Old 07-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Honda 2200 smokes at startup

Like the title says, this genny blows a cloud of blue smoke (burning oil) at startup. I bought it a couple of months ago (new) and it probably has 20 easy hrs on it. I don't remember it smoking when I first got it. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Oil has been changed once at about 4-5hrs (10W40) and is at the correct level.

Looks like back to the dealer it goes unless this is normal for a Honda.

latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Like the title says, this genny blows a cloud of blue smoke (burning oil) at startup. I bought it a couple of months ago (new) and it probably has 20 easy hrs on it. I don't remember it smoking when I first got it. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Oil has been changed once at about 4-5hrs (10W40) and is at the correct level.

Looks like back to the dealer it goes unless this is normal for a Honda.
Not normal.
Hondas are usually pretty bulletproof but anything can be bad now and then.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

10-40w is a little thick for it. I would run 5-30 or 10-30 like manual says

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

What kind of gas are you using? Many small engines will leak at the needle/seat and make a little smoke. Does it start easy? Might eliminate fuel. How long does it have to sit before smoking?
If you suspect a little pookie in the carb...get a bottle of Seafoam and add to gas and run for an hour or two. It might not fix it, but it might and it wonít hurt it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

The only time mine have smoked was when I had too much oil in them.
You also say you changed the oil. I'm with the other poster, change the oil again with the correct oil and ensure there is not too much. Make sure it's level and remove oil plug/dipstick. If any comes out, it's too full.
If it still smokes, then perhaps you got a bad one and the dealer will help you warrantee it.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
10-40w is a little thick for it. I would run 5-30 or 10-30 like manual says
edit that, after looking at the bottle, it was 10-30 that was used. thx
Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
What kind of gas are you using? Many small engines will leak at the needle/seat and make a little smoke. Does it start easy? Might eliminate fuel. How long does it have to sit before smoking?
If you suspect a little pookie in the carb...get a bottle of Seafoam and add to gas and run for an hour or two. It might not fix it, but it might and it wonít hurt it.
Starts first pull every time, seems like I get more smoke the longer it sits and I run 87 10% corn because I'm too lazy to try and find pure gas. thx
Old 07-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The only time mine have smoked was when I had too much oil in them.
You also say you changed the oil. I'm with the other poster, change the oil again with the correct oil and ensure there is not too much. Make sure it's level and remove oil plug/dipstick. If any comes out, it's too full.
If it still smokes, then perhaps you got a bad one and the dealer will help you warrantee it.
yeah, oil level is right, sits right on the plug threads, no spillage. Talked to the dealer and he told me to shut it down with eco off and see if that helps?? thx
Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

I have two Honda 2200's that have between 11 & 12 hours on each, smoking on start is not normal. I do not understand how taking the unit out of eco mode prior to shut down would help with anything. I would take it into a certified Honda repair shop for repair if still under warranty and not accept the unit back unless they prove to you that it is not smoking when they start it. The only way I know that oil can get onto the piston on a four cycle engine is either by a cracked oil ring or through a valve seal.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Starts first pull every time, seems like I get more smoke the longer it sits and I run 87 10% corn because I'm too lazy to try and find pure gas. thx
Hmm sounds like valve guide wear. The longer it sits the more oil can work its way back down. Then when you start it that oil gets burnt off. Hence blue smoke on start.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I have two Honda 2200's that have between 11 & 12 hours on each, smoking on start is not normal. I do not understand how taking the unit out of eco mode prior to shut down would help with anything. I would take it into a certified Honda repair shop for repair if still under warranty and not accept the unit back unless they prove to you that it is not smoking when they start it. The only way I know that oil can get onto the piston on a four cycle engine is either by a cracked oil ring or through a valve seal.

Thatís why I suspect fuel issue.

I know nothing of Honda engines, but they are engines.

Most new junk has a fuel solenoid of some sort and these can leak. Fuel evaporated and leaves the oily residue. Restart and get the smoke.

As I stated. Get some seafoam mix 2-3 oz per gallon of gas and run for an hour or two. For less than $10 it may save the trip to the dealer. Use the rest in your other gas or Diesel engines. Funny thing is...if it fixes it you will be a customer for life as well as all you help.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #12

I have a 6 year old Generac that doesn't do that.
Be aggressive in getting this addressed.

The engine should not:
a) leak fuel from the carb when shut off. In fact, the on/off switch very likely turns of the fuel as well as disabling spark. But turning off the fuel supply is a kluge for a leaky float valve....that should NOT leak.
b) leak ANY oil anywhere under any circumstances. I have a 1998 Honda Foreman 400 ATV, and there is zero smoke when started, no oil leaks, nothing.

Any number of things could be wrong, but your new Honda generator should not require any special tricks or work-arounds to run flawlessly. Dump it with the dealer and ask for a loaner so you can camp. Let the dealer fix it to your satisfaction or take it back as a lemon. Honda makes the very best, but even Honda screws up once in a while.

My hunch...for what it's worth...is that oil is leaking past a valve guide. If that's the case, it won't get better as the valve guide wears. Many small European and Japanese car engines have had this problem over the years and been subject to recall as a result. (Hondas and VWs in the '70's were notoriously bad for this.) In this case, a manufacturing defect in a single valve guide is all it would take to cause this problem.

This is a big investment at a premium price. (Harbor Freight's Predator is rated at nearly equal to the Honda for $450.) You deserve to get what you paid for....the best with no excuses.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #13

Iwannacamp, Honda 2200i generators have four cycle engines, that means that the oil & gas are not mixed, you mix oil with the fuel in a two cycle engine. After shutting a four cycle engine down, there is no oil residue to be left behind as the fuel evaporates. Not only that, on a Honda 2200 on shut down, you first turn the valve to shut fuel off and engine continues to run until all fuel remaining in the carb & lines are burned up. New feature on the 2200's to prevent gumming up the carb with standing gasoline.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post

This is one of the ways oil can get into the combustion chamber. It could also be that when the piston was installed, the ring end gaps all lined up (or are very close to being so), and this will allow oil to "get past the rings". The reason you didn't notice it earlier in its' life is maybe over time the rings rotated closer to alignment and now oil is getting by. If anything, it might have smoked when new until the rings became seated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Hmm sounds like valve guide wear. The longer it sits the more oil can work its way back down. Then when you start it that oil gets burnt off. Hence blue smoke on start.

Unless the engine was starved for oil, this shouldn't be an issue in an engine this new unless it (valve or guide if equipped) was not installed/reamed correctly initially.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

A footnote for future reference:

Pump gas (as was mentioned) is not great for small engines. The alcohol is a problem.

FORTUNATELY, Sta-Bil or, perhaps, similar alternatives, does wonders to make "regular" grade pump gas palatable to small engines.
I have a Troy Bilt snowblower I bought in about 2006 that starts on the first pull, no exaggeration. I have 2009 Stihl gas professional string trimmer (2-stroke) that is on its factory plug and runs perfectly. Same with my Poulan chain saw...also bought in 2009 and run only about 6 to 8 hours total during that time. My 6 year old Generac inverter generator starts on the second pull...also on the factory plug.

All run on regular grade pump gas laced with about a "double dose" of Sta-Bil.
Sometimes that gas sits in the cans for nearly a year before I use it.

I know this thread is about abnormal oil burning, but I thought I'd mention the value of "high-dose" Sta-Bil in the fuel to prevent all issues with pump gas. Consumer Reports also recommends Sta-Bil or similar fuel additives to help protect small engines from the issues related to unleaded, alcohol-laced pump gas.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 PM   #16

I do not run the gasoline with 10% alcohol in it in any of my small gas engines such as outboard motor, lawn tractors or the Honda generators. What I do run is alcohol free gasoline that I buy locally. Not sure if this type of gasoline is available nation wide, but it is available here in Southwest Louisiana. Refinery is two miles down the road.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Thatís why I suspect fuel issue.

I know nothing of Honda engines, but they are engines.

Most new junk has a fuel solenoid of some sort and these can leak. Fuel evaporated and leaves the oily residue. Restart and get the smoke.

As I stated. Get some seafoam mix 2-3 oz per gallon of gas and run for an hour or two. For less than $10 it may save the trip to the dealer. Use the rest in your other gas or Diesel engines. Funny thing is...if it fixes it you will be a customer for life as well as all you help.
I'm a big fan of seafoam and use it regularly, but I just don't think that will correct this only because I can let the genny sit for 24 hrs and still get smoke on start up, not enough time for the carb to dry out. thx
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I have a 6 year old Generac that doesn't do that.
Be aggressive in getting this addressed.

The engine should not:
a) leak fuel from the carb when shut off. In fact, the on/off switch very likely turns of the fuel as well as disabling spark. But turning off the fuel supply is a kluge for a leaky float valve....that should NOT leak.
b) leak ANY oil anywhere under any circumstances. I have a 1998 Honda Foreman 400 ATV, and there is zero smoke when started, no oil leaks, nothing.

Any number of things could be wrong, but your new Honda generator should not require any special tricks or work-arounds to run flawlessly. Dump it with the dealer and ask for a loaner so you can camp. Let the dealer fix it to your satisfaction or take it back as a lemon. Honda makes the very best, but even Honda screws up once in a while.

My hunch...for what it's worth...is that oil is leaking past a valve guide. If that's the case, it won't get better as the valve guide wears. Many small European and Japanese car engines have had this problem over the years and been subject to recall as a result. (Hondas and VWs in the '70's were notoriously bad for this.) In this case, a manufacturing defect in a single valve guide is all it would take to cause this problem.

This is a big investment at a premium price. (Harbor Freight's Predator is rated at nearly equal to the Honda for $450.) You deserve to get what you paid for....the best with no excuses.
You're right, too much money for me to have to watch this thing smoke. I have a Subaru 3200 with 1k hrs on it and not once has it smoked. thx
Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #19

I'm taking it to the dealer, I'll let ya know what they find. thx