Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Grape Escape
This can happen on home AC as well. Not a big deal unless it keeps happening. Keep fan running as this can happen with insufficient air flow. Also do not run fantastic fan with air on as it will only draw more humid air into trailer and Ac will not be able to keep up with excess humidity.

2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Pretty simple, lots of humidity and a a/c the coils froze up. Since the coils have iced air flow goes to zero and the system becomes a block of ice.

Just turn the compressor off and let the fan run. After an hour or so you will start to notice flow again. Let it run for a while after that before turning the compressor on.

Jf you want to confirm that you will probably notice that condensate water from the a/c is no longer dripping off the roof...

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe, 2013 39 days, 2014 59 days
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
Thank you for all the info.... It seems most likely I caused this by running the unit on low. Too much compressor and not enough fan for the amount of heat and humidity. I will make sure I make a few changes.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
Major cause of A/C freeze up.

1. Low on charge due to a leak on the system. Your unit can not be recharged as it is, because there are no service ports, but that can be modified.

2. Lack of air flow, dirty filter, dirty eveporator coil, dirty blower wheel, blower motor not operating properly, loose blower wheel on motor shaft (blower wheel not spinning at the same RPM's as the motor, operating the unit in A/C Mode below 50 degrees with out a head pressure controller or a heat load with in the space that you are trying to cool.

If your unit has none of the problems above then there should not be any problem operating the fan on the "ON" position, high or low speed.

As far as humidity, the higher the humidity the more condensate you will produce from your unit this should not cause a freese up unless you have one or more of the problems above.

Here in the North/East our temps have been well over 90 degrees for some time now and we are living in our RV until our house is built, the A/C is on all of the time and i keep the fan mode on "ON" and on low speed all of the time to help with hot spots in the camper, the air is always moving and have not had any problems.

When a unit is low on charge there is not enough refrigerant in the system to obsorb the heat from the return air, this is when the unit will freeze up and if the unit is over charged then there is too much refrigerant, the unit will not cool but it will not freeze up as well and this can damage the compressor.

You may want to have your unit checked just incase.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Our house A/C isn't working properly, so we slept in our Rockwood TT for the last 2 nights. It was 99 yesterday during the day, and only "cooled" down to 88 by the time we went to bed. Humidity has been so thick you could cut it with a knife!! I'll be SO glad when this "heat dome" moves on. We're in Wisconsin, and I'm not used to this many days in a row with staggering heat and humidity. Our 13,000 BTU A/C has had no issues keeping up, although we're running it only at night. I'm pretty sure our AC is much more than a 20 degree drop in temp from inside to outside.
me too this humidity is painfull here in wisconsin.. we had heat indexes between 107-118 for a week and half .. i didnt get much done and hid in the house.
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Covfam

me too this humidity is painfull here in wisconsin.. we had heat indexes between 107-118 for a week and half .. i didnt get much done and hid in the house.
Where are you in Wisconsin, and where are your favorite camping spots?
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
our farm is in jackson county about 8 miles out of black river falls. to be honest we havent camped IN wisconsin yet we have only lived here 5 years and most all our camping has been in south dakota, colorado and texas so far. most all our trips in wisconsin have been just overnighters at the holaday inn express we are actually planning to go camping up in door county this fall and enjoy the fall colors there

Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioner