Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #1

Help in planning trip from Washington state to Death Valley

We are planning a trip to Death Valley headed down I-5 from Western Washington to California. From research it seems that for us the first part of April is going to be best time, starting to get warm but that is as early that we can do it next year. My question is, has anyone traveled down I-5 over grants pass and the siskious at that time. Any concerns with possible snow storms during that time? Our TV is a 2008 duramax 3500 single axle pulling a 2017 crusader 340RST. Not concerned so much about truck, but sure don't want to run into snow storms. Thanks for any information.
eldonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Having driven many times between California and Washington, I5 between Canyonville and Yreka can be bad.
But April is almost always fine.
I would think that it would be unusual to see any snow then.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

I've driven that road many, many, times, winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. Weather can change on a whim up until around May/June. I've seen snow on Siskiyou Summit and down to Shasta in late Spring and bare/dry roadway in January.

I'll be heading down that way on Jan 1. Towing my 25' Micro Lite with a 4WD Titan. Just carrying chains for the truck and a set of cable chains for the rear axle of the trailer. The highway, especially the long grade out of Ashland to Siskiyou Summit, gets plenty of attention from the highway department, getting plowed and sanded well. Only time it's really bad is if a nasty storm comes in and creates blizzard conditions but then the road gets shut down anyway. Slow and steady will avoid issues.

I use an app on my phone named "Weather Route FREE". Enter your starting point and destination. Also enter your average driving speed (be sure to adjust for weather conditions) and it will show you what temps and other weather conditions to expect along the segment you set. You can also use the "Slider" at the bottom of the screen to adjust starting time so you might be able to avoid nasty conditions ahead. App also suggests what time is best for starting and also shows Weather Service Alerts along the way (wind, flooding, snow, etc).

Unlike places in the Rocky Mountains or Plains where a road can be closed for days, I-5 is fairly moderate. A snow storm overnight on the high passes can be cleared by mid day following. There are exceptions but for the most part the road is kept open for all the freight traffic.

I follow the theory that if I'm ready for anything on the road the chances of an easy trip are greater. Carry chains and don't be impatient. Be prepared to hunker down for a night or two if mother nature get's ornery.

BTW, if the weather in Southern Oregon/Northern CA gets really bad, you can cut off to the coast at Grants Pass and follow the coast highway until you hit warmer weather. Weather can be crappy there too but not as much snow and ice as in the mountains.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies. I have also have driven that stretch of road numerous times, just not during those months. We did drive truck by its self once a couple of years ago in December and had dry roads all the way. Go figure. I have already looked for chains but most places won't sell them for my truck and tires per owners manual info. Saw some reviews of people using cable chains on there trucks but don't know if they will hold out pulling about 10,000 lbs. thanks for info about the weather app, I will look at that. Again thanks for both of your inputs
Old 12-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonj View Post
Thanks for your replies. I have also have driven that stretch of road numerous times, just not during those months. We did drive truck by its self once a couple of years ago in December and had dry roads all the way. Go figure. I have already looked for chains but most places won't sell them for my truck and tires per owners manual info. Saw some reviews of people using cable chains on there trucks but don't know if they will hold out pulling about 10,000 lbs. thanks for info about the weather app, I will look at that. Again thanks for both of your inputs
Cable chains are OK. Most people think they stink because they feel they can drive at regular speeds with cables that they'd never think of with regular "chain chains".

Cables will enhance pulling traction on snow if it's lightly packed. On smooth ice nothing works, especially when stopping except sand. If the road is sanded proceed. If not, pull off and wait for a sand truck then follow it.

DO NOT forget to use a "drag chain" on the rear of your trailer. Even if you just have ONE chain on a single wheel on the rear axle it's enough to help keep your trailer behind you when going down hill or stopping.

Again, if driving on chains, plan on going less than 30 mph (just like the instructions say). Might be frustratingly slow but much safer and far less chance of accident or accident. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of company in the right lane with trucks and others who can read the instructions

BTW, my combined weight is right at 12,000# and I have no qualms about using chains, cable or otherwise on either my truck or trailer. Properly installed and with adequate clearance, they just "clank along" until you are out of the slick stuff.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Death Valley should be very nice in April, might have wildflowers depending on the winter rains.

In/around Death Valley there are TWO CHP so not much support should you need help, A good friend is one of them and says response time can be VERY long depending on what's going on. I think the DW and I are going to go this winter too, have not been there in 50 years and it's only about 3 hours. might wait until next year when Scott's Castle is open again though.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Cable chains are OK. Most people think they stink because they feel they can drive at regular speeds with cables that they'd never think of with regular "chain chains".

Cables will enhance pulling traction on snow if it's lightly packed. On smooth ice nothing works, especially when stopping except sand. If the road is sanded proceed. If not, pull off and wait for a sand truck then follow it.

DO NOT forget to use a "drag chain" on the rear of your trailer. Even if you just have ONE chain on a single wheel on the rear axle it's enough to help keep your trailer behind you when going down hill or stopping.

Again, if driving on chains, plan on going less than 30 mph (just like the instructions say). Might be frustratingly slow but much safer and far less chance of accident or accident. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of company in the right lane with trucks and others who can read the instructions

BTW, my combined weight is right at 12,000# and I have no qualms about using chains, cable or otherwise on either my truck or trailer. Properly installed and with adequate clearance, they just "clank along" until you are out of the slick stuff.
I went through the pass just east of Pendleton OR. (immigrant pass?). Signs at start of pass were displaying "chain up or good winter tread". I don't understand why that sign was up because roads were mostly bare but I am sure 25% of trucks were chained up. What a mess! trucks going 50-60 mph and throwing chains left and right and nowhere to pull over to chain down. I counted 15 chains on road before stopping counting. Actually became a hazard dodging them. But yes, the smart ones went slow.

Being a retired log hauler we had a saying, "the best time to chain up is before you need them".
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
I went through the pass just east of Pendleton OR. (immigrant pass?). Signs at start of pass were displaying "chain up or good winter tread". I don't understand why that sign was up because roads were mostly bare but I am sure 25% of trucks were chained up. What a mess! trucks going 50-60 mph and throwing chains left and right and nowhere to pull over to chain down. I counted 15 chains on road before stopping counting. Actually became a hazard dodging them. But yes, the smart ones went slow.

Being a retired log hauler we had a saying, "the best time to chain up is before you need them".
The "pass" you referred to is called "Cabbage Hill" by local truckers. (used to be cabbage fields at the bottom.) I've gone up and down that hill more times than I can count and there are plenty of places to pull off and chain/de-chain. As for trucks throwing off chains due to speed, as they say "there's no cure for stupid".

Cabbage Hill has the longest grade but heading East you then encounter three more grades that have their own unique problems. Usually the amount of ice formed on the road and blown glass smooth by the wind. Nasty driving area when winter hits. One winter my wife and I ended up staying the night in Baker City. Road was closed with 2"+ of ice so clear it looked like it could be sawed up and made into ice cubes. Even slipped, almost falling on sidewalk from car to hotel.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

AND - keep other routes possible. We have headed down towards south east CA - and drove along the Columbia Gorge to Hwy 97 - and go south. You can avoid lots of passes in the mountains that I-5 passes through.

Another benefit - once you get to Nevada, the cost of gas is MUCH better than the cost of gas in CA.

Check out some travel options using Google Maps and see what the options might be.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the respons, I like the idea of heading east along the gorge and then south towards Nevada. Was going to check out getting reservation in furness creek rv park which looks like it is on the east side of Death Valley. Then we could leave west side and drive up to Sacramento where our son lives
Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the respons, I like the idea of heading east along the gorge and then south towards Nevada. Was going to check out getting reservation in furness creek rv park which looks like it is on the east side of Death Valley. Then we could leave west side and drive up to Sacramento where our son lives
A lot of truck drivers will use that route to avoid the mountain driving. OK in warmer months but in Winter it can be colder than a well diggers a--.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #12

Quote:
We are planning a trip to Death Valley headed down I-5 from Western Washington to California. From research it seems that for us the first part of April is going to be best time, starting to get warm but that is as early that we can do it next year. My question is, has anyone traveled down I-5 over grants pass and the siskious at that time. Any concerns with possible snow storms during that time? Our TV is a 2008 duramax 3500 single axle pulling a 2017 crusader 340RST. Not concerned so much about truck, but sure don't want to run into snow storms. Thanks for any information.
The weatherman cannot always predict the weather even 24 hours in advance.

If you find someone who can do so 4 months ahead of time bow down and worship, He is Christ returned.

That said you can use Wunderground.com to look at past trends on a month by month basis.

Just pick a city in the mountains and do research on that city to see the usual weather for the time of year you will be traveling.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #13

you may want to take a good look at the death valley web site, heavy rains from a few years ago has washed out many roads in death valley Scotty's castle wont be open till 2020 as many other roads, a friend of mine was going in the spring found this out
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Help in planning trip from Washington state to Death Valley

I did the drive from Seattle to AZ following I-5 and later 99 once past Lodi, CA. I crossed the Siskiyou Summit on December 14, 2018 and found the highway clear and dry. There was patches of snow higher up on the surround slopes. I also check weather 10 days ahead of my travel time to be sure I don't run into bad weather. Last April I returned from AZ to MT via US 93 and Lost Trail Pass at the border of ID and MT. I crossed the pass on April 12th. There were several inches of snow on the pass and still snowing when I crossed. Don't want to do that again. Friends of mine also experienced a snowfall on the pass a week later.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Furnace Creek is the park HQ and there are quite a few services there - - along with really high gasoline prices ($5.00+/gal). Gas was almost $5.00/gal when were there last April. Should be lower now that oil has fallen to about $45/bbl from $70/bbl.

I would check the route to Sacramento out of Death Valley. You still have to cross the Sierra Nevada or go around them on the south to get to Sacramento and it is a LONG drive.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #16

Not much more to add to the previous responses, which should be considered expert opinions, except for this: Consider staying at Boulder Creek RV Park, just south of Lone Pine, CA, before entering Death Valley. One of the best RV Parks we have ever known.

We will be staying there in May of this year, and expect a fantastic bloom of wild flowers in Death Valley.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington