Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdiver View Post
Do any of the cities, with ordinances against using sewer connections, provide another means of dumping? It seems that as more people buy Rvs there are less dump stations. In California they have been removing dump stations from the rest areas as well. I have found areas along roads that appear to be the residue from some people just dumping on the ground.
If communities make it illegal to use your own clean-out to dump they should provide a place for you to dump.
These forums are great for the exchange of ideas! I have a different outlook on this subject. In NM dump stations were removed from rest stops and most public areas decades ago. And most likely it's probably illegal to use sewer clean outs for dumping in most cities.

But should it be the state and cities responsibility to provide you with a place a to dump? I don't think so... I believe it's the individual RV owners responsibility. We've traveled across the country and never had a problem finding dump stations. Any RV park will let you dump even if you aren't a guest and more and more truck stops have dump stations. Of course both cost a small fee. Just one of those things that comes with RV ownership.

As far as dumping into your own clean out. If it is illegal, I think it's a law that is only there to protect the city from gross abusers. For the normal joes like us I believe it's one of those unenforceable laws. I'm sure my neighbors have no clue I dump into my clean outs, much less local code enforcers. So as long as I don't do anything crazy and draw attention... no problem.

Just my 2.5 cents (inflation).

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #42

[QUOTE=JohnF;1210288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
The reason for it being illegal is because there has been cases people dumping such things as motor oil, vehicle antifreeze, gasoline and other harmful chemicals down the clean outs. Doing such things like this will cause major problems in the sewer mains and at the treatment plant, there are two citys within 30 miles of ours that have had to do a complete restart on their treatment plants within the last year because of gas or motoroil being dumped into the city sewer. This process ends up costing thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in damage and man power to get everything back up and working correctly.
This is typical gov't overstepping its bounds. You should be able to dump your RV "crap" down your own cleanout just like you do dump your normal "crap" down your toilet inside. Calling something illegal doesn't necessarily stop it. It should be illegal to dump all the things you point out, whether its down your cleanout or your toilet, but "crap" should be perfectly legal. There's nothing to stop anyone from dumping all those nasties down their toilet. It's a matter of enforcing the right things, not ALL things.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #43
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The one thing to consider is which why is the clean out plumbed , toward the house or away ? they use a sanitary sweep tee for clean outs and normally head toward the house so if there is a problem they can run a auger/ snake in toward the house to clear any issues . if done correctly that's the way your clean out faces . some get it done even better by having 2 clean outs next to each other one heading out and the other heading in . if yours isas i suspect it runs back toward your house so when you dump it will force the sewage up stream and then it will stop by gravity and start going the correct way and that may cause a clog
As a retired plumber, I can say with confidence that all clean outs are to be installed with the sanitary tee facing downstream....in other words, away from your house. That is a requirement of the National Plumbing Code. If yours faces the house, it was installed incorrectly. Just sayin.....that's why one finds almost all clean outs are placed close to the house. One can sometimes get the snake to go towards the house, but some skill is required. That being said, I also use my clean out to dump at the end of the camping season, when I do a thorough black tank cleaning. The inspection tee is another matter.....it is located closer to the street (if you are on a city sewer system) and uses a conventional tee. Great for snaking either direction! I'm done now.....
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #44

I guess my statement wasn't clear. I meant to imply that if you are going to stop someone from doing something you need to take responsibility of providing an alternative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumping your black or grey water into your existing sewer connection. If you are on a septic system then nothing applies to you.
Just because a group of people get together and become a governing body doesn't give them the right to make others conform to their beliefs or customs. There are already too many good intentioned people out there, we don't need anymore.
I became an RV person for freedom of the road, only to find there are so many hidden agendas out there against RV'ers. The cities in California don't want RV'ers staying any where but a park that can tax the over night stay. Example of one hidden agenda, I could list many more.
NMWILCAT I fail to see how being resourceful and then having a city or state change the rules is cvery productive. I too have managed to find a dump stations, Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Station, Dump Points comprehensive directory, on my travels. The state of California seems to be against RV dumping. My fear as stated in my original post is that as people find it more difficult to find dump stations they are more prone to illegal dumping on the ground in isolated areas. Putting waste where it goes is the best resolve. Having to drive hundreds of miles out of your way to a dump site isn't prudent. It also consumes more fuel. Thank you for your insight and Rv'ers do need to be responsible to their communities and the environment. Thank You
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Why not just make it illegal to dump anything but raw sewage into a sewer line instead of cutting off this resource to all rv's? It's likely the idiots who dumped oil etc. into the line will continue to do it if it's made legal or not. Imo
Part of the reason around here is sewer fees are based on water usage so anyone dumping after using water from outside the system aren't paying. I know it is nit picking but the last time we were on city services the sewer fees were about 2-3 times the water fees so the city had a strong financial incentive to make it illegal.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #46
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdiver View Post
I guess my statement wasn't clear. I meant to imply that if you are going to stop someone from doing something you need to take responsibility of providing an alternative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumping your black or grey water into your existing sewer connection. If you are on a septic system then nothing applies to you.
Just because a group of people get together and become a governing body doesn't give them the right to make others conform to their beliefs or customs. There are already too many good intentioned people out there, we don't need anymore.
I became an RV person for freedom of the road, only to find there are so many hidden agendas out there against RV'ers. The cities in California don't want RV'ers staying any where but a park that can tax the over night stay. Example of one hidden agenda, I could list many more.
NMWILCAT I fail to see how being resourceful and then having a city or state change the rules is cvery productive. I too have managed to find a dump stations, Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Station, Dump Points comprehensive directory, on my travels. The state of California seems to be against RV dumping. My fear as stated in my original post is that as people find it more difficult to find dump stations they are more prone to illegal dumping on the ground in isolated areas. Putting waste where it goes is the best resolve. Having to drive hundreds of miles out of your way to a dump site isn't prudent. It also consumes more fuel. Thank you for your insight and Rv'ers do need to be responsible to their communities and the environment. Thank You
I was merely trying to point out the proper way to install a clean out tee! Sorry if I upset you.....
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Part of the reason around here is sewer fees are based on water usage so anyone dumping after using water from outside the system aren't paying. I know it is nit picking but the last time we were on city services the sewer fees were about 2-3 times the water fees so the city had a strong financial incentive to make it illegal.
Also a strong incentive to not wash your truck, not water your garden, etc.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Also a strong incentive to not wash your truck, not water your garden, etc.
Good point.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #49

We are on a septic tank. We installed an underground junction to one of our clean outs and basically set up the same kind of pedestal you would find at a campground. We use our 5er year round as a place for guests to use and have privacy and also when the grandkids come. It is wonderful that we can dump when we need and don't have to move the camper.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #50

[QUOTE=Stormrider151;1209800]I'm wondering if it's illegal based on the fact that sewage charges are based on water consumption. /QUOTE]

Bingo!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #51
Mod free 5er

That's what's nice about living out in the county, you can just dump the tanks out in the woods so it mixes with all the wild animal droppings.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #52

[QUOTE=gmacklem;1212226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I'm wondering if it's illegal based on the fact that sewage charges are based on water consumption. /QUOTE]

Bingo!
I guess I'd argue the point that I filled my tank prior to leaving, so it's already paid for.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #53

[QUOTE=emtp82;1212608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post

I guess I'd argue the point that I filled my tank prior to leaving, so it's already paid for.
Now you're letting LOGIC get in the way of a good gov't argument!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote