Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

HELP!!!! Need a route from SC to NY

We could really use some help. This will be our first trip ever with our new 34' Windjammer. We are leaving from Columbia SC to go to Oswego, NY. We would usually take I-77 to I-81 but my husband is concerned about driving thru the mountains. Going up and down plus the high winds. We thought about taking I-95. But then we had relatives say that the belt way around DC is terrible. Also, were told not to miss our exit to go towards I-81 because we would end up in NYC. We have NEVER towed anything before and we have lots of concerns. We want to have fun and not worry about everything. Any ideas on the easiest and safest way to go to NYS?
Jammer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, I would go the I-77 and I-81 route. That is the preference that Google Maps is showing.

I have towed my camper on I-81 through southern Virginia with no major problems. Sometimes i would just get behind a loaded semi, and stay in the slow lanes with that. I would sometimes loose them going downhill, and have to pick another slow one for the next uphill trek.

I avoid I-95 as much as possible, especially around the D.C. area.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
I just tow the TT for DW!

After towing our previous travel trailer on the Beltway once, I can tell you I would avoid that route at all costs. Swore I'd never do it again. I was relatively new to towing and was only towing a 22' trailer, but talk about "white knuckling" it. After that trip, my DW said we'd never camp north again lol. On the other hand, I've always enjoyed towing on I81. Mountains are not too steep, the scenery is nice, and if you take it easy and watch out for the 18-wheelers, you'll be fine, though I've never towed farther north than Pennsylvania. Good luck!

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer11 View Post
We could really use some help. This will be our first trip ever with our new 34' Windjammer. We are leaving from Columbia SC to go to Oswego, NY. We would usually take I-77 to I-81 but my husband is concerned about driving thru the mountains. Going up and down plus the high winds. We thought about taking I-95. But then we had relatives say that the belt way around DC is terrible. Also, were told not to miss our exit to go towards I-81 because we would end up in NYC. We have NEVER towed anything before and we have lots of concerns. We want to have fun and not worry about everything. Any ideas on the easiest and safest way to go to NYS?
Hope this works, this link is the route I use to get up/down the east coast and avoid the mountanitains (big ones at least) and DC. I think you can click on it, if not PM me and I will send you a personal email with the info.

Columbia, SC to Oswego, NY - Google Maps

I adds about 40 min to the more direct 77 or 81 route. Being from Ohio I jump on/off at Hagerstown MD, on the north end.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
The Old Man

Personally, I would avoid I-95 if possible. Going thru Richmond, DC, Baltimore, and Philly is not fun!

The only downside to the I-77/I-81 route is the grade between Mt. Airy, NC, and Hillsville, VA. The really steep part is about 7 miles long. But there are slow vehicle lanes the whole way and pull-outs to rest your brakes (on the return trip). If you just take your time it shouldn't be too bad assuming your tow vehicle is adequate.

The rest of that route has its share of rolling up-and-down hills but so does I-95. I would take that one-time 7 mile grade over the city traffic any day.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Unless your tow vehicle is really under matched, the I-77/I-81 is not worth worrying about. It's not as steep as you're making yourself worried about and it comes in sections anyway.

Enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

Thank you all so very much!! We will look at all the possibilities everyone has been so wonderful to share.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Of course you could take the scenic route through Va. by taking Route 11. It parallels I-81 the entire length but it'll take forever! So I'd do what everyone else suggests and take 77 to 81. I'll be taking that same route in July to camp throughout New England!

Richie and Rose
2011 Ford Expedition Limited
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS
nights camped in 2010 - 20
nights camped in 2011 - 28
Gadget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Go the I-77/I-81, You should have no problem pulling the Windjammer ! Or I-77/ I-90..but I'd go the I-77/I-81 route ! We pulled our TT up/down I-77 Fancy Gap area, just take your time!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Hi Jammer11,

We live in Fort Mill and have gone the i-77/81 route a few times. As Willis stated, the grade up to Fancy Gap is no joke. But there is a third lane to allow for slow moving trucks and campers, so take advantage of that and you will be fine. Did the 95 Beltway thing once and only because we were spending a couple of days near DC. I'd rather do the climb at Fancy Gap anytime.

Just be sure to keep an eye on your tow vehicle's coolant temp while making the climb.

Enjoy your Windjammer. We got one a few weeks ago and love it. Wish we had made some Memorial Day weekend reservations

Happy Camping!
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Even though there are quite some pulls on this section of road, I got decent gas mileage doing the I-81 section. Last spring I filled up in Pigeon Forge TN., and even with about 10 miles of city stop and go traffic to get to I-40 and I-81, along with the hills on the interstate, I got 11.1 mpg when filling up in Wytheville, Va. And again, I got 11.1 mpg when I filled up at the next stop at home in Ruckersville, Va......and that includes a climb over the Blue Ridge.

My theory on this is that even though there are some hard climbs, I let the speed drop some to keep up with the truckers. Then on the downhill parts, I am getting great gas mileage because I am coasting, and that makes up some for the terrible fuel mileage I get on the uphill sections.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #12

Is this your maiden trip? I had grande plans for my 2nd trip to go from PA to VA, but after our maiden trip (30 miles from house). I cancelled that trip. Was a very white knuckle ride on our first trip. I learned I needed to work on tweaking my hitch setup and maybe look at suspension upgrades for my truck. Also needed more practice towing something this big/heavy. Good news my second trip (within 40 miles) went much better after going over my WDH and adjusting my setup. For a longer trip still like to do some mods to the truck. Just my $0.02..
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #13

This will be our very first trip with a camper period. I'm sure we are going to learn a great deal from this trip and from all you wonderful experienced campers. I've been watching u tube to learn more about how to do things. We are so excited. We leave this Saturday.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #14

Well good luck in your travels. Take your time and roll with the challenges. If you do travel through DC in your route this weekend keep an eye on the news/internet for road closures and alternate routes. Lots of goings on in DC this weekend.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #15

Thank you all. I will let everyone know how it went.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #16

I would not take the DC beltway. I have pulled my 34' from Ont. to BC and back. About 3000 miles each way. Went over the rockies no problem. As stated stay in the slow lane and keep your RPM as low as you can. Have driven the DC beltway without a TT behind me and did not like it. The I77/I81 is a much better route to take.
Have a safe and fun trip North.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #17

My wife and I have lived up and down the I-95 corridor (to include Hopkins, SC and Rochester, NY and 10 years in the DC area). In addition to the DC Beltway, you will also have to figure out how to navigate around the Baltimore tunnels that may not let you go in with the propane tanks.

Give yourself some extra time to enjoy the trip. There are many beautiful places along the way!

Have fun.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #18

Thank you. I didn't realize that. I have never been through the tunnels. We are getting ready to leave later today. Thank you so much!