Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

Help installing cable coaxial

I know others have chatted about this topic with other campers, but recently purchased a 2015 Wildwood XLite 174bh. I want to be able to actually watch tv, at night, using the cable provided by the campgrounds I visit. Unfortunately, my XLite does not, no matter how many people say it does, have an external cable ready box attached to my camper. Also, there is just a cable/satellite plate on the wall inside. I can hook the tv up to the "cable" plug to use my antenna to receive a few channels (The satellite plug is not ready to use nor while I be purchasing a satellite anytime). Questions, how can I run my cable inside to this switch plate on the wall, without drilling a on of wholes, and still be able to connect to the campground box? Any help would be appreciated.
gdbloch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

There is no coax outside at all?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Run cable thru window.....there are 'lay flat' wire (coax) for that purpose...allow you to close window so no bugs.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

gdbloch4 why are you so opposed to drilling a hole in the side? There are receptacles specifically made for it that are weather proof.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

There s no outside coax connection. I ran my coax cable under camper then up through the bottom of the door. Only problem was the cable started to tear after only 2 days.

Looked at the flat cable. That's always a possibility. Was hoping for something more permanent.

Thank you for the idea.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

Not totally opposed to drilling a hole on the outside. However, I'm not the best DIY'er . Just looking for the easiest way. Thought of going up through the bottom, resealing the hole after running the coax through, and then coming up through the inside storage spot .
Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Pretty easy DIY if you use one of these. Winegard WA 1110 Dual Outdoor TV Receptacle Ivory Trailer RV | eBay
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
None of us started out that way....we learned by asking, watching. If you decide to drill a hole, just look where it'll come thru and try to keep the hole in a dryer location on the outside, where road splash doesn't aim right at it......like OC said, the covers (wall plates) are light and don't require a large fastener to attach and the caulking is nothing.....and think of 'I DID IT'.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

The wall jacks that OC displayed only have two small 1/2" - 3/4"holes behind them (and two smaller holes for the screws). One for each cable. Typically, one is for satellite (whether you ever use it or not) and the other is for the cable connection. There should be a matching internal plate like this.

Name:   winegard.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  10.6 KB

When you go to sell it, someone might question poor work or installation if you don't have two connections at both ends.

If you only want to wire the one cable, I would suggest something like this instead.

Name:   prime products rv cable.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  7.2 KB
PRIME PRODUCTS 08-6208 - Prime Products Cable TV Receptacle, Round, White 08-6208 - RV Plus
You will still need a plate on the inside of the RV.

Either way, you should make sure the F connectors are waterproof and tight. The plate on my trailer had two seals. One was some material similar to plumbers putty and it was further inside on the plate. Then the exterior perimeter was caulked. As for the cable, you can get an inexpensive waterproof cable connection tool at HD, Lowes (and last I checked at Harbor Freight). Edit: Found the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/coaxial...ool-95862.html

Use RG6 Cable inside the walls/trailer. You can buy it at HD, Lowes or just about any other hardware store, but HD and Lowes will sell it to you by the foot.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

You can get a "flat coax jumper" from Walmart.com or Amazon.com for about $3.00 that you can close a window or door on to get the signal in the TT. Other than that you will have to figure out how to wire a outside and an inside outlet. Looking at photos it looks like you have an access door to the back of the Frig. Maybe you can find a way to run a coax next to that door or maybe even through it and fish the coax up around the cabinets.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

So ours didnt have cable either (195bh) so we ended up drilling through the floor and resealing it. We then mounted an external hookup attached to the frame under the electrical plug on the passenger side. Check out some of my other posts and i have pics of it
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

Thanks for giving me another idea.