Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Help Needed! Moving to Charlotte, NC

The DW and I are pulling the trigger on relocating to Charlotte, NC. We're looking for some help with identifying good areas to house search in the area.

My company has a facility in NE Charlotte, just inside the 485 beltway. DW works remotely from home. We've been trying to focus on the NE areas around town; Harrisburg, Concord, Rocky River, Kannapolis or even closer into Charlotte proper.

We're selling our house here in Indiana and are going to look for a rental house for the short term. My company is in a bit of flux right now, so longer term decisions need to be put off for awhile.

Can any of you folks make any recommendations for areas to avoid, good areas, etc? I've never posted any topic here that someone wasn't knowledgeable, so we're hoping you all can help us out. Thanks for any and all input!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Can't help you with your question directly but you are wise to rent for awhile - this let's you learn about the town.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Toad,

I have a good friend who is a real estate broker in the area. They do rentals and purchases. He has been in the area for a number of years and is also originally from Indiana. If interested please let me know and I will PM you his details.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

Check out the area around Mallard Creek Rd. Decent houses, some with lots of room. Not sure about your budget, or space needs, but I used to live in that corner of the world.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
OC lives in Concord...should know the area.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Would suggest you stay out of Mecklenburg County which is Charlotte. About anywhere in Cabarrus county for the better schools. I would also suggest staying out of any of the city limits also because of city real estate taxes.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Smile Great RV dealer in Concord, NC

I don't know about the housing market in that area but there is a great RV dealer close by. Tom Johnson Camping RV is just off I85, one exit above 485. They advertise as largest dealer on east coast and I believe it. Stopped by there last week to check out Flagstaff Mini Lites. Sales person was great and there are campgrounds near by if you want to camp while checking out the area. Highly recommended.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Daymatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would suggest you stay out of Mecklenburg County which is Charlotte. About anywhere in Cabarrus county for the better schools. I would also suggest staying out of any of the city limits also because of city real estate taxes.
Try Mint Hill and Midland areas. Stay away from roads and areas near race track, Concord Mills areas. Stay out of Mechlenburg county if possible.
Daymatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #9

My brother in law, who is retired, settled in MINT HILL. I think pricey, but very nice!! He is a big time golfer.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Lived on the south side for years. Stay out of Meck county. Anything in Union county.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

Welcome the the area. We moved here almost 3 years ago. I work in Charlotte and live in SC just over the border. Give me a buzz when you get here and we can do dinner whatever if you want to...

Tom Johnson is now part of camping world.. I will not purchase a unit from them or have service at a CW, your experience may vary.

I have used Harrison RV, north of charlotte, for service. They took my unit and had it done when promised at the quoted price. They even replaced a water pump,I supplied, and put in a new check valve at no cost.

As far as the area, can you say traffic, you drive anywhere you go...

If you have kids, you want to look at Union county. Fort Mill Sc also has good schools, they will be long drive from your work place, hour plus.

The SE corner of the city is " the desired part", other parts have pluses and minuses. We do not have a down town, we have an Uptown. I know that the area around the university seems nice, it is likely near your workplace.

The area is growing by leaps and bounds. Medical care is higher than other areas. Harris Teeter seems to have a grocery store on ever corner, you will go broke shopping there

Drivers can get crazy, esp if it rains.

If you move to SC, expect to pay an extra RV property tax. With our new unit they over valued it by 40% to a fake retail price.

The taxes in charlotte will be higher than other areas, someone has to pay for the train and stadium.

Want to know more, let me know.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

We personally like Cabarrus County for the best school system and fantastic medical facilities. Midland is also a good place and is just south of us about 6 miles.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
The DW and I are pulling the trigger on relocating to Charlotte, NC. We're looking for some help with identifying good areas to house search in the area...
How big a house are you hunting to rent? No. of bedrooms, baths, parking, furnished or unfurnished, amount of rent? How soon do you need it? Length of lease/rental agreement?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #14

Manna polis and Concord not bad but I-85 traffic bad getting into Charlotte. Plus race weekends traffic heavy. May want to look at Mooresville area. My daughter lives there. Not bad if you stay on the east side of I-77. Other side is Lake Norman.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneeagle View Post
Manna polis and Concord not bad but I-85 traffic bad getting into Charlotte. Plus race weekends traffic heavy. May want to look at Mooresville area. My daughter lives there. Not bad if you stay on the east side of I-77. Other side is Lake Norman.
Manna polis? Where is that? Mooresville traffic into Charlotte is a nightmare everyday. Race day traffic if only 4 or 5 times a year and most folks just avoid the racetrack area. There are numerous ways to get around it anyway. I traveled from Concord to the Charlotte airport every Mon morning for 5 years and never had a problem, but it was a 35-45 minute drive just due to the distance.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #16

We live in Concord, which is in Cabarrus County and I can recommend it. We moved here about 5 years ago to be closer to our daughter and her family. They moved here 20 years ago because of the school district, if that 's important to you. My son in law works for the Postal Service and he is always talking about Cabarrus being the best county around. I have also heard to stay out of Mecklenburg, Union and Stanley Counties. I'd also shy away from Kanapollis. Be careful where you look because of property taxes. Concord has places where you only pay county taxes as we do then there are areas where you pay both city and county taxes. Harrisburg is a nice city too. There are areas where it's like living in the country, no deed restrictions as we do then there are areas in developments where there are rules and regulations. All depends on what's important to you. I agree that Tom Jonson's is a great place to stop and camp while you're looking, big open field but conveniently located. BTW, heard that they were just bought by Camping World. Stay away from the raceway as it draws big crowds during race weeks, which is good for the economy but very crowded, personally, we don't go near it during race weeks which there are many. Good luck!
Mannashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probwrm19 View Post
I don't know about the housing market in that area but there is a great RV dealer close by. Tom Johnson Camping RV is just off I85, one exit above 485. They advertise as largest dealer on east coast and I believe it. Stopped by there last week to check out Flagstaff Mini Lites. Sales person was great and there are campgrounds near by if you want to camp while checking out the area. Highly recommended.
Camping world bought TJs. It will change and never be the same.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #18

Be prepared fro long commutes to work!
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
Camping world bought TJs. It will change and never be the same.
TJ's service dept in Concord was deplorable before, can't get much worse.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #20

Stay out of Charlotte and Mecklenberg County....controlled by democrats, who are trying desperately to emulate the Rust Belt by taxing everything.
Moved to the Piedmont 10yo from WNY...LOVE IT HERE! (We live in rural Stanly Co.)
Check out Harrisburg in Cabarrus Co., NICE area, close to NE Charlotte, right off the 485/85 Interstates.
South Charlotte is very nice around South Park, but pricey.
You will like it here, hot in summer, mild winters. Lots to do and see. 3 1/2 hours to mountains or sea. Welcome to NC!
PJSNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote