Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
MI Camperz

It was just an example.
I'm not suprised mobile homes are a lot in FL because of the snow birds and rebounding real estate values in Florida.
I imagine LA will also be expensive, as S. CA is notorious for high real estate.
Anyway, I think you got a lot of advice and well wishes today.
Best of luck.

Stay safe and healthy out there.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #42

I just happen to be on IRV2 and saw this. I thought it might help as its a one person system.Power Brake Bleeder - iRV2 Forums

Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #43

If you could find a nice CG in a warm climate and stay full time is an option to look at. You would not be driving the MH and wear and tear on the vehicle would be zero. This is just a suggestion and might be an option you could live with. There are some CG that will allow you to purchase your site. What ever you decide good luck and safe travels.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #44

Several years ago I also lost my job (down sizing) of 37 years. My DW and I decided to sell our home and start RVing full time. We have a site in Eastern Ont. and travvel to the west coast of Canada for the winter. We are considering purchasing a second TT. We will leave one in Ont. and have the second in BC. We will save about $2000 a year in fuel costs and have no wear and tear on the TT. It is a hard decision to leave your home. Like you we could not afford to keep the house. We were lucky that we did make a good profit on the sale of the home. I had put enough money into a pension plan we are able to live comfortably. Keep your head high and things will work out for the best.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #45

Thanks, Terry. That is exactly what we are going to do as soon the RV is up and running. We are driving to LA and then will park in a mobile home park and stay there until we find a home to buy.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #46

By the way, the delamination on the RV is not bad at all, just slight and I don't think that will be a problem for quite a while. The RV is now at a truck repair place so that they can look at the brakes. If the cost is not too much, we will have them do it, otherwise my husband will.

So, it turns out that things might not be as bad as first thought and looks like we probably did get a pretty good deal after all. I was looking at the things I purchased and the majority of them would have been purchased anyway to customize things just like everyone else does.

After we get settled in LA and find a place, we might look to upgrade, but for now, I think this will serve it's purpose just fine. Unfortunately, we couldn't go on the FROG trip in Florida this weekend because of the service needed and hope to go on another FROG trip in the near future.

I know some people have indicated that we should have purchased a newer unit and that perhaps RVing was not for us, but I don't think comfortable camping is reserved for the rich and well off only. A disabled Vet and his hard working wife are also entitled to attempt to enjoy life.

Thank you to those who gave caring and helpful advice.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #47

I would like to thank your husband for his service to his country and you as well for the support you provided him during his service. My wife is also a disabled vet who served for almost 27 years. I myself will be retiring in about 9 months (1 Feb). We recently bought our first RV and can't wait for my retirement so we can camp when and where we want. Thanks again for your husbands service to our great country and enjoy your camping adventures!!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #48

That is nice of you to say, thanks so much.

I posted a thread asking about campgrounds along our route, but it doesn't seem like it posted. Can anyone see this: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nia-38378.html

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #49
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
That is nice of you to say, thanks so much.

I posted a thread asking about campgrounds along our route, but it doesn't seem like it posted. Can anyone see this: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nia-38378.html
Yes, it is there.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #50
Always Learning

I don't have any experience with the campgrounds in the route you're talking about. Have you thought about meandering your way back to LA? Or is it going to be a straight shot?

Under different circumstance, I think a cross-country trip would be a lot of fun.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't have any experience with the campgrounds in the route you're talking about. Have you thought about meandering your way back to LA? Or is it going to be a straight shot?

Under different circumstance, I think a cross-country trip would be a lot of fun.
I think we'd like to meander a bit and take some time to rest and relax for a change. We haven't had a vacation in years and really need one.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #52

I'm getting more and more upset by the minute. We haven't yet located brake pads and calipers.

Dates on the tires:
Two front tires are 3011
Right rear tire 3709
Left rear tire 2086
Cannot see the inside two tires, but am guessing they might say 5221

We are lucky no one has been killed yet. I called the dealer again and the Manager is out of town until Monday. Salesman told me I bought an older RV and should expect that it is not new and that things need to be replaced. I said sure, but not immediately and when someone buys a used car from a reputable dealer, they should expect to be able to drive the car right away, not have bad brakes and bad tires.

It's all so upsetting. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal that he sold us a unit with bad brakes and 17 year old tires.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #53

You bought the unit as-is unless you have something in writing stating otherwise. Fix what needs to be fixed and be on your way.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #54

No, we bought the unit after being told that it was in great shape and ready to go with brand new tires. Please do not comment on things of which you know nothing. Suggestions are helpful, not useless repremands.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
No, we bought the unit after being told that it was in great shape and ready to go with brand new tires. Please do not comment on things of which you know nothing. Suggestions are helpful, not useless repremands.
I am assuming you got the new tires in writing ?

Whats the issue with finding the calipers and pads ?

TURBS
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What was the model of the chassis ? IE. E350, E450 ?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #57

If they told you it has new tires then shame on them. I have found buying a MH and operating it are to very complicated things to do. A new timer my self I missed a lot of things that have cost me money. I'm not stupid but like I said this is a complicated thing we play and live in. If you missed the tires it's on you. I know now to look as do you. Good luck. I can't imagine you will get far with the dealer. Is this a RV place you bought it from?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #58

Not to be argumentative, but you did buy it as-is. If the tires weren't as promised you shouldn't have completed the purchase. You always have an opportunity to take a used vehicle to a mechanic to check it out before purchasing. You have no recourse but to fix it or sell it unless you have something in writing. I'm not trying to be harsh, just stating facts.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #59

I found it on line at Campers Inn and made the deal and then my husband flew up and he was told it was fine. Apparently he did not look at the tires close enough as on quick glance, they look good. He did mention the brakes and they told him it was because it was an RV. It is true he should have examined the tires, but he didn't and that is his fault, but it is also poor business to lie to a customer and tell them tires are new and everything is in perfect working condition and was well cared for which it was not.

I know it is okay to lie and take advantage of people as much as possible, I just don't do it myself. More and more people are doing it these days, but I just can't get into that.

From what I gather here from some of you, it was okay for the dealer to lie and my husband and I are totally responsible because I mostly hear how we were stupid, as opposed to the dealer being dishonest. That's how people think, I guess.

Phil, thanks. The auto parts store said their computer doesn't go back that far. It's an E-450 and they only have pads/calipers for E-350. There were two different versions of calipers made during 1998 for this model. The date on the door says December 1997, so thing just keep getting worse.

What tires are the best? Safety is the most important thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #60

If you have a NAPA store close to you check there. They carry lots of parts for heavier trucks. Checking my local store they have all of the brake parts in stock.
Closed Thread