Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater in Salem 27BHBS

So first I have to say this is a great site and forum. I have been here multiple times to find answers to minor questions I have had. New to having a travel trailer 2 years ago and everyone on here has been a life saver and questions usually already have been asked. But I do have one now that i need to ask.

My Travel Trailer is currently about 90 minutes away. I took a trip there today cause I am having issues with my hot water heater. Seems the inside cracked and now it is rusting. With that being said I went and got the model number and I swear it said SW6DE which is showing as an LP and Electric. I don't remember seeing a switch outside for the electric nor have I ever used any switch except for the one inside. I want to order a new one this week so when I go down next weekend I can switch it out(I have someone else going to help me.) It seems like looking up on the internet the Salem 27BHBS all had electric and some had the LP option. Is this correct? Can anyone help me confirm or should I just wait till I go next week and order it for the following week?

I appreciate any help.
jld341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #2

If it was a SW6DE......it is electric and propane, Did you ever turn the little black switch on the lower left corner inside the compartment?? The one inside should be just LP unless marked differently.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Call your dealer with your vin see if they can track down what wh you have.
My bill of sale had all the options listed on it
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

If it is indeed (Cracked & Leaking) replacement is the only cure! Your W/H is G&E. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld341 View Post
So first I have to say this is a great site and forum. I have been here multiple times to find answers to minor questions I have had. New to having a travel trailer 2 years ago and everyone on here has been a life saver and questions usually already have been asked. But I do have one now that i need to ask.

My Travel Trailer is currently about 90 minutes away. I took a trip there today cause I am having issues with my hot water heater. Seems the inside cracked and now it is rusting. With that being said I went and got the model number and I swear it said SW6DE which is showing as an LP and Electric. I don't remember seeing a switch outside for the electric nor have I ever used any switch except for the one inside. I want to order a new one this week so when I go down next weekend I can switch it out(I have someone else going to help me.) It seems like looking up on the internet the Salem 27BHBS all had electric and some had the LP option. Is this correct? Can anyone help me confirm or should I just wait till I go next week and order it for the following week?

I appreciate any help.
The electric heating is the option not the propane heating (denoted by the "E" at the end of the model number). If you got the model number directly off the unit it has this option unless the factory installed the wrong ID plate.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

That was taken right off the plate. I never used the electric cause I never saw a switch. Looks like it is pretty hidden so maybe that is why... I do have two reset buttons, at the top I know I saw some pictures only have one. And I think I vaguely remember a black oval at the bottom which would be the element. I am only ever in the hot water heater area outside about 3 times a year. Plug it in the spring, drain it at end of season and usually rinse it once in the middle.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
That was taken right off the plate. I never used the electric cause I never saw a switch. Looks like it is pretty hidden so maybe that is why... I do have two reset buttons, at the top I know I saw some pictures only have one. And I think I vaguely remember a black oval at the bottom which would be the element. I am only ever in the hot water heater area outside about 3 times a year. Plug it in the spring, drain it at end of season and usually rinse it once in the middle.

Thanks for all the help.
The switch is just to the left of that black oval. Good luck.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Switch location
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #9

I have the same trailer and hot water heater. It is LP only.
PShroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Soooooooo back to the "crack" was this because it wasn't winterized and left full of water?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

I am going to hope for the best and order the one with the electric also since I took the SW6DE right off the plate. The more I think, I guess, it wouldn't hurt anything if it is DE and I just have propane if I just don't hook up the electric... Cause then it would just be propane.

To answer the question... BACK to the crack.... Last year, I am in a camp ground in Jersey, it stays there seasonal. So the people there were helping me I have known them all for years. One of them said he would switch on the hot water heater so he put the rod and cap back in and turned on propane and switched it on. I questioned if he unbypassed it and he said yes. About 30 minutes later he came running over going oh I forgot to un bypass it... He just went and opened up the cold water... HOT HOT water heater tank + Cold Water = Crack...

Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I am going to hope for the best and order the one with the electric also since I took the SW6DE right off the plate. The more I think, I guess, it wouldn't hurt anything if it is DE and I just have propane if I just don't hook up the electric... Cause then it would just be propane.

To answer the question... BACK to the crack.... Last year, I am in a camp ground in Jersey, it stays there seasonal. So the people there were helping me I have known them all for years. One of them said he would switch on the hot water heater so he put the rod and cap back in and turned on propane and switched it on. I questioned if he unbypassed it and he said yes. About 30 minutes later he came running over going oh I forgot to un bypass it... He just went and opened up the cold water... HOT HOT water heater tank + Cold Water = Crack...

Oh dear.
Great friend!

Tags
heater, hot water, salem, water, water heater