Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Honda 2000i for $500 Scam

Searching the web for a good deal on a Honda generator, I came across "overstockcloseoutdeals.com". (Don't confuse it with "overstock.com which I understand is a good company) Overstockcloseoutdeals.com was showing a Honda 2000i on their website at a close out price of $500. I tried to order it and received an e mail from someone at the site that told me I had to pay for it with a Greencard which I could purchase at a number of national retailers. I went to one of those stores & they only take cash for that card. It was late in the day & I decided to wait til morning. That night I e mailed the person at the website asking if they would take a visa. They e mailed back & said...not on your first purchase. Hmmmm.

The next morning I was all ready to go out to buy the Greencard when a knowledgable RV..r cautioned me. I started searching the web and at first could not find anything about the company. Finally on page 5 of the search, I found reports from 2 different buyers that had been scammed, sent the Greencard and never got the product they paid for. One of them paid the $500 for the Honda and never got it. He reported it to a BBB and interestingly the BBB came back with a Can't locate the company report. It does not exist. Amazingly their website had a AAA+ Better Business Bureau rating symbol on it.

It seems like they advertise on Craig's list in small town locations, get the money and close down or relocate the website along with the responders e mail address.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Good catch!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Always Learning

What's the old saying? If it seems too good to be true...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
DDC

If it looks too good to be true it probably is, my mom told me that about 55 years ago!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Good catch indeed. When searching for the best price on a Yamaha 3000is generator I came across this: Selling Cheap Yamaha EF3000iS - 2800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator

At first it looks great, but really? They are in Jarkata and I wasn't going to risk that at all.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote