Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

House batteries to jump a "different" car

Odd question.

Before I run out and buy a charger I thought I would ask. I have a car that has been sitting for about 10 months and the battery is dead as dead gets (although only a few years old). It is next to my RV and I tried to jump it using the RV chassis battery. It took so long that I gave up as I didn't want to do that to the RV any longer.

The car is next to my RV steps and house batteries (under steps in sunseeker). Will I get any more direct jumping power from the house batteries WITHOUT harming them or the RV electrical system? I don't car about the car I am jumping as I will either scrap it or donate it. If I donate it they will pick it up, but I was going to try and get it running for them.

Thanks as I am clueless on electrical systems.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

If hooked up properly it should work without harming anything, however, the chassis battery is the better choice for starting as they usually have a higher cold cranking amps rating.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

After the house batteries are charged back up from your efforts, Disconnect gnd from car battery and jump Pos house bat to Pos car bat then Neg House bat to car frame or disconnected car gnd. Your house batteries were being drawn down by dead car bat.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Kind of thought the chassis was best but was reaching for a quick solution. Thanks. I might just have the donated company tow it away and be done. They will put it to good use.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Another thought - ethanol fuel tends to go bad quickly and can foul the fuel system in the car. If it cranks and won't start, that could be the problem.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Trying to crank off anything to a REALLY DEAD REALLY DEAD battery can be futile. I have had two really big over priced Robert Bosche five year replacement guaranteed batteries DIE in my Ford Explorer so dead that the big Double O gauge cables from the giant AUTO CLUB tow truck could not jump start it. Told it was a direct short inside the battery and no amount of cranking gave it back enough juice to even run the ignition system. MORAL OF STORY don't give up until you take the battery out and put s good one in its place. Besides that the house battery is deep cycle and may not have enough CCAs to do it.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #7

That's strange when your jump starting granted a bad battery will take some of the cranking amps but you are really by passing the battery and going right to the starter/ignition. You can always disconnect the battery and jump to the terminals only.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #8

Battery Charger/Maintainer

Bought the Pro-Logix (Solar) from Clore Automotive, to keep the TT battery maintained through the winter. The charger also saved a deeply discharged TT battery, that paid for the charger. Won't start a vehicle, but sure keeps all types of 6/12V batteries maintained.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
Kind of thought the chassis was best but was reaching for a quick solution. Thanks. I might just have the donated company tow it away and be done. They will put it to good use.
This is the best idea so far. Probably the safest.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
That's strange when your jump starting granted a bad battery will take some of the cranking amps but you are really by passing the battery and going right to the starter/ignition. You can always disconnect the battery and jump to the terminals only.
There is dead and then there is DEAD. My two experiences with Bosch High End battery in my everyday car has been DEAD SHORT INTERNALLY DEAD! Just saying that before he has the car towed to the junk yard maybe it would be worth a battery change out. Full replacement warranty and NUMBER 3 is holding up so so at two year of age, it just has outlasted the first two and the warranty has expired so I expect another DEAD DEAD any day now.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery