Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #21

M35a2.....Sorry LOL. At our average profit margin, and allowing for taxes and such, we need to bring about 4.5 million in construction out of the ground just to break even on our employer portion of the plan. I could go on and on about it also. Its a sad situation.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #22

Try chm

Guess I neeed to ask how close are u to Medicare
Age.
We use the Christian Health Ministry
You can join if u are a Christian
Yea ok I am not a holy roller but these folks have been in business for years
Suggest u heck out the web site
Let us know
BTW cobra is a rip off unless u have bucks to burn and then u need to transfer to new policy anyway
Good luck

UOTE=alexisc;1508680]I'm leaving my job (and all it's wonderful benefits) and going on a 4 month trip in my motorhome. I may end up going with Cobra and continuing my current coverage, but want to look at all the options.

What are full timers with limited to no income using for health insurance? I care most about being able to get emergency care whereve

r I am, so need a plan with good emergency services coverage and out of network coverage.[/QUOTE]
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #23

As it happens, my wife and I were both hospitalized for a couple of days on our Spring trip to Florida. Basic Medicare took care of it and our portion was the usual 20% or so. We didn't have to spend a dime while on the road, and the bills came in a month after we got home.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #24

Also, be aware that Cobra is not an indefinite option. I believe that 18 months is the maximum about of time you will be eligible for it and then you have to do something else. If you are not at Medicare age, that could get pricey
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #25

Slightly off topic but just a reminder to Canadian friends to ensure you have valid travel insurance when travelling out of province.

2013 I broke my wrist while in Myrtle Beach. It was an extremely severe break requiring surgery, a titanium plate with 10 screws. While I did not spend an overnight in hospital, the bills totalled $45,000 US. Our travel insurance company negotiated the cost down to $35,000, which they covered.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #26

Medical Insurance - Full timer or not

Folks, this is a web forum for free discussion of issues applicable to all RVers, TTers, etc., and to many Americans. This topic applies to you and yours.
I and my wife are on Medicare and SS and on the verge of retirement. We have paid taxes and medical premiums for many decades. We do not expect to recoup - in Social Security - even half of what we paid in. As to health care coverage, we rely on Medicare. We previously paid very high medical insurance premiums before Medicare, and paid oppressive deductibles and copays.
On Medicare, we now have no problem with need for pre-approvals, referrals, and the like. Our premiums are about $165 per month for Medicare A, $265 for B (Supplemental), and $50 for D (Rx). This is tolerable and seems to be something the entire country can handle if it were applied to every American citizen. While I have never been in favor of socialized medicine and have a negative gut reaction to the concept of single-payer or "government run" medical care, I believe a national program of medical care applicable to every citizen that is similar to Medicare is the only reasonable solution for this very complex issue.
zj178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Slightly off topic but just a reminder to Canadian friends to ensure you have valid travel insurance when travelling out of province.

2013 I broke my wrist while in Myrtle Beach. It was an extremely severe break requiring surgery, a titanium plate with 10 screws. While I did not spend an overnight in hospital, the bills totalled $45,000 US. Our travel insurance company negotiated the cost down to $35,000, which they covered.
Yes I only paid $7C a day last yearfor that additional coverage whilst in the US for the winter. Thank heavens for our health care system. Im constantly listening to stories from my RV friends in Florida about the insurance costs of even the 20% that is not covered by Medicare. In Canada no premiums and I pay $100C a year for my drug plan.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #28

You cannot compare Canada, Taiwan, etc. health care costs to US. They have a far less people and a whole bunch less expense nationally than the US. We have a big defense budget and an extremely large bill coming due for Social Security and Medicare due to our government giving away free stuff, spending money on stupid stuff, etc. If all the other countries had to spend for their own defense the way we do to keep them free, maybe it would be possible for us Americans to have "free" healthcare. The fellow that spent $35k on a broken wrist is an example of what is wrong with our system - that $35k is terribly excessive but it goes to cover some of the free or reduced cost of care that the doctors and hospital had to cover. If the US ever goes to a national health insurance program, look for doctors to start choosing another way of life. I know I would not spend the time, money and education required to become a doctor if I were going to get a government regulated salary.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance