Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #21
I think one problem is some hitches you hitch with the jaws open some hitches with the jaws closed. On my Reese hitch you connect with the jaws closed and not locked. You would really have to bang the hitch to close the jaws on my hitch if they were open when you started.

From the manual
With handle in the unlocked position (See Fig. 11), back truck slowly into trailer. As the trailer king pin enters the hitch it will push the hitch jaws open and extend the handle (See Fig. 12). As king pin completely enters head, jaws will spring closed around king pin and the jaws will return to the closed position and king pin indicator will extend out from the head assembly (See Fig. 13).

Bottom line... read the instructions that came with your hitch, they could have a different procedure then your last hitch

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
I back into mine soft enough the jaws have never latched on their own. I latch and lock and visually look at the jaws before plugging in and hooking up the breakaway cable.

On a big truck you have air bags dumps that lower the fifth wheel and the trailer brake are set until you release them. What he did will show up in the front jacks. They can easily be damaged on 18 wheelers. Sounds like he watched to ice road truckers. You got to see an idiot in live action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #23
Please beware, some hitches you are to leave closed and when you back in it will open and then close around the pin. Also I don't let the pin get to high. I leave it a little lower then the plate so that the pin doesn't ride over the plate.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
Most of the time, I slide it right into place, sometimes I misjudge and it bangs a little.

Unhooking the 5'er is not consistent for me, yet, but getting better.

I use one of those white teflon discs between the pin and the hitch. Was told I do not have to grease the wheel, but I do keep everything else lubricated.

Trip number 4 is next Thursday to Joseph, Oregon.
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #25
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
I have done the same thing once. I couldn't get the hitch to lock. Pulled out and hit it hard. BAM!. Wife came out and asked what the "H" I was doing. As I walked around the truck I looked at the hitch,forgot to release the handle.
Wife was POd and I knocked the tv off the shelve in the front room. Little dog was scared to death.

Needless to say,I haven't made that mistake again. I did have a problem a couple of weeks ago when It wouldn't latch again.I too always have the pin lower than the hitch.This time a little to low.My lube plate caught and was holding the latch open. Broke the lube plate and have to buy another one.
I've done that once too.. forgot to pull the damn handle... and yes it has only happened that one time. I actually thought I was locked in and got out to see nope...

I saw one guy with a old beat up RAM do the same thing.. My wife has this look of disbelief with how fast he went and slammed the damn thing in. It was sooo loud.
2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
Who Dares, Wins
Oh yeah.. It was fast!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #27
Or perhaps the idiot in the RAMPED truck had a slide bar fifth wheel hitch and the handle was still closed/locked. It would test the structural integrity of any pin box.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
This is why I like my B&W, lower pin about a 1/2" or so to the hitch. Open the jaws, slowly back up and the pin rides up and the handle clunks shut. Put in safety pin, raise gear, connect umbilical cord and off we go.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I drove trucks through the 90's...never saw or heard of behavior like the OP described. I wonder if his hitch needs to be serviced or replaced.

One thing I have always done while hitching is to hook the electrical connection before backing completely under the pin. I do this so that I can pull the trailers brakes (with the manual control on brake controller) while backing under the pin. I've never really felt the landing gear on these RV's is heavy duty enough and this method gives me a little more of that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I'm playing with fire with this comment, but (IMHO) if he had Roto-Chocks instead of X-Chocks, he wouldn't have broken one...even with his aggressive methods.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
This is why I like my B&W, lower pin about a 1/2" or so to the hitch. Open the jaws, slowly back up and the pin rides up and the handle clunks shut. Put in safety pin, raise gear, connect umbilical cord and off we go.
While fueling an RV transporter was fueling in the next lane. He came over and said he noticed my hitch was locked, not just pinned. I told him the lock came with it when the rig was purchased at CW in Myrtle Beach. He said he bought a lock and a spare a few months ago as once in a while he may forget to look at the hitch after a meal, bathroom break, or when in a hurry to get on the road in the AM. He said over the past year he has heard of 3 pins pulled on TTs and levers being pulled on two 5ers. Some people think it funny to have a rig drop.

2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote