Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Help with blowout damage

So I have been a lurker on this forum for three years. I have seen hundreds of posts about castle rock tires. Thought I was being careful enough with them, but today I had a blowout. I know I will replace them with Goodyear endurance 225/75r15 tires. Going to replace all 5.

I would like any advice about repairing the skirt or the underbelly. It ripped the underbelly fabric and insulation away when the blowout happened. I definitely will get it water tight, but is there anything else to know? Where is the best place to source a replacement piece for the skirt?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3718.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	209920
Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Raider View Post
So I have been a lurker on this forum for three years. I have seen hundreds of posts about castle rock tires. Thought I was being careful enough with them, but today I had a blowout. I know I will replace them with Goodyear endurance 225/75r15 tires. Going to replace all 5.

I would like any advice about repairing the skirt or the underbelly. It ripped the underbelly fabric and insulation away when the blowout happened. I definitely will get it water tight, but is there anything else to know? Where is the best place to source a replacement piece for the skirt?Attachment 209920

I know our dealer here in town has a wall of skirts that go on sale now and again. We had to buy one for our old cougar. (Wait that sounds bad) our old trailer. Most rv shops or dealers should be able to order you one either the same or very close. You could put two different colors and i bet only one person would notice lol. Yoy only see one at a time. Sorry for your luck.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
I know our dealer here in town has a wall of skirts that go on sale now and again. We had to buy one for our old cougar. (Wait that sounds bad) our old trailer. Most rv shops or dealers should be able to order you one either the same or very close. You could put two different colors and i bet only one person would notice lol. Yoy only see one at a time. Sorry for your luck.

Try icondirect.com. They advertise in Trailer Life magazine.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

How much is your insurance deductible?
DIY repairs might be more expensive than an insurance claim.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Deductible is $1000. Going to see what it looks like after I get the scuff marks off. If it is just the skirt at the bottom probably not worth it, but I have never priced these pieces out.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Raider View Post
Deductible is $1000. Going to see what it looks like after I get the scuff marks off. If it is just the skirt at the bottom probably not worth it, but I have never priced these pieces out.
OK, you don't have $1000 in damage...unless the tire tore into the wheel well and shredded the cabinet/floor/wall structure inside.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
clr

You can buy a pair of fender skirts for about $100 from recpro.com for your unit. They have they in four colors.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

Are Goodyear Endurance tires the replacement tires of choice with everyone? We have a 2019 Rockwood Ultralite TT (2606WS, I think) and I have convinced my husband to get five new tires to replace the Chinese tires it came with. We go to the Texas Gulf every winter from New Hampshire and I don't want to worry about a blowout. He is always careful about inflation levels and checks to see if the tires are hot every time we stop, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

For scuff

Get totally awesome and some scouring pads that the body shops use I use red and wash with dawn and then spray wax I did same thing new insulation under belly fabric and then gorilla water proof tape and then I used a staple gun to make sure fender skirts eBay Amazon
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Traveler View Post
Are Goodyear Endurance tires the replacement tires of choice with everyone? We have a 2019 Rockwood Ultralite TT (2606WS, I think) and I have convinced my husband to get five new tires to replace the Chinese tires it came with. We go to the Texas Gulf every winter from New Hampshire and I don't want to worry about a blowout. He is always careful about inflation levels and checks to see if the tires are hot every time we stop, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have the same camper as you and did replace with Goodyear Endurance. You will be surprised how much better the Endurance is. I have noticed it tows better and even when at campsite less movement in camper. Plus it is rated E instead of D so well over the OEM tires.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #11

Tires

Top 5 Worst Tire Brands to Avoid at All Costs

• AKS Tires
  • Compass Tires
  • Telluride tires
  • Westlake Tires
  • Geostar
    First of all, the products of these tire companies are lack of basic safety measures and quality control. One time their tires even lacked gum strips, a must-have component to keep the steel ring attached to the tire framework.
    Defective tires made in China are the subject of various defective product lawsuits, filed by customers who allege that, having bought the tires, they are too dangerous to use and have resulted in individual injury and wrongful death. Many tire brands made in China, including 5 brands mentioned above have either been the subject of investigations and recalls. Therefore, numerous people evaluate that these companies are worst tire brands.
    Next, these brands have frequently occurred on the list of unsafe tires, industry experts maintain that you should keep a distance from them for good. These tire companies don’t have that oversight, nor the marketing foresight to design products well-suited to the specific requirements.
    Finally, at the same time we all know that many of the major brand names are manufactured in China. The 5 brands mentioned above are trying to design and make products to “quality standards dictated by the original manufacturers”.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

Invest in tire pressure monitoring system!
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #13

Best two investment to make for RV safety.

Good Tires rated higher than your needs for the weight/speed of your travels and a TPMS system so if you catch a road hazard and your tire starts leaking, you can stop before it makes its self obvious and doing a lot more damage by blowing out.

Yes, Goodyear Endurance seem to be one of the most popular replacements for some of the subpar tires shipped on new RV's. Maxxis 8008's and Sailun also seem to get their share of recommendations.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Be careful with thee Awesome. Good stuff but it will remove/stain paint. You could repaint it and the opposite side with Rustoleum.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk View Post
Get totally awesome and some scouring pads that the body shops use I use red and wash with dawn and then spray wax I did same thing new insulation under belly fabric and then gorilla water proof tape and then I used a staple gun to make sure fender skirts eBay Amazon

Thank you. I am going to tackle the scuff marks tonight. I may try your method if what I have already researched doesn’t work.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves rv View Post
I have the same camper as you and did replace with Goodyear Endurance. You will be surprised how much better the Endurance is. I have noticed it tows better and even when at campsite less movement in camper. Plus it is rated E instead of D so well over the OEM tires.

That is what I am hoping for. I actually bought them off of amazon of all places. There isn’t a single place in my town that could get them for me. They all say they are on backorder.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #17

Tires

As a former driver for Chrysler Proving Grounds when they were in Wittmann, AZ. We tested most of the tires that are sold today. We called these tires made in China, "China Bombs". They are not made well and do not adhere to the NHTSA standards.......I know these Saliuns are sold but I would never put a set of Chinese Made Tires on anything I owned. Please check out the Born On date on these tires. It's the code right after DOT.........re: 0315. This means the tire was made in the 3rd week of the year 2015. DO NOT BUY ANY TIRES MADE IN CHINA! Please............................
Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #18
Flyboy1950

You all missed the best idea: Go online & get the phone number for Castlerock tire customer service. Call them & tell them that one of their tires blew out & caused damage to your vehicle and that you would like to submit a claim for the damages. Then take you trailer to a reputable trailer repair that will give you a proper written estimate on their letterhead. KEEP THE BLOWN OUT TIRE FOR CASTLEROCK TO SEE!!!! Then take some digital photos of all the damages including underneath and from several angles. Take photo of blown out tire too! Then submit all of the photos to Castlerock & they should have a rep contact you either to view the damages (likely not) or they may just ask you to send them a copy of the estimate. If you cannot find Castlerock customer service to contact, then sorry. you will likely just have to chalk it up to experience because you would have to sue Castlerock in small claims court to get your money back (which by the way you will probably win because they likely won't show up in court).

As a former tire dealer, I personally have done this with several major brand tires (Goodyear & Goodrich) and ALWAYS have had them pay the damages. Can't say the same thing for the minor brand tires. Hope it works out for you.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

When I had a blow out it ripped apart my under belly and wheel well over the tire. I used tyvec material and made some new sheet metal wheel wells from some sheet metal I got from home depot. Turned out pretty good actually

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
You all missed the best idea: Go online & get the phone number for Castlerock tire customer service. Call them & tell them that one of their tires blew out & caused damage to your vehicle and that you would like to submit a claim for the damages. Then take you trailer to a reputable trailer repair that will give you a proper written estimate on their letterhead. KEEP THE BLOWN OUT TIRE FOR CASTLEROCK TO SEE!!!! Then take some digital photos of all the damages including underneath and from several angles. Take photo of blown out tire too! Then submit all of the photos to Castlerock & they should have a rep contact you either to view the damages (likely not) or they may just ask you to send them a copy of the estimate. If you cannot find Castlerock customer service to contact, then sorry. you will likely just have to chalk it up to experience because you would have to sue Castlerock in small claims court to get your money back (which by the way you will probably win because they likely won't show up in court).

As a former tire dealer, I personally have done this with several major brand tires (Goodyear & Goodrich) and ALWAYS have had them pay the damages. Can't say the same thing for the minor brand tires. Hope it works out for you.

Lionshead makes castle rock bombs.

Corporate Headquarters
305 Steury Avenue
Goshen, IN 46528
(574)533-6169