Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Hi all. First RV

First off, hi everyone. We are searching for our first RV and plan on full timing. Stationary for the first couple of years in Florida then who knows. We are buying a fifth wheel and have been looking at all brands. We do like the Sierra 371REBH a lot. We are going to the Hershey show to take a look. Anyway, two questions for now. First, we will be living around the Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Daytona area of Florida. Any thoughts on GOOD dealers down that way? And second, I have been hearing horror story after horror story about dealer service after the sale. I have already contacted an independent service center in the area and they will come out to do repairs as long as the manufacturer will okay it. Do you know Forest Rivers policy on that? And okay, a third question. Do you guys ever "reinforce" things before they break? For example, I have heard of drawers falling apart. I was thinking to go over everything after buying it and making it better on my own. I know it's up to the dealer and manufacturer to do this in the first place but that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time. Thanks guys and gals.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Don't panic. If you read these forums about all you will read about is horror stories. The satisfied people don't post many tales about how great their RV is. Hershey should be a great place to see what there is on the market. Don't show your love for any RV in front of a salesman as they may want to sell you on the RV on the spot. Take your time, since you plan to full time make sure you satisfy most of your needs. I would say satisfy all your needs but that probably won't happen. Compare prices and since you have already contacted an independent service center it will give you freedom to shop price even more. Do a lot of on-line comparisons and make sure you are comparing apple to apples. Make sure you get a good PDI BEFORE you finalize any sale and any deficiencies are taken care of before you hand over any funds or the dealer may never make them right. If you have video camera it may help to record it because you may forget some information that is important. There are some good checklists available here on the forum and other places on the web. Chat with other shoppers at the Hersey show to find out what the likes and dislikes are of the different RV's on display. Good Luck, enjoy a different kind of lifestyle.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

Thanks BooBoo23. Great advice. I have got prices on 2 units so far. And I made it clear to them that I was going to the Hershey show before pulling the trigger on anything. One dealer came down 35% off MSRP. It's a Jayco which we liked a lot but it doesn't have a king bed or a booth dinette. Both of which are must haves. The Sierra 371rlbh has everything we want. As for the PDI, I printed out the checklist and I am also hiring the service place I talked with to do the PDI with me. They send 3 men and test everything. Well worth the money I think as we've never owned an RV before. We also wont have a truck right away and will be living in it full time so it can't go back to the dealer for any length of time. And yes, we are nervous about that.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

I agree with your thoughts on this wonderful and helpful forum. It will scare the life from you. I can't remember how many things I have bought because of "preventive" problems. I am not saying this isn't good I am just saying it is scary to a newbie. Read the information here. Process it as a human would and use all that applies.
I envy your future with full timing and I hope you enjoy to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

You might want to check out RV Direct.com
I saved nearly 40% by purchasing from them, about $35,000. They have many different brands & styles available.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

We bought our unit from RV Outlet USA, in Danville, VA. Virginia RV Dealer - Toy Haulers, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheel RVs for Sale Ringgold, VA - RV Outlet USA
Best price we could find other than a matching price from a guy out of Dallas, but we live in east Tennessee. Give him a try, they beat Lazydays from the Tampa Florida Supershow in Jan by $13,000 and their unit had some extra upgrades like power driver seat on top of the savings. We found him through a factory rep for a 5th wheel we liked at one of the big RV shows who told us the shows were fine for checking out and comparing models, but when you get serious about buying give them a call. (we'd been to several for 3 years looking for the right unit to fit our needs longterm after being in a 34' V-Lite for 5 years.)

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #7

I might add NEVER pay MSRP on anything. Most common discounts from MSRP are a minimum of 30% and go as high as 40% so a 35% discount is a good place to start.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #8

I was thinking to go over everything after buying it and making it better on my own. I know it's up to the dealer and manufacturer to do this in the first place but that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time. Thanks guys and gals.
Partial Quote:::
""I was thinking to go over everything after buying it and making it better on my own. I know it's up to the dealer and manufacturer to do this in the first place but that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time. Thanks guys and gals. "

Yes I agree.....If its broke and you can fix it.....DO SO and it will be done correctly and to your satisfaction!!!!!!!!!!......J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

You might want to check with the manufacturer that you decide upon, whether the independent service dealer would be authorized to do warranty work or not/get it in writing. And everything you fix /repair during the warranty may void the warranty if you later find you couldn't fix it completely by yourself. Some folks like to get an added extended warranty at purchase.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Like anything new, there is a learning curve. Be mindful that these rigs are more complex than a tent. Too many people expect to hook up and just drive off without a care in the world, the way they do with a new car, when as long as they turn the key on, and he thing starts, everything is just copacetic. We just purchased a gently used 2013 Sunseeker, and went through some issues, but learned a bunch. One thing you have to do is try to learn about the care and maintenance of all the systems on your 5th wheel or motor home. I can tell you right off that the quality of many things is borderline, and probably enough to move the unit out the door and out of warranty before a problem, most of which are manageable, take place. With a little research and dedication to being able to cope, you will overcome and learn. The community you are joining is made up of people who have learned this, but who persevere because the life style is the reward. Best of luck to you, and never be afraid to ask a question. There is no such thing as a stupid question. We are enjoying our new motor home, and look forward to many years of pleasant traveling and meeting good people who enjoy the freedom of the road.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblake39 View Post
First off, hi everyone. We are searching for our first RV and plan on full timing. Stationary for the first couple of years in Florida then who knows. We are buying a fifth wheel and have been looking at all brands. We do like the Sierra 371REBH a lot. We are going to the Hershey show to take a look. Anyway, two questions for now. First, we will be living around the Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Daytona area of Florida. Any thoughts on GOOD dealers down that way? And second, I have been hearing horror story after horror story about dealer service after the sale. I have already contacted an independent service center in the area and they will come out to do repairs as long as the manufacturer will okay it. Do you know Forest Rivers policy on that? And okay, a third question. Do you guys ever "reinforce" things before they break? For example, I have heard of drawers falling apart. I was thinking to go over everything after buying it and making it better on my own. I know it's up to the dealer and manufacturer to do this in the first place but that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time. Thanks guys and gals.

As far as the dealer in this area I think we visited every dealer in central Florida, tampa, and even Jacksonville and the 2 dealers we like the most were camping world and giant rec world in winter garden. We ended up buying from giant rec world but that was based on they had what we were looking for and they hit my price requirement. Happy shopping, I really enjoyed going and seeing all that was there before buying. Also I believe if it is close enough and you need service that some places will come pick the unit up if you can't get it to them.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

I actually did reinforce much in my camper. When I got it home I started in the front and re-did everything I felt was substandard. It took many hours but very little money. Well worth the time. I have been over some very rough roads and have had nothing fall apart.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #13

KenHwy61, can you give us a short list of the areas you found most in need of reinforcing?

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Citrus County, Fl.

A great dealer in Central Florida is Tri-Am RV in Ocala which is about 1.5 hours from Port Orange. They have been family owned since 1967 and are part of the Route66 network of dealers. All they carry is Forest River at the moment. They don't have Sierra but do carry Silverback, Sandpiper and Cedar Creek. They have a Sandpiper 373MBOK which is similar to what you are looking at in the Sierra. 2016 FOREST RIVER SANDPIPER 373MBOK

These people are great to deal with. After the PDI you spend the night in there hookup area to make sure everything works. After the sale service has been good. We had a slight water leak and the took us in the next day while I waited on it even though the service dept was very busy. They found a bad ice maker line and replaced it and fixed or adjusted a couple of minor things we had found.

If you don't purchase from them, they still will work on your unit.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #15

Thanks everyone. A lot of great information. Tfort, PM coming your way. If I did it right. I don't want to hijack my own post.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #16

Don't let the negativity get to you. Its a great lifestyle and well worth the crazy things that happen along the way. It's a house on wheels, stuff will go wrong its part of it. If you can do work then do it and it will be like you want it to be. For the stuff you can't do, it sounds like you have a plan. Find the one and enjoy the lifestyle. You won't regret it.
jimmymjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #17

Thanks GL1800Rider. The Sandpiper is the other one we were looking at. Gonna compare them both at the Hershey RV show is a couple of weeks.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternHappens View Post
KenHwy61, can you give us a short list of the areas you found most in need of reinforcing?
Each camper would be different but some examples were thing like cabinets mount screws screwed into insulation instead of the wall studs, trim pieces loose, table top wobbly, stove top loose, etc, etc. etc. I just went through most every thing and improved it. Sometimes all it takes it some new screws and a dab of glue. Sometimes it take fabricating new supports. They are often in a hurry when they build these things so attention to "behind the scenes" detail is often lacking. Open everything and look behind. Is the wiring and plumbing secure or hanging loose? Check the black ABS drain fittings. Are the fittings tight and glued? Do the water lines drip when pressurized? Tug on trim pieces around the coach. Same with television mounts, cabinet doors and even the cabinets themselves. Check everything you can. If you can pull it off by hand, it will come off bouncing down the highway!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblake39 View Post
Thanks everyone. A lot of great information. Tfort, PM coming your way. If I did it right. I don't want to hijack my own post.

I have not received a PM as of yet. I will be glad to help in anyway I can.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote