Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #1

Holy Hanna !!

Hi All
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I still have to ask is this voltage booster is also a surge protector ??

Voltage Booster

I got this from searching this subject but the post was over 265 days old so I couldn't reply to it. I had to start this new thread

I never in a million years ever thought of a surge protector until this site

Where ever we stopped with our tt ( 30 amp ) we plugged in never giving a second though to anything. Just happy as heck. "Ignorance is bliss" but I see now could be VERY costly.
Everything is so expensive here. I have been watching Camping World for pricing. Paying shipping and duty I think may still be less expensive.

We now have a 5er 50 amp. Do we need a 30 and 50 amp ??

I am really lost here, but very nervous. I'm really afraid to go out this year without the proper equipment
Curt 20k.Q5 Slider
dezldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

I use auto transformers at work. Its not an automatic transformer - just the way the windings are configured as a single winding.

- If the voltage is low it will boost it a percentage or ratio and it sounds like it is able to boost in 2 stages, so 2 percentages or ratios. If the voltage is 118 volts or higher it will bypass the step up logic. It sounds like if the voltage is high it will disconnect power as well.

From an electricians point of view this looks like a pretty nifty unit.

I am not sure how good fast surges will be protected in this unit, but you can't protect against everything. Everything electrical has a response time any if the times too long and the surge big enough and fast enough some of the best surge protectors out there can still let damaging power through.

Its all about reducing risk not eliminating it.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #3

Yes it does both. When I had a 30AMP rig I used Frank's 30AMP rated booster/surge protector. Now that I have a 50AMP unit I purchased a 50AMP booster/surge protector. I suggest you look at Progressive Industries 50AMP units as they are smaller and weigh less, and can be mounted internal or external. Its my understanding that a 50AMP can be used when 30AMPs are only available, but a 30AMP cannot be used for 50AMP service. They are not cheap, but well worth it.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #4

Sorry bailer - going to play devils advocate here. With transformer units like you have - lighter does not mean better. Heavier transformers are "usually" built better or able to sustain heavier loads over longer times without overheating or burning out.

Most likely the difference is an aluminum verses a copper wound core. Which both are fine unless the aluminum one get overloaded and hot too many times that can drastically shorten the life of the unit. As a rule of thumb with tranformers heavier means heavier duty.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but just want to explain differences or possible ones.

Rick
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote