Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #41

I have to disagree with this post ! Not Honda vs everything else but the statement that this thread was not designed to create controversy !
Buy what you can afford and are comfortable with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	119960  
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Wait till next year...

C'mon guys the OP was commenting on a human condition and he hit it out of the park. Congrats fella10, you've got 4 pages that confirm your thought. So can we move on to Trimetric vs. Victor vs voltage meter or Sunseeker vs. Forester vs Minnie Winnie or Patriots vs anybody
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #43
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
I have to disagree with this post ! Not Honda vs everything else but the statement that this thread was not designed to create controversy !
X 2!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #44

Honda vs Everything Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
They are the least loudest, most reliable and best seller for a reason.

I haven't done the research, but it would be hard for me to believe that they are the "best seller".

I own a honda 3000. I love it. I would never have bought it for full price. I bought mine brand new for the same price as allot of construction generators. I love it, but wouldn't pay full price for it with the competitors that are out there.

I had a champion 3k (not an inverter). I loved it too. Apparently someone else did as they swiped it from the tongue of my race car trailer. It started on the first pull. Was reasonably quite for the $199 I paid. Powered what I needed to power, and parts were readily available when I did need one.

Honda and Yamaha are great. But this Honda owner would never pay what they are asking for one.

Oh yeah. No Levi's for me. They are too hard to find in new condition. I can only ever find them with holes in them or in the boy band editions. I'm down with the Brett Favre Walmart wranglers when I wear jeans.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #45

Any inverter generator with a Robin/Subaru engine is the best bet. Take it from the Amish.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
When I bought my Honda 2000 I was driving a 2001 Ford F1 Bucket 'O Rust so I was clearly not out to impress anyone with my material goods. I took the recommendations of fellow campers and personal impressions of the noise levels of various brands. There were not the available choices you see today. If someone spots my Honda and thinks I'm putting on airs - they are the ones with a problem, not me.

Honda owner here.... But if I am camping somewhere that I need a generator then honestly I don't care about the noise level. If you are my neighbor with a loud generator, I'll offer for you to plug into mine or I'll deal with it. Setting db limits on generators is like setting age restrictions on RVs. I'll have none of that, as we are all there for the same reason... To drink beer and have fun. Right?

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #47

Seems to me the topic was Honda Generators, not bikes. We are a family with great history and success with Honda products, including camping generators, motorcycles, and about 15 cars. There isn't a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle made today that can out perform a 600cc Honda road bike. That said, it depends on what values you attach to the purchases you decide to make. Honda generators are expensive, but they are quiet and durable. Ours has been with us for more than fifteen years, with no need for an engine rebuild. I may replace it some day when my wife and I decide that we really need air conditioning when dry camping.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #48
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
My take on that is the people with that kind of an attitude need to in some way justify the reason why they spent so much more money than was necessary for a good generator.
X 2 and a Boliy lover. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 and a Boliy lover. Later RJD
What are you doing up this late???
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #50

Some friends of mine own Honda generators. They work well and are quiet.the main reason I bought a champion was talking to tech support before purchase.that is what sold me. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
There's no doubt in my military mind that the sole purpose of this post was to stir the pot.

But I will weigh in on the jeans. Kirkland for $12.99.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Makes about as much sense as either of your posts. I've read lots of posts where other brand owners condemn Honda owners for being extravagant spenders. Any time you stereotype anybody you are going to cause push back which I believe was your original intent.

Oh, and where I'm from (farm/ranch) everybody wears wranglers. Only city folks wore Levi's......��

Well it does look like this thread has grown a lot since I was here last and I can see by several posts that my honesty and integrity is called into question by people I don't know and who don't know me, I said this was NOT intended to start an argument, I didn't lie about that, .... I really thought it might lead to some posts from old timers like myself about other fond memories of those years, like "Ginger or MaryAnn", paisley shirts with loops on the back, ect., but it didn't go in that direction so now it is where it is,.....oh, WMWildcat, before I forget, I do want to say, we may disagree on the generator subject, but it looks like we're in total agreement on pants,... as a kid we wore what ever "dungarees" our parents got for us, when I started buying my own clothes, its been Wranglers ever since.... love em, wouldn't leave home without em, ...... it does look like this may have hit a nerve with some folks, this thread wasn't intended to throw a rock, but if it's been taken that way, then what comes to mind is something my dad used to say, "on the farm, when you throw a rock into the pig pen, the ones you hit will squeal the loudest".........it's late here so yall have a good night.......................

ps:..... I had to come back and add this, maybe my fault was the title,... maybe if I had used "Levi's vs everything else" for the title, even with the same original post, it might have taken off in a different direction, ... oh well, I'll try to do better next time,.......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #53

In my few post about generators, I never talked down Honda or Yamaha gens as they are great units, perhaps the best. My statements were that I could buy three Champions of the same size for the same price as one Honda. Yep, three at $295 each and none of those that I own have caused me a moment of problems even after not being used for several months at a time. I just have trouble understanding why someone would spend so much money for something that can be replaced by a unit of the same ability for so much less. I'm just not name brand conscience. I don't care if it is made by Mattel if it works.
I've owned Honda bikes all my life from a Super 90 to three Goldwings and love the brand.
Guess it just doesn't take much to make me happy.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #54

I know this is an RV site but I'll add this just for fun b/c I'm retired and on a 5 month trip and gave the time to chew the fat. I also cut my teeth on a Honda 50, Sport 90 and a couple others in the 60's and 70's. A few years back years a dozen of us road from South Florida to Alaska. Eleven Gold Wings one two year old Harley. The Harley blew a gasket and we left him in Fairbanks until the Harley dealer could fly in a replacement. I've ridden a Harleys and they are pretty. Just trust the reliability on my Honda.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #55

I really don’t care what brand of generator anyone buys, why would I? I view Honda and Yamaha as pretty much equal…. Equal in price, too, both are very good. I bought a Honda 3000, not because I needed the “Honda”, but because they are a well-designed and proven product. I also looked at all of the inverter generators out there and dismissed them for one reason or another, but that was MY decision, and not made for appearance sake. The closest I came to a less expensive alternative was the Champion. I wanted the unit to be big enough to power my AC, have electric start and be able to run through an extended night with enough fuel to power my coffee maker in the morning. The Honda did all of these things and a bit quieter than the competition. The thing that made me wary of the Champion line, was the perceived notion that parts might be difficult to get if a problem were to happen after warranty. I’m pretty sure the Honda will be the last generator that I buy, even if it needs rebuilt down the road, as parts will likely be available for a very long time. YMMV…. Have fun!
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #56

After having a couple of open frame noisemakers that always had problems I was looking more for support after the sale than anything else. I chose the Honda 2000 duo because there are eight authorized service shops within a 30 mile radius of my home. Hopefully I won't need them.

Other reasons included the light weight. We have a new Champion 3100 unit for powering the LQ horse trailer but it is permanently stowed in the pickup bed. Great unit and I'd highly recommend it....just a little too heavy for me.

Another plus for the Honda was the "plug and play" B.E.R.G. extended run fuel tank. It gives the duo over 30 hours run time and I don't have to shut the generators down to refuel. I just used them for over 190 hours of continuous operation. Changing the oil after that was a 20 minute task.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #57

Wow I have had a few laughs reading this post. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and I do a lot of dry camping on our property in McCall Idaho and need to and produce electricity via a putt-putt (s). I like a lot of people, could care less what gen you own....I bought my pair of EU2000's for a few simple reasons. I could manhandle them, at that time they were only one that you could link, they were quieter than my old one, at 5000 feet one would run my wife's hair dryer, the nuker and electric coffee pot at the same time....when swmbo is happy so am I. (what a run-on-sentence, sorry English professors)

As a side bar the first bike I ever rode was a Honda 50...man I am old.

Also I agree with sfsgm, Kirkland Jeans from Costco but I will also include Carhart jeans from Sierra Post. As a kid we also wore what ever was less expensive (S and R, JC Penny's, K-mart/S.S. Kresge). Dad died when I was 5 and Mom raised 6 of us by herself who could afford Levi's plus as kid you out grew jeans so fast that they were high water pants in a couple of months. Opps that was the style back then along with a pack of Lucky Strikes (lsmft) rolled up in you T shirt.

Every one, hope you had a great summer....is it April yet?

2016 -- 35 days in our Apex 215 RBK so far.
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Simpson View Post
Any inverter generator with a Robin/Subaru engine is the best bet. Take it from the Amish.
Hey don't knock those HF motors. I have an eight year old 8 HP for something I use about two or three starts a month, in cold morning weather and it usually starts on second pull. First when it was new. I Really good ChiCom knock off of a $900 Honda and I paid $299 less the 20 percent coupon with a smile from ear to ear.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #59

[QUOTE=BobandAnitaK;1315522]Wow I have had a few laughs reading this post. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and I do a lot of dry camping on our property in McCall Idaho and need to and produce electricity via a putt-putt (s). I like a lot of people, could care less what gen you own....I bought my pair of EU2000's for a few simple reasons. I could manhandle them, at that time they were only one that you could link, they were quieter than my old one, at 5000 feet one would run my wife's hair dryer, the nuker and electric coffee pot at the same time....when swmbo is happy so am I. (what a run-on-sentence, sorry English professors)

As a side bar the first bike I ever rode was a Honda 50...man I am old.

Also I agree with sfsgm, Kirkland Jeans from Costco but I will also include Carhart jeans from Sierra Post. As a kid we also wore what ever was less expensive (S and R, JC Penny's, K-mart/S.S. Kresge). Dad died when I was 5 and Mom raised 6 of us by herself who could afford Levi's plus as kid you out grew jeans so fast that they were high water pants in a couple of months. Opps that was the style back then along with a pack of Lucky Strikes (lsmft) rolled up in you T shirt.

Every one, hope you had a great summer....is it April yet?

2016 -- 35 days in our Apex 215 RBK so far.[/QUOTE

FOR THE RECORD

As a kid all my clothes came from Sears too. My first bike
Was a Honda 55 in 1963, my second a H 90 in 64 and all my RV gens have been Onan, but if I didn't have those on board it would be the Honda or the Cheapest Inverter Gen I could get with a HF 20 % coupon. Never sure til I reach for my wallet.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #60
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well for all you Honda lovers I got a heck of a lot better gen for half the price and can run a 15000btu ac and it only weighs 70# and yes db is the same as the Honda and with the extended run time of 30hrs it sure beets the Honda and all other gens on the market. Oh and it's called a Boliy Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote