Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Hershey Show / anyone ever buy there?

We have been researching for a while, ( looking at ToyHaulers ) , has anyone ever scored a good deal at the shows? If so what were the logistics?
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

Yes we have but it is pretty much just like trying to deal at their location. Usually sale price is listed, if trading expect the lowest offer on it, sometimes the factory might get involved with a rebate as a last stitch effort. Keep in mind if ordering a new unit to be built the time frame will put you into late November then you would be picking up and doing a PDI in cold weather....Trust me I know about that and would not really want to do it again .
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #3

I've had many friends attend the show a come out purchasing a new rig. Prices are decent but dealers now are making very comparable deals so depends what your looking for and what you want to pay it may be worth going to show or not.

Wife and I are heading in there this year to ponder possibly upgrading.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Camper

I tried to buy at the show. Got a decent price on a new unit but they would not budge on my trade value. We were 1000 dollars apart on price. I walked away. 1 year later I found the unit I wanted online and got a better deal and more for my trade than at the show.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #5

Depending on the Toyhauler your looking for you may not find it to walk through at the show.

I went one year looking for toyhauler and the ones I had it narrowed down to during research could not find it there.

It is a fun place to go but Toyhauler are hard to find.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F

We bought our Forester at the Hershey Show in 2016. There are a few things to keep in mind.

This is a manufacturers show, meaning all units are shipped directly from the manufacturer. The dealers have nothing invested in them, but are obligated to take them if they do not sell.

Many of the sales persons just work shows and are not connected to the dealer. The dealer and the sales people are paid a set commission from the manufacturer, irregardless of the price for which the unit is sold.

The “show price” is totally irrelevant to the final price and is negotiable. I purchased my Forester for $10,000 BELOW the show price. The MSRP was $115,000 and the show price was 84,500. I paid 74,500. It took some dealing. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE. Don’t pay more than 35% below MSRP.

Purchase from a dealer close to you if possible. I purchased from Campers Inn because they have a dealer close to my homes in Virginia and Florida. This has been great for service and warranty work as I can get it done at either place.

There are factory reps at the show. One spent three hours with me showing me everything on the unit and how to use it. He also gave me his cell number to call if I ever needed it. I used it twice the first year and he was very helpful. The owner of Campers Inn was also there and did the same. He walked through the unit for anything that needed fixed, gave me a list and also a personal not for $100 store credit.

They delivered it to Virginia from their Philadelphia dealership after the show.

Finally, as with buying a new car, you are ALWAYS better off selling your old one rather than trading it in on a new one. ALWAYS. You can’t expect to get rock bottom price on the new unit and top dollar for your old unit unless you buy the new outright and sell your old unit yourself.

Campers Inn has been excellent to work with, and the Forest River Warranty Department has been superb. I’ve had issues, and a couple major ones, but the dealer and FR have repaired them all, with one coming six months after the warranty expires.

Good luck.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Thanks. I have had numerous issues with our 2017 Forester 3011DS, and would love to corner a FR factory rep. Now camping in Maine and our bed slide and generator icons "disappeared from Lippert control panel... AGAIN. Had to pull bedroom drawers with slide in and "jiggle" module connections until I got them back and put bed slide out. We have LEMON FR rig.
Clonemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

Hershey How

One person's opinion......Based on what I have seen and heard I am not sure this is the best show to buy from....I believe other shows are better.....I have heard some real horror stories about this show especially after purchase issues.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonemaster View Post
Thanks. I have had numerous issues with our 2017 Forester 3011DS, and would love to corner a FR factory rep. Now camping in Maine and our bed slide and generator icons "disappeared from Lippert control panel... AGAIN. Had to pull bedroom drawers with slide in and "jiggle" module connections until I got them back and put bed slide out. We have LEMON FR rig.

I had the same problem with the Lippert Control Panel. I sent an email to their customer service rep and he immediately sent me an updated Control panel. Plugged it in, and it works perfectly.

customerservice@lci1.com
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #10

Hershey Show

We've gone there several years while we were still looking. Just purchased a Surveyor 241 RBLE from Keystone RV Center in Greencastle PA. They were great and got a fantastic deal. Didn't have to fight the crowds and competition of other buyers like you do at the show. Plus if you buy one that's on the lot at the show you have hundreds of people walking thru what you have purchased.
CarolD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #11

We have been several times we do our homework before going and if we find a fifth wheel we like, we have a bite to eat and I research what the cost is and where we can get it for the best price. We are buying a new fiver in 4 years and have our eye on one in particular, our dealer up here charges $94000 and the rig in Wood lawn, VA is $54000. no prep fees, it is no before you go what your budget and plans are for traveling. We are going full time in 4 -5 years and our doing a lot of research' We purchased a Thousand Trails Camping pass that allows us 30 free nights and 2 zones, we have used this 3 times already and will be booking again soon. When we go on the road we will invest in a membership, looking at a used one now.
Emeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #12

Just a little more info just incase. Dealers that sell there that are not local will set up after the show to deliver the units they have sold at the show. Some could have been display units from the show and some might have been at their lots. Doing a PDI in a hotel parking lot with no real shop set up could not be the best thing to do has they might not have the tools and parts to correct any issues, then I see a lot of WE OWE issues you may never really get taken care of. Like I said just something more to keep in mind. Good luck
Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #13

Great advice from everyone , thanks !
We are only 1.5 hours away, Frederick, Md, so it will at least be a good way to check out all the THs weve been researching online and are not at any local dealers' lots.
I feel that if my homework is thorough / precise, and I know exactly what we want, getting one of those internet deals ( like RV Wholesalers )maybe the best routes. Agree? thoughts?
Thanks again !
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #14

You have to go to the dealer representing the manufacturer for delivery we weren’t aware of this they also screwed up our trade in values and it was a nightmare after that. This was the Hershey show.
jacked250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonemaster View Post
Off Topic Alert!

Have you contacted your dealer? Complaining here won't really fix the issues.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #16

We bought our current unit at a wholesaler but not during a show, we knew we would probably never be back to see them for service work and so far we were right, all work done ourselves or at the Goshen rally
Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #17

We are also going to Hershey. This will be our first time. When I spoke to some of the vendors at the Goshen rally, they all gave the same advice...if you can go on Thursday or Friday then do it...Saturday is a zoo and in the vendor area there are so many people that it is a waste of everyone's time to be there in their opinion.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #18

If anyone attends on Sat I might suggest to get there as early as possible, I have seen and heard about a hour or more in line just to park then long lines to enter the show. Also they will have metal detectors that EVERYONE will have to pass thru, this started last year and I believe they also posted it on the web site.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Depending on the Toyhauler your looking for you may not find it to walk through at the show.

I went one year looking for toyhauler and the ones I had it narrowed down to during research could not find it there.

It is a fun place to go but Toyhauler are hard to find.
Not out West. RV shows and dealer lots are full of them, especially in California.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Great advice from everyone , thanks !
We are only 1.5 hours away, Frederick, Md, so it will at least be a good way to check out all the THs weve been researching online and are not at any local dealers' lots.
I feel that if my homework is thorough / precise, and I know exactly what we want, getting one of those internet deals ( like RV Wholesalers )maybe the best routes. Agree? thoughts?
Thanks again !
Go to the show and look around and have fun. I have gone to the show in the past but have not seen alot of toyhaulers. Maybe you will see it there. We did see our camper floorplan for the first time there and of course loved it. We then went home and spent the winter researching it and looked online for prices. We got a quote from rvw but also found it on the lot at keystone rv center just north of Hagerstown. Keystone beat rvw for price and was alot closer (we are in Baltimore). We bought it early spring. I have been back for service several times in the 2 and a half years since we bought and have been pleased with the service. Since they are fairly close to you, I would check them out.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show