Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

Here's How Long a Rubber Roof Actually Lasts

17 years.

At this point the white coating of the EPDM was gone and it was down to black rubber over about 50% of the roof. The black rubber was cracked through in many places and the trailer was destroyed by leaks.

This trailer was at a permanent site in the mid-Atlantic with year round full sun and no cover or roof treatments. The roof probably should have been replaced at 15 years old to save the trailer.

This was a neighbor's camper in my campground with permanent sites. I am curious to hear experiences of those who have actually opted to have new rubber roofs installed to extend the life of an older camper. What did it actually cost and were you pleased with the result?

So much on this forum deals with brand new units that I thought this would be an interesting discussion. My previous camper was 35 years old and still in decent shape when we got rid of it. It, of course, had an aluminum roof. I do not like the idea of treating an expensive RV as a disposable unit.
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

17 years

Our 2001 Santara got a new roof prior to selling it a few months ago. Old roof was still watertight. Coach used monthly and parked under a roof when not in use, would probably have lasted another couple of years....

Cost $1000.00
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

My first trailer roof lasted 16 years before I sold it. It was still in good condition with no "black" showing and never a leak. This is surprising as the desert sun at my elevation is brutal. Never covered.

BUT, I believe that ozone and other pollutants are a major culprit in deterioration and basically we have very little out here.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

My camper rubber roof was about that same age when I bought the camper. It also was worn down to black, and had some little pin holes from where a tree branch had rubbed.

On posts #10 and 11 of this thread...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vy-125403.html

..you can see what kind of rotted wood damage it caused. I would not be surprised if you do not have that same type of damage, or worse.

Apparently, the PO of our campers did not maintain the roof properly. It is supposed to be re-coated every couple of years.

On post # 276, I show how I re-coated mine. It's now white again!

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Senior Member

following this
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

I recoat and treat my roof every year. Less than $30 for the treatment and a couple hours of time. Worth the effort and expense I think. My driveway sits below the level of the house so I can see it every day. I like it white!
tom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2t View Post
I recoat and treat my roof every year. Less than $30 for the treatment and a couple hours of time. Worth the effort and expense I think. My driveway sits below the level of the house so I can see it every day. I like it white!
Do you recoat the entire roof? How do you apply it? What do you use? Our TT is 18 years old now. We bought it in 2000. I wash the roof every year after getting it out of storage and 1-2 times through out the summer. I look at the sealer at all the seams, etc and reseal as needed. The roof is light gray in color as it was when we bought it.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #8

Rubber roof cleaner and sealer. Can get at wal mart or any camper supply.
Mix with water according to instructions. Small sponge mop. Wet roof, clean 4 x 4 area, rinse. Do entire roof, rinse well, rinse sides. Nice white roof!
tom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #9

I used to repaint the roof of my 36Ft, aluminum roofed trailer every other year.
It had a number of seams that I kept an eye on between coatings.
I used a silver coloured roof recovering type "paint" that had an elastic component to it; the name of which escapes me, but I never had a roof leak. I think it came from a farm co-op and was used to seal leaks etc. on barns and other outbuildings.
A leak around the patio door and windows was another matter, despite a careful watch on the caulking.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

I had a 1995 camper that started to show black areas after 10 or 12 years. Coated with a paint on product that went on with a roller that lasted for years. Cost a few hundred $.
New 5th wheel has a PVC roof that has a full 12 year warranty. Clean up is so easy, run a brush over it one time and it looks like new again. Also calls for no treatments ever. Looks like a great product that has been used on buildings for a long time. Not missing the old rubber roof.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

I just follow manufacturer's instructions to wash twice a year with a soft bristle brush and household dish soap (I use Dawn).
I inspect all seams and caulking at the same time and don't worry about getting it "sparkling white"

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

They sell coatings for rubber roofs. It will seal and preserve the rubber base and keep it from cracking. Coat every few years and seal seams yearly.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #13

I'V Am lucky to get 4 years out of an rv roof. Darn tree branches seem to strike when you least expect it.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #14

The roof of my 1987 Jayco is still watertight.
It's a popup.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #15

Gotta get up on the roof several times a year. Only takes a few minutes to protect your investment.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #16

5 years in direct sun

The roof on my 2012 Coachmen Mirada lasted about 5 years uncovered in the Central Florida sun.
jmartin46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #17

Having been a roof guru on a former life I know far too much!

Rubber roofs came out of a declining tire market. In the old days tires lasted 15,000 miles. New tires last much longer so less of them.

The origional rubber roof was installed loose on the roof covered with 6" of stones for uv protection. Seldom glued down as they are today.

Tires are considered unsafe after about 8 years due to uv damage mostly. Classic car guys seldom wear their tires out. They "age out".

So one should assume a rubber roof should last less in Texas or Florida sun. As the sun never shines in Michigan they should last 20 years.

I plan on a bi/yearly inspection of mine and some coating after 4 years.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #18

My experience with EPDM roof material is more of a delamination failure than an actual wear through situation. If the trailer is on the road there are wind forces that cause the roof to come unglued from the roof base causing tears and billowing that eventually leads to leaks and then structural damage underneath that cannot be easily or cheaply repaired. I know a number of people have been using coatings to extend the life of a rubber roof, and I can't speak to those, but just concerned as to what happens when the coatings wear out or fail, then what. Biggest prevention is to get up there once in awhile and look for tears and areas of delamination of the membrane to the roof structure before it requires a major roof repair or replacement. I have heard stories of as much as 7 to 8000 bucks to replace on a 30+ Fifth wheel.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof