Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #21

I've pulled in 40 mph winds and after about on hour of that, we pulled off the road in a truck stop till is calmed down a bit. 30-35 mph is now my limit. Sitting in a park, tornado warning means head to shower house...sever T-storms also. Micro-burst hit a lease C.G. last year where I live, 20 RV's all laying on their sides. If a storm can overturn a train, there's not an RV built that will stay upright. I've seen them moved 15-20 ft off their spot and still upright.
(57 years of living in Tornado Alley in Nebraska)
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Sims View Post
Hello all,

As an RV newbie, one of the things that I find myself concerned about is how much wind is too much wind?

I live in North Texas and this time of year we can have a beautiful day starting out the day and by late afternoon we are experiencing severe spring weather! Just like we did last weekend on our very first trip!!! We experienced severe thunderstorms and a tornado warning. Normally I don't get too concerned about them, since I've lived here all my life and I used to chase tornadoes for fun!! Yes fun!! LOL!! However, now that I may be in an 9000 pound TT, I have to think differently.

My question or concerns are this: At what wind speed should I really be worried? I know all about storm characteristics and how violent they can be, but when does the real danger of blow over occur? Once again, I know all the circumstances are different but what have some of you "seasoned" RV veterans experienced?

I thought maybe there were other "newbies" out there as well that may have similar concerns. So any feedback would be helpful!

Many thanks!
Neil
We live in an area not to far from southern Alberta where 50 mph wind is considered a calm day, where semitrailer roll like tin cans and empty rail cars get lifted of the tracks.
I don't have much to say about wind speeds, but when it gets to windy for comfort and you can't run then pull the slides in and make sure, like others already pointed out, you have your tanks full. Watch the wind direction, some trailers are susceptible to winds from the broad side, others from the front. Stay off or get off the road especially in strong crosswind situations, I've seen light weight trailers flipped in as little 30 mph wind.
Know your trailer.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #23

We're on our 4th straight day of strong winds. Normal for this time of the year. Taking TT out next Friday for first trip of the year. Only 50 miles to the CG, but concerned... you betcha.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #24
jammer 16

High winds

Being from Joplin MO we’re pretty cognizant of high winds, that’s why I. Bought a Windjammer. Last 2 years we were caught in Amarillo in very high winds. Luckily the RV Park is orientated to where you park N/S and I kept the Truck hitched to the RV. When the winds came we rode it out scarred ——— then I remembered I pull it down the road going 75 and it stays together. The 3rd time was south of Calgary Canada. Took that one broadside had no warning. Wore out my knees on that one especially when the Rockn started. I figured if it’s my time to go at least I’ll go in something I enjoy. Common sense goes a long way. Wish I had some.
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote