Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #11

I'm on the HOA board in my neighborhood. With most standard covenants I've seen a HOA Board cannot add or modify rules that are not already defined in the existing approved covenants. In my HOA our covenants require a majority vote, 50% +1, of the homeowners to change, add or delete any of the covenants.

A couple of things I'd check out: What is the legal definition of "storage" in your locality? Does that definition include a time frame? If so you might be able to use that time frame if it is defined in any local city or county codes. I'd start with the local Code Enforcement department on that...

If that doesn't work out does your HOA use a management company? If you do they should have an attorney who can answer your questions.

Good luck...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #12

Ours allow for up to 5 consecutive days for cleaning and maintenance.

It also allows for storage in the backyard if "substantially screened". Obviously that is very vague, especially when your privacy fence cannot be any taller than 6 ft.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Just curious as to other HOA covenants around the country. I'm on our HOA board of 32 homes and our covenants state no storage of trailers/RVs. However, there is no time-frame stipulated in the current covenants.

Just to give you the local setting, we are 20 miles southeast of Denver in a rural farmland setting. Each lot is 5 acres with very few trees (open rolling hills).

We have debated setting a 72 hr window for cleaning/maintenance/etc but can't seem to reach a consensus. Several houses have invested in barns and we've even discussed allowing campers between Memorial Day & Labor Day.

With no time limit currently set, if someone is paying for storage, it's difficult to enforce the covenant if they have an RV in the driveway for a couple of weeks.

Just curious as to other HOA regulations that people operate under. As our neighborhood experiences turnover in houses, I'm seeing more of a snob mentality (someone complains after 3 days) which does not fit our rural setting and is the reason we moved from the burbs out to the prairie.

Having a camper ourselves, as long as the area around it is maintained (mowed), I don't have an issue with them being parked beside the house.

I welcome any feedback.

5 Acres and you can't store an RV wow........... Sorry sounds like snob city to me, sorry I would never move there. No HOA here & would fight hard as I could to keep one away. Sorry do not let me really tell you what I think of HOAs

Anyway my younger son does have an HOA in his city he has one quarter acre and they will allow a boat or RV behind the front line of the house and with a privacy fence. No time limit.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Ours allow for up to 5 consecutive days for cleaning and maintenance.

It also allows for storage in the backyard if "substantially screened". Obviously that is very vague, especially when your privacy fence cannot be any taller than 6 ft.
Army surplus camo netting?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

We live in Canada in a HOA. The land is 100% private, no municipal rules at to land use. We are allowed 24 hours over a 2 week period to maintain, load and unload our RVs. WE have a storage lot part of the complex so other than washing or spring cleaning we can do what ever wee need to in the storage lot.

We are classified as a condo strata. Run by a MUC board, I am a member of the RV club which reports to the board. We have 50 trailers and boats out of 150 residences built of the 260 total.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
HOA have their place and are needed. When you bought the land didn't you know the
rules? I have lived in sub divisions with HOA and people wouldn't cut their grass!
If you bought in a place with HOA rules and now you don't want to follow them, shame on you.

Our neighborhood was created 10 years ago and operated for awhile without an HOA being formed. But to answer your question, yes the covenants were part of the closing process. After creating the HOA, we decided to only manage the covenants from a reactive basis meaning only after a complaint was submitted. With such a small community, we all knew each other and things were hunky-dory. As the economy started to improve and home values increasing, people started capitalizing on their equity and hence the turnover in ownership recently.

The original owners like myself moved here for the rural privacy and seclusion. But as new owners move in, the expectations are moving more to a "citi-fied" expectation. I worry next that someone will propose a maximum grass height at which point our house will go up for sale... We all maintain a small groomed yard but most of land is wild prairie.

Last year since we could not agree on revised RV covenants, we agreed to table the discussion for one year. Now that camping season is upon us, we are approaching the 1 yr mark in June.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #17

Sounds like a beautiful place, We just changed the rules on how the common meeting hall is used to exclude certain uses. Being fully private the whole place is licenced as a private reseidence. We just take our own beverage for social activities. I do like my diet coke
Old 05-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #18

When we were living in Colorado our neighborhood covenants allowed for RV storage on site and had the same rules for any vehicles not parked in the main house garage. The lots were 1-1.5 acres and the rules required the RV/vehicle be on a concrete drive behind the back wall line of the house. There had to be a conforming privacy fence and gate in front of and to the side of the RV. An alternative was a detached garage conforming to the style of the house built at the back of the lot with a paved driveway. We had a number of neighbors that did one or the other for their RV's and I never found that it detracted from the neighborhood.

Where we live now we never setup the HOA even though it was in the subdivision covenants. The twenty five or so families that live in the neighborhood feel it would become divisive and that we have all done a pretty good job of self regulating. We also feel we can better spend the dues money rather than give it to property management companies and attorneys. I do have some county restrictions that require me to build any storage pad or building not original to the house behind the back wall line of the house. There are also some minimum property line and septic setback requirements but I have a large enough lot that these aren't and issue.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I'm on the HOA board in my neighborhood. With most standard covenants I've seen a HOA Board cannot add or modify rules that are not already defined in the existing approved covenants. In my HOA our covenants require a majority vote, 50% +1, of the homeowners to change, add or delete any of the covenants.

A couple of things I'd check out: What is the legal definition of "storage" in your locality? Does that definition include a time frame? If so you might be able to use that time frame if it is defined in any local city or county codes. I'd start with the local Code Enforcement department on that...

If that doesn't work out does your HOA use a management company? If you do they should have an attorney who can answer your questions.

Good luck...
RedLdr1, we are a very small community and self managed by a small board of 5 peeps. Agreed, to change the covenants requires the HOA ownership to vote and approve any changes. We are not in a municipality so there are no zoning regulations that would apply (our county is very loosely managed). We have three sides to this debate
1. Those who have spent $20-100K on nice barns that match the house and don't want to see others just park RVs outside when they have invested heavily to screen theirs;
2. Folks who would like to allow for one RV/trailer to be parked within the bldg envelope; and
3. Those that don't want any changes

To me, if I've paid storage for the past 3 years and currently still paying, then my camper can sit in my driveway for 2 weeks and is not being "stored". But we do have those in the neighborhood (very few) that have nothing better to do than stare out their windows with the binos. We are approaching 11 years here and have been happy so far. We have talked about moving and getting something around 35 acres since our county requires 10 acres to target shoot. Thanks for the feedback.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

5 Acres and you can't store an RV wow........... Sorry sounds like snob city to me, sorry I would never move there. No HOA here & would fight hard as I could to keep one away. Sorry do not let me really tell you what I think of HOAs

Anyway my younger son does have an HOA in his city he has one quarter acre and they will allow a boat or RV behind the front line of the house and with a privacy fence. No time limit.

In my area, the 5 acre lots have $500,000+ houses and no RV's. The 1/4 acre lots have $50,000 houses and RV's.

It's an interesting juxtaposition.

Just an observation.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote