Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #1

How cold is too cold?

I'm wondering how cold is too cold to stay in a 5th wheeler? Am I crazy to think a week or so in below freezing (at nights) will be ok? I've heard some people do a ski trip, but most hibernate the rv.

Any thoughts from those who have done this before, and if they would do it again?
matcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

Did it many years ago in my old TT which wasn't the best insulated. Low temps were in the 20's and I used enough gas to keep the interior about 50-55. Worked fine for me.

My last trip in my new 5er, which is far better insulated, saw lows of about 40 and once again, I kept the interior about 55 or so. I wouldn't hesitate to go into the 20's or possibly even lower. I also have a heated belly for the tanks, R38 insulation, I'm perfectly happy in a cold room sitting under a blanket, etc.

It depends on the unit, how prepared it is, and how cold we're talking, but in general you should be fine. Keep an eye on your LP levels as you can go through that pretty quickly.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #3

I usually camped at a CG During Ski season... (Temps would get well below freezing reaching -14* a few times)..They offered full hookup.. Of course you had too take care of everything on your rig... What I did was Wrap a skirt around bottom to block wind and placed a few 60 watt bulbs underneath to keep things from freezing down there...Heat cable wrapped around fresh water supply line...I would have the local propane guy deliver a 100gal propane tank beginning of season...but really only used it for cooking.. Preferred to use a few oil filled radiant heaters..

Got to the point I could be up and running in less than 30minutes.. And winterize in about the same time... Did that for 3yrs never had an issue..and never had a cold night inside the camper..
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #4

Biggest problem will be the fresh water hose freezing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #5

I stay in mine 250 to 300 days each year. As stated above stop air flow under camper. Water hose can be heat taped or buy one that is a heated hose. If changing CG would get the 50' to be safe. Heat tape the water spigot and wrap in insulation.

It's 32 here this morning. Didn't have the hose plugged in and water wasn't frozen. Haven't skirted yet.

It's not that bad just be prepared and know what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Your other posts reflect that you are going to try a (2 month trip) starting in late March with (5) people in a (40ft 5wheel). Washer & dryer and some (Dry camping). Your concern is (Freezing) others have said to skirt your unit and place light bulbs,not going to happen on a (Driving Trip)! Your low point drains,outside shower,and other (LOW or Uninsulated) areas will freeze. For a (Better) family trip think about Warmer time of year for this part of the USA! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Keep a spare (drained/dry) freshwater hose ready. If your starting with a all season 5r then just a few adjustments is necessary..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Or al least a coouple of freshwater jugs.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

If your going to use during cold weather make sure and run a dehumidifier to keep moisture low. Windows will get condensation and walls may sweat from heat being on.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #10

We're in our 3rd year of full timing. We spend our winters in the North Texas area where temps sometimes get into the 20s and frequently freeze overnight. An overnight freeze in the 20s is no big deal--keep some warmth in your underbelly (I just turn the lights on), drip your faucets (using your fresh water tank & water pump if you are disconnected), and open cabinet doors to let warmth to your pipes. But temps in the 20s for a couple of days or more will likely cause some of your water lines to freeze. You'll have to wait for them to thaw and hope for no breaks.

We've never had any damage so far--just a day or two without water. Water tank heaters and wrapped pipes won't protect you in prolonged 20s. For reference, we've never had a skirt on our rig so I can't speak to how much that would help.

For winter camping & long hard freezes, I'd recommend you winterize your water system and use bottled water & campground restrooms.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #11

We spent last December in Boston (Bellingham, MA). Some mornings dipped to 12 degrees and a few down to 8. Had a Pirit heated hose for fresh water and put a freeze cap over the inlet. Kept the tank heaters on most of the time. Had ordered the trailer with thermo-pane windows because we knew we would be up north in the winter visiting our kids.

Supplemented heat with 2 1500W Quartz heaters: one in the living room and one in the bedroom, both set to half to prevent the circuit breaker from popping. Kept relatively warm. We also had a heated mattress pad. We went thru one tank of propane per week.

The only issue was the dump valves which kept on freezing as they are exposed. Used a heat gun set on low to defrost each morning. Not fun. Since then, I have installed heat pads on the dump valves. Hope this fixes this issue as we will be back up in MA for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
2013 F150 EcoBoost/Max Trailering Pkg.
Road Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

Depends on camper, but we have stayed in below freezing many times.....

Everyone has different opinion, but as with any camping it is how much you really want to do it, if not needed......we always take a few extra precautions, most of which you can do on your own real cheap....I would recommend wrapping low points or any exposed tubes with heat tape.....if you are traveling a lot on trip, just purge water lines when traveling.....I keep a small compressor(puts out low pressure) and just blew out lines before we left, it added about ten minutes to prep for leaving after draining hot water tank...if you are not using city water and using your tank, if it is exposed and not covered you can wrap it(done that before)...never had any issues....we tucked some added insulation into a few areas and around some areas that we were concerned with....you can buy or make your own vent blocks....maybe wrap windows......

mostly depends on much trouble you want to go thru.....

do recommend if you make or buy any winter items, dont throw away, get a cheap foot locker and store them...

good luck and enjoy

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Home View Post
We spent last December in Boston (Bellingham, MA). Some mornings dipped to 12 degrees and a few down to 8. ...
The only issue was the dump valves which kept on freezing as they are exposed. Used a heat gun set on low to defrost each morning. Not fun. Since then, I have installed heat pads on the dump valves.
So has your setup got R14 insulation (from latest specs)? As I was wondering how much this mattered, as some have R38.

I don't plan to stay in the cold for too long, so is good to know, if your prepared then it should be fine. I will be traveling through places where the weather could turn and don't want any nasty surprises.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawAdventurer View Post
Depends on camper, but we have stayed in below freezing many times.....

Everyone has different opinion, but as with any camping it is how much you really want to do it,
Thanks Outlaw and others for your comments, is helping a lot. I'm considering the Wildcat 312QBX - I like that its smaller/lighter. The Silverback 35QB4 or the dare I say here gateway 3650bh. Both have good layouts and insulation.

We are arriving in the US in Jan, from our summer, and hope to hit the road late Feb. I would have preferred to start in your summer, but I want to make the most of our time.

So what I'm hearing is if we wrap her up like a baby and take care. It should be a fun time.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #15

Full timing 3 years in Cincinnati. Had temps as low as -10 with no skirting. Heat tape and insulate your water line and include the park's valve and pipe all the way to the ground. Insulate your low point drains. Leave faucets dripping in extremely cold temps and skirting will be optional. Use a space heater instead of furnace and save propane. We keep around 65-70 with a 1500W forced air heater. This year is the first time I skirted ours and we are barely using the heater so far. Skirting for a 3 week trip wouldn't be worth the trouble.