Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Have you replaced your RV mattress?

The mattress on our Surveyor 235RKS is too soft for my wife and I. It is a strange size 73" x 75" so will need to be a custom order I'm sure. Where have some of you gone to get your mattress replaced? Anyone do a custom order for a custom size? What are your experiences?
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Team

On our GS-280 there was a fan-dangled headboard that was about 6" thick from the front wall. I removed it (all of 4 screws holding it on) and that allowed us to replace the "short queen" with a regular queen. My next upgrade is to order a Select Comfort or Sleep Better mattress to replace the memory foam we now have.

There are places you can order the "short" RV mattresses from. Select Comfort even sells an "RV" mattress direct and through Camping World.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
The mattress on our Surveyor 235RKS is too soft for my wife and I. It is a strange size 73" x 75" so will need to be a custom order I'm sure. Where have some of you gone to get your mattress replaced? Anyone do a custom order for a custom size? What are your experiences?
Yes, we replaced our mattress just this Spring. We had the Queen size heated mattress that came with the camper (blue & white) one. Same problem, too soft. We replaced it with a standard size queen, it is 3" longer then the RV mattress. The new one is a "King Coil" brand, it is the only one that has a full life time replacment warranty. If there is any sag that dev elops at any time or any other defect it will be replaced free of charge 100%. This mattress was not a special order.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

I guess the wife and I are weird. We like the heated mattress that came in our Rockwood. It's really firm and good for my back and neck. Might put 1/2" foam topper on it, sometime. It's a real queen at 60 x 80" so if we wanted to replacing it should be easy. This mattress is really light, though, and since we tow with an F-150 we pare away at every pound.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I guess the wife and I are weird. We like the heated mattress that came in our Rockwood. It's really firm and good for my back and neck. Might put 1/2" foam topper on it, sometime. It's a real queen at 60 x 80" so if we wanted to replacing it should be easy. This mattress is really light, though, and since we tow with an F-150 we pare away at every pound.
We did install a memory foam on top but it just didn't work. The new mattress is thicker and has more support and the coils are independant from each other with in the mattress construction. At home we have a Sleep Number Bed and after sleeping on that, we can tell the differance with the cheap RV mattress just by looking at it. The RV mattress my be ok if one does not have back problems or if one is a lite weight, but what is lite weight? I do not know.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

we added 4 inch memory foam and cut to fit, about 100.00, it has been comfortable
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #7

just the opposite - mattress too firm. We are used to a water bed, but that kinda isn't gonna happen. Replaced matress w/an air mattress. We can inflate it as firm as we desire, and it weighs less!
Harvey
Harve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #8

We too find the factory supplied mattress a little soft .... HOWEVER ..... this past summer, camping in Ontario and upper New York State with all the rain and dampness and cool nights, the heated mattress turned out to be just fabulous!!!!!

We've considered adding a foam topper, but I think it would greatly affect the heating feature. So, we plan to live with the positives and ignore the negatives for the moment.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
We too find the factory supplied mattress a little soft .... HOWEVER ..... this past summer, camping in Ontario and upper New York State with all the rain and dampness and cool nights, the heated mattress turned out to be just fabulous!!!!!

We've considered adding a foam topper, but I think it would greatly affect the heating feature. So, we plan to live with the positives and ignore the negatives for the moment.

John
We just camped for the last time this weekend for the season in PA. The nights where in the mid to upper 40's, this is something I what to point out, If you have a pass through storage area that runs under the bed area of your camper then you will need a heated mattress. There is absolutely no insulation between the storage area and the bottom of the bed frame. In the Summer time I lose a lot of cooling in the bedroom area and I just noticed this weekend how cold the plywood was that supports 2/3ths of the mattress. It is easier to cool the bedroom then to heat. There are two ceiling diffusers for A/C, but only one floor diffuser in the floor right next to the pass thought storage area and the supply duct is at the end of the run, air flow is limited.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Got the replacement mattress today

Well we DID decide to replace our mattress with one from The Original Mattress Factory. Our mattress is 73x75, non-standard. OMF did a cut-down version from their King for us for only a $50 charge (in additional to the normal cost of course). Also a bonus, they put a HINGE in the middle of the mattress at no charge making it much easier to get into the trailer. Now we've got a nice high-quality, firm mattress. I would highly recommend these guys if you are in the mark. Very can-do, no-hassle. (And no, I don't have a personal interest of any kind in the company)
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #11

We also went to the Original Mattress Factory and had them custom make a mattress.

It was delivered in 24 hours and has been great. We did this before we got our Rockwood, and left the heated mattress behind in the trailer we traded in.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #12

At home we have a Sleep Number Bed and after sleeping on that, we can tell the difference with the cheap RV mattress just by looking at it. The RV mattress my be ok if one does not have problems at their back or if one is a lite weight.
Technosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote