Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question HOAs in Canada?

Quote:
A pop-up may or may-not fit in your garage. or store somewhere in your yard where the HOA-Nazi's won't have a problem with it (or you may have one of those accomodating HOA boards <fantasy..LOL>

If your camping places it rains & there is canvas on the unit, you need to make sure the unit is completely aired-out dry before locking it up for storage, to prevent mildew & musty smell.
I've personally never been in a Florida tent/pop-up/Hybrid that didn't smell like mildew factory within 2 years of purchase, which is why I made the evolution from tent, to pop-up to TT (plus I moved into a community with a HOA board from hell).
The about quote from the popup vs TT thread is typical of the threads I've seen online about living w/ a HOA. My question is, "Are similiar situations in Canada?" I know we have bylaws in most municipalites, but some of these places sound a little overkill.

Former neighbours had thought of moving into Wilmot Creek (on L. Ontario between Bowmanville & Newcastle), but 1 of the rules was that their grandchildren wouldn't be able to stay overnight.

Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Not to high-jack your thread, but I'd like to comment of HOA.

I've noticed many time, not just here, that owners complain of their HOA rules or community by-laws. The way I see it, they knew of the rules prior to moving in. And, if they didn't know of the HOA rules or by-laws, it's their fault for not investigating prior to signing and buying. Don't get me wrong. I think a HOA is a good think, but some go too far. It's ashame that one can not have their grandchildren stay overnight. If you do find yourself in a position as mentioned above, and would like to do something about it, meet with your HOA. Try to have the rules changed or amended.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

HOA's here have in many cases way oversteeped what is reasonable. Some have tried to ban satellite dishes which by federal law is illegal. One of my friends at work was told he could only use natural building products after he asked if he could use TREX decking on his front porch (which was about 300' from the street mind you and there is no way anyone would know what the deck was made from at that distance). Other neighborhoods have enacted rules that state you have to have your garbage can off the street within 2 hours after the garbage is picked up or you will get a Nazi-gram from them, too bad if you have a job, you better come home and take care of your garbage can before one of the HOA board members who are largely retired with nothing better to do than stick their noses in others business comes around and sees it. In a country where we value freedom so highly many down here go out of their way to obliterate it at every turn. I always say that since the ending of the cold war, the US has become one of the most communistic countries in the world. You can't hardly do anything down here anymore without the government, your neighbors or a special intrest group getting in your face. I fully understand the need to set rules that there not be broken appliances in the front yard and derelict vehicles rotting in the driveway but for god's sake why should an HOA be able to tell you what kind of plants you can plant or that you HAVE to have a lawn.

Sorry, you really struck a nerve there with this one...

In my neighborhood there had been an HOA with CCRs but they failed to meet or enforce the rules so after a given amount of time they are rendered nullified. I made sure before I built there. We have a nice neighborhood and people keep their places looking nice and clean so there really isn't a need for it.

Milzat is right. People should do their research before they buy and not complain after the fact. Kinda like buying next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post

Milzat is right. People should do their research before they buy and not complain after the fact. Kinda like buying next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

That's been the issue in Oshawa. The airport was built NW of the town during WWII. As the city grew it has surrounded the airport. It's been a few years, but there was a period of time when some owners in a subdivision built in the 50s kept on complaining about it.

The largest aircraft flying into it on a semi-regular basis are DC-3s (C-47s for you military folk). It's not like they're next door to O'Hare.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote