Michelle Evans
Katy, TX
2011 Carriage Cabo 341
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it!

2015 Ram 3500 CC SRW SB 6.7 Diesel Powered Baby!
2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7

2015 Nights Camped: 23
2016 Nights Camped: 19
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
I would look into renting a camping cabin for the kids, also if my kid was going I would take her to sporting goods and get her an artic sleeping bag. I am not sure but a heater in the tent might be dangerous, I would rent a camper or cabin for the night, I bet you are not going to keep them warm otherwise.
2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #14
if you're looking at camping next weekend in the north east state of maine. DON'T!
Weather predictions are over 200 mm of rain from this Hurricane MATTHEW storm coming up the sea board.
I remember camping in the white mountains in NH and waking up in a 4 inch deep puddle - our kids air mattresses were floating in the tent.
we had to move to the car which was a HYUNDAI Pony.
2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
I would use a small ceramic heater in the tents I have used them for years when I was tent camping without any problems.
redcloud1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #16
Haven't slept in a tent where it was really cold in a long time(Idaho 1979) Wish i had of known about all these great suggestions. Great work folks.
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Googled this subject and found:
When it comes to wrapping up on a cold winter's day, a cosy hat is obligatory. After all, most of our body heat is lost through our heads – or so we are led to believe.
Closer inspection of heat loss in the hatless, however, reveals the claim to be nonsense, say scientists who have dispelled this and five other modern myths.
They traced the origins of the hat-wearing advice back to a US army survival manual from 1970 which strongly recommended covering the head when it is cold, since "40 to 45 percent of body heat" is lost from the head.
Rachel Vreeman and Aaron Carroll, at the centre for health policy at Indiana University in Indianapolis, rubbish the claim in the British Medical Journal this week. If this were true, they say, humans would be just as cold if they went without a hat as if they went without trousers. "Patently, this is just not the case," they write.
The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads.
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #18
tents for the girls

Have you given a thought of renting a cabin for the night. If your campground has cabins sometimes they only coat $60 to $70 a night. This would eliminate any concern from a safety standpoint.
flagstaffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
Harvard health letter.
" As a result, even if the rest of your body is nicely wrapped up, if your head is uncovered you'll lose lots of body heat — potentially up to 50% of it — in certain cold-weather conditions. What's more, a cold head can trigger blood vessel constriction in the other parts of the body, so it can make your hands and feet feel cold even if you are wearing mittens and warm socks and shoes.

The solution, of course, is a hat and, if it's really cold and you want to really stay warm, maybe one of those face-covering balaclavas (check out our website for more information about balaclavas). Wool is a good insulating fabric because it traps air, but not if it gets wet. These days, warm hats are made of polyester fleece that repels water. Some of the warmest have some protection against the wind around the ears but allow moisture to evaporate through the crown"
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #20
Though tent camping days for my family and me are long over this question resulted in some very goodd responses. Love this forum.

lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote