaska.

Beautiful.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
Dusty72

Was born and raised in AK. Lol and if i had a dollar for everytime i drove the Alaskan highway i would be rich. Beautiful drive but old to me. Told my wife she would have to do some major whinning if she wanted her and i to go up it. I think im ok, for now. Enjoy the trip travelers and enjoy my home state
DC 235BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #26

We have flown to Alaska and rented a motorhome 3 times. It was great. ABC Motorhome usually have a deal in the fall where you book and pay for trip the following year and sometime in the spring and around the middle of August and you get it for half price. The units are stocked with bedding, towels and all the kitchen items you would need. You need only to stop at the grocery store and liquor store on your way out of town. They don't charge for each mile as they do down here. It's a real bargain and you can travel as you please. We were headed south one year when we saw Denali from the Anchorage farmer's market so we headed north and saw the mountain for 4 days in a row!

Looking forward to my 15th trip up there maybe in the fall when northern lights start getting visible. I was there this past March when it was minus 36° but the lights were just amazing.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #27

We are considering flying and renting a RV next year. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #28

We have used ABC Motorhome 3 times, so far. Sign up to receive e-mails at www.abcmotorhome.com They are advertising now for discounts for next year. We have always gone around the 18-21st of August for about 10-12 days. They charge by the day and you don't pay per mile like places down here do. You only refill the gas and propane tanks upon return. The motorhomes are fully equipped with bedding, towels, and a well stocked kitchen. You need only stop at the grocery store and liquor store on your way out of Anchorage.

When picking up the unit they have grills, outdoor folding chairs and coolers to rent. The cost has been $5 per item for the length of your trip. There have always been bags of charcoal to take as well as starter. They have a "free" table where the previous camper has left the items they didn't use, like dishwashing soap, aluminum foil, paper towels, cooking oil, toilet paper, boxed items, canned sodas and even some beer. The refrigerator has items like eggs, mayonnaise, etc. Well worth checking out. Food is expensive up there. I have packed coffee, filters,a bar of soap, seasonings, crackers, cereal or oatmeal in zip lock bags, snack foods and other things that pack well and doesn't put my suitcase over 50lbs. It is easier done than you think.

One year a friend and I went halibut fishing and were we ever lucky. We had halibut tacos and grilled halibut which when fresh like that was delicious. Look for fishermen selling fish along the road or in parking lots. While in Homer photographing 2 adult eagles feeding their young my husband found a guy selling shrimp and scallops, wow what a treat. That eagle's nest is on the right side of the road going into Homer across the street from the post office and McDonalds, really cool. We sat in the parking lot for a couple of hours taking pictures and talking to local folks who are always full of good information they like to share.

I have driven our units which were 24ft. with no problems....I did not have previous experience! We made no campground reservations and traveled according to weather conditions. One time we were going to head south. But while at the Saturday farmer's market in Anchorage my husband could see Denali so we headed north. We saw the mountain for 4 days in a row!

Another thing I did was check out the farmer's markets in the various cities/towns we would be traveling through. We picked up some wonderful fruits, vegetables, breads and even some craft items. If you go during the state fair in Palmer, you can park in a big field and stay overnight at no extra charge. There are no hookups so be sure to have water in the tank, battery charged (not sure about time you can use generator while camping overnight there) and, of course, holding tanks aren't too full! If you don't use their lot at that time, you may need campground reservations if you stay near that area at that time.

If you do go fishing, there are places that will process the fish the way you want and flash freeze it. ABC says so fish in the refrigerator but since this is flash frozen and no smell we have done it with no problems. If your home bound flight is late at night, you can keep your fish in the freezer at the airport for about $15 a day. We always bring along an extra suitcase or duffle bag for this purpose and stuff it with insulation, paper and clothes. The excess baggage fee is cheaper than sending it home FedEx. After I heard an airline pilot say he had his fish box stolen twice, I decided not to put it in a box saying "Alaska Fish", advertising is not always a good thing!

This time of year the northern lights can be seen and this year has been great. Start looking after 11pm and till 4 or 5a.m. I was in Fairbanks in March and it was fantastic, breathtaking, beautiful and just plain amazing. I may try a fall trip next time, a little warmer. I arrived in Fairbanks and it was minus 36°

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote