Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #21

Lowe's Returns

I worked at Lowe's as an assembler, putting together grills, patio sets, furniture & lawnmowers etc.... & when I worked there (just a couple years ago). We bent over backwards on returns to make customers happy, I've never seen a store or company work with customers so willingly on returns, even when the fault was their stupidity. I've seen returns come back where customers didn't put oil in the engine, or put gas where the oil goes, or didn't mix the gas. Generators, lawnmowers, chippers, you name it, if it had an engine, I've seen it returned with a smile.
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I prefer to buy at a store where I can see and hold what I'm buying. I see Cabelas has the Champion 2000W inverter genny at $399.99. So off I go to Lowes as I saw them there last week at $450. Well, today they are $479. No they will not match the sale price at Cabelas. Even with my 10% veterans discount it is higher but only $30. Then I see the sign ~~ no generator returns if gas or oil has been installed and they do not repair them. How do you know if there is a problem until you add fluids to start them? So, why would anyone buy a genny there if they do not take returns or repair? Calling Cabelas in the morning!
I bought a generator from Lowes when I was building my house and it lasted about 1 months it blew up big time ( generator ) not the engine. when I called Lowes they told me to take it to a local repair shop and they would fix it. I said no I want a replacement, they brought me out a new one and it was the next size up
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #23

Agree. Bought a snow blower from Lowe’s one fall. I had just installed a new cedar deck and wanted one that wouldn’t damage the deck. I was assured it wouldn’t. Had a mild winter so it was several months before I used it. It damaged the deck going right through the sealer and scratched the cedar deck. I called Lowe’s and the store manager came to my home within an hour. Once he saw the damage, he and someone who came with him loaded it in the truck. He returned with a slightly bigger snow blower, special skates made of high impact vinyl. The new blower was $250 more than the one I had purchased and he gave it to me for $150 less than my original which saved me $400 dollars.
He also ordered me new cedar and sealer to repair the damage and scheduled a work order to have it installed at no cost. The reason I’m posting is because Lowe’s has always been there for us with reasonable prices and quality merchandise. When you go to the store they have the same sign saying no returns of any products that gas or oil has been in.
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #24

Interesting thread. In 1998 a huge ice storm hit us here in Canada. Lots of sad stories of loss along with some fun - like a severe shortage of folks who know how to milk a cow or goat by hand. But afterwards our big box stores were filled with used generators of all sizes that they had taken back. I agree it's fraud to buy an item under these circumstances when you intend to return it.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Interesting thread. In 1998 a huge ice storm hit us here in Canada. Lots of sad stories of loss along with some fun - like a severe shortage of folks who know how to milk a cow or goat by hand. But afterwards our big box stores were filled with used generators of all sizes that they had taken back. I agree it's fraud to buy an item under these circumstances when you intend to return it.
Contractor friend was able to purchase a large genny at HD after out last storm that did not materialize. They had nothing smaller than 3500W and they went fast. I'm guessing employees got 1st pick and the smaller ones went faster.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Having been in the electronics retail industry for the last 20 years, I ONLY buy from the internet when I can't buy it locally.

Which is v e r y rarely...

I just retired a little under two months ago, and part of the reason that I got out is because I grew tired of being a salesman for Amazon!

And then having those same people come in when their item didn't work or wanted me to teach them how to use it...

Go ask AMAZON!

See how much help you'll get from them when something doesn't work or you can't understand those instructions that are written in such good descriptive english, or you don't have a clue about the item that you ordered and want instant knowledge of everything about it.

People that do any of that should be ashamed of themselves (they know who they are)...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Having been in the electronics retail industry for the last 20 years, I ONLY buy from the internet when I can't buy it locally.

Which is v e r y rarely...

I just retired a little under two months ago, and part of the reason that I got out is because I grew tired of being a salesman for Amazon!

And then having those same people come in when their item didn't work or wanted me to teach them how to use it...

Go ask AMAZON!

See how much help you'll get from them when something doesn't work or you can't understand those instructions that are written in such good descriptive english, or you don't have a clue about the item that you ordered and want instant knowledge of everything about it.

People that do any of that should be ashamed of themselves (they know who they are)...

I don't buy anything from Amazon or Walmart ~~ NADA, Nothing, ZIP! The last 9 internet searches I found lower prices than Amazon 7 times and 1 other matched. One out of 9 and it could have been a knock-off from China. Two examples ~ compressor was $129 at Amazon and ranged $119 - $139. Bought at Farm & Fleet for $87 inc free shipping and no tax. A small item I needed 10 of ~~ $1.99 each on Amazon + $5.99 shipping. Paid 80 cents each from Radio Shack + 5.95 shipping. Have not been in a Walmart in over 35 years.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #28

I have Amazon Prime, some things I find cheaper at Amazon and I buy there plus two day shipping. We buy food from Walmart as most of the time there are the cheapest around.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Actually that’s getting pretty common with any gas equipment
First issue is they can’t be brought back in the building it’s got to do with fire codek
I bought my generator from Walmart.com with free shipping to home, because I knew that if it didn't work, I could return it to a Walmart store for a refund. Walmart will take back gas powered stuff with gas and oil still in it. They put it on the outside patio, drain and dry it out, then they can ship it back.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #30

I was considering a big screen, 65" TV at a major provider around new years. The salesman told me to wait until the week after the Superbowl when they have 35-40 returns that they sell for a significant discount. I did and saved plenty.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
I was considering a big screen, 65" TV at a major provider around new years. The salesman told me to wait until the week after the Superbowl when they have 35-40 returns that they sell for a significant discount. I did and saved plenty.
That is true, the best bargains on big screen TV's are right after the Super Bowl parties. My daughters both worked at Best Buy & that's when you could buy the big screen TV's for half price or less. So many people will buy the TV "JUST" for the Super Bowl party & then return it the next day & get their money back it's unbelievable. Then these big box stores will have these brand new TV's used once that they can't sell as new & must mark down 50-70%. It's people doing stuff like that & theft, are the reason for the high markups on prices to begin with.
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #32

I am not a big company fan .... However, If I recall correctly, the no return policy for Generators was because many would buy, use, ... Hurricane gets near then return when it passes by. They are not a free rental company.

HD has a horrible policy on everything - I stopped purchasing there a decade ago. Lowes has always been fair, but I see it trending down, but if it is defective out of the box (within 30days), they will replace with a new one from my experience.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #33
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I like to see what I'm buying so I shop my local stores and find the cheapest price and buy there. Never been a big fan on online shopping and besides support your local retailers or there gone. Never had issues with returning items either. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippersbs View Post
That is true, the best bargains on big screen TV's are right after the Super Bowl parties. My daughters both worked at Best Buy & that's when you could buy the big screen TV's for half price or less. So many people will buy the TV "JUST" for the Super Bowl party & then return it the next day & get their money back it's unbelievable. Then these big box stores will have these brand new TV's used once that they can't sell as new & must mark down 50-70%. It's people doing stuff like that & theft, are the reason for the high markups on prices to begin with.
Buy it only to return for a refund causes the retailer to take a loss. No matter a saw or TV, still theft as I see it.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to B and B
How is this theft? Unethical maybe but the retailer could impose a no return policy on supernal much like they extend Holiday purchases over Kwanaza to allow gift returns.

The retailer is to blame and trust me having worked retail the markup on many of these items is 50% so what does it really matter, they are not loosing anything.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
We all spend a lot of money on products and I'm so friggen sick of getting products that are "mostly ok" or good but put together half assed...I ordered a CAMCO 30ft 50 amp extension cord, got it in the mail, took it out of the packaging and they brag about a convenient carrying handle and as advertised, there it was. I picked up the heavy coil of wire by the cord itself and everything looks good, I then set it on the floor while watching the Penguins game and end of the period I picked it up by the handle while looking down at it and WAM! The cheap ass strapping comes loose from the plastic buckle, (it wasn't even looped through) so I proceeded to basically punch myself in the mouth at a good force that reminded me of my old hockey days. Rant over!
I am sure most of us agree that poor design and craftsmenship stinks.

But as a fellow Pennsylvanian I see a greater problem in your post. You seem to be a Penguins fan. Consider moving your alliegence to the Flyers. Nothing bad ever happens to Flyer fans.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
How is this theft? Unethical maybe but the retailer could impose a no return policy on supernal much like they extend Holiday purchases over Kwanaza to allow gift returns.

The retailer is to blame and trust me having worked retail the markup on many of these items is 50% so what does it really matter, they are not loosing anything.
You just stole 50% or so from the retailer knowing you are not going to keep the purchase. If you do not like the price of a retail item, negotiate or walk away. Anyone that does not see how it matters will never understand...
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
You just stole 50% or so from the retailer knowing you are not going to keep the purchase. If you do not like the price of a retail item, negotiate or walk away. Anyone that does not see how it matters will never understand...
X2

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote