Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Safety Alert. Burning a Propane heater inside the camper creates carbon monoxide. Unless a window and vent is open you could have a build up of CO and loose Oxygen for sustaining life.
Yes, I believe both of us who recommended this option said we crack a window. I think the directions that came with the Buddy heaters instruct that 6 square inches of ventilation is necessary to safely operate one indoors.

We also would turn our Buddy heater off right before we fell asleep for the night just to be safe. The furnace would still run a lot through the night, but at least the Buddy heater saved the battery during all our waking hours.

Another tip for those who cold weather camp with no shore power, use a battery cut off switch (or manually disconnect the battery) when you are out doing activities during the day. The TT will draw a significant amount of amp hours from your battery over the course of days just powering the converter, smoke and CO2 detectors. When you return to camp fire up the Buddy heater on high to heat the TT back up so the furnace doesn't have to do the work.
__________________

__________________
2012 Grey Wolf DBH

1999 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 5.4L 32v Intech
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Member
 
driftinby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
...if you want it, it's yours (short queen)
Wow, really? I think my wife would like that however, I'm not sure if ours is a short queen or regular. I'll know on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Yes, I believe both of us who recommended this option said we crack a window.
The only way to truly ensure your safety is to bar and lock yourself in your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Another tip for those who cold weather camp with no shore power, use a battery cut off switch (or manually disconnect the battery) when you are out doing activities during the day.
But when your gone and the smoke detector is off, how will you know when your coach is on fire?
__________________

__________________

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
yetavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: WNC
Posts: 423
Super bowl Sunday last year I awoke on a kayak river trip with the condensation turned to frost on the inside of my tent. It was 27 at 9 AM.
This Feb at a winter rally we stayed comfortable in our HTT when it dropped to 17 overnight. didn't dewinterize and used water from a jug. An small electric heater and propane....and no PUGs
__________________
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,475
One thing to remember is when it's below freezing your propane furnace is blowing heat to under belly if it is enclosed. If you rely on electric space heaters only, the underbelly won't get heated. We use our electric fireplace and propane heat with our fresh water tank for water.
__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
One thing to remember is when it's below freezing your propane furnace is blowing heat to under belly if it is enclosed. If you rely on electric space heaters only, the underbelly won't get heated. We use our electric fireplace and propane heat with our fresh water tank for water.
This is true and another reason not to run the buddy heaters while sleeping. Let the furnace do it's job overnight when it's coldest to keep the tanks from freezing. Again though, a tank with several gallons of water would take a long time to freeze even with no heat. It's the unprotected supply lines that are most vulnerable.
__________________
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,721
Quote:
The only way to truly ensure your safety is to bar and lock yourself in your home.
You can lock yourself in your home, but something could short out and set the house on fire while you're sleeping.

No, the only way to truly ensure your safety is to kill yourself NOW.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
This is true and another reason not to run the buddy heaters while sleeping. Let the furnace do it's job overnight when it's coldest to keep the tanks from freezing. Again though, a tank with several gallons of water would take a long time to freeze even with no heat. It's the unprotected supply lines that are most vulnerable.
Another thing you can do in cold over night cold weather with full hook ups is to let your water run. Open your gray water up and then let your water faucet open just a little bit to keep the lines from freezing.
__________________

__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.