Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #21

This is what was recommended to me. Said to use every couple of months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435660345251.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	81693  
Old 06-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #22

Definetley go with slides, I think the slides that you are relating to are the Lippert Schwintech slides. I may not have spelled that correctly. They have two tracks and motors on each side of the slide. I would expect this design is a lot less cost to the manufacture as there is not a lot of parts, steel underneath or hydraulics.

There is quite a bit of info on these and a few youtube videos. I suggest you look at them, it may calm your fears and load you with questions to ask when look at RVs.

I read that one of the main issues on the Schwintech is you must continue to hold the switch down for 20 seconds or so after the slide is out in order for the motors to sync. People that had the old style slides and are used to releasing the switch just when the slide is out and carry that habit with them causing issues. I also read a few threads with motors burning up and dealer replaces with the same motor and it burns up again. I suspect this is not a schwintech issue but the manufacture not specing out the correct size motor for the weight of the slide. Just research it and go loaded with information and questions.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

We have had only one slide issue on our prior 5W. We have aa friend however, that'd had nothing but problems. No slides no slide issues for the most part but we have realized there is always something happening - good or bad.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #24

Slides add resale. Hard to sell without.

Problems fall into two General areas.

Operator. Know how to run them. Make sure you know how far they extend. Make a marked stick for parking checks. Never extend into a solid object.

Maintenance. Keep slides clean and lubed. Know how your slides are actuated. Get the manual. Read and understand it. Know where the fuses and or circuit breakers are. Know how to manually operate them in emergency.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out