Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 18
Wink How come trailer makers don't install generators?

I'm one of those people with a ton of questions... I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I have a toy hauler that I purchased solely because I want a built-in generator. I don't do much boondocking for long periods, but I go hither and yon and spend nights at Walmart's, Costco's, Sam's and Rest Areas. I want my generator so I can run my air or micro or ???
How hard would it be to put in a 5 or 10 gal gas tank and secure a generator to the trailer? I know it can be done as I said, I have a toy hauler with a built-in generator. I absolutely love not having to go outside to start it or stop it, nor do I have to pour gas in it.
Seems on the stupid side not to make them part of every trailer. Everyone one I speak with said they wished they had a generator for their trailer.

Be safe!
Gail
__________________

__________________
Stay safe and well!
K. Gail Tighe
RVing since 1984
CRA Member
kgailtighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 197
Conversely, I never camp without power. Why would I want the additional expense with a built in generator when it is something that I would never use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgailtighe View Post
I'm one of those people with a ton of questions... I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I have a toy hauler that I purchased solely because I want a built-in generator. I don't do much boondocking for long periods, but I go hither and yon and spend nights at Walmart's, Costco's, Sam's and Rest Areas. I want my generator so I can run my air or micro or ???
How hard would it be to put in a 5 or 10 gal gas tank and secure a generator to the trailer? I know it can be done as I said, I have a toy hauler with a built-in generator. I absolutely love not having to go outside to start it or stop it, nor do I have to pour gas in it.
Seems on the stupid side not to make them part of every trailer. Everyone one I speak with said they wished they had a generator for their trailer.

Be safe!
Gail
__________________

atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,329
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Good point Gail! Often thought that myself.


And run on Gas not propane. Lets hear some positive posts on what if this could be done!


Cheers to Positivity!

B
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Retired
 
MainelyUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sundeland, MA
Posts: 632
Palimino Columbus GENERATOR INSTALLED (INCLUDES GEN PREP) is an option. With that said if your TT is gen prep itís cheaper to buy a generator and stalling it yourself. Then you know itís done correctly.
Happy Trails
__________________
2017 Columbus 340RK
GMC Sierra 3500HD Z71 6.6L Duramax/Allison
MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,876
I agree that built in generators are definitely nice. One that ran on gas would even be better. Easier to put in gasoline system in a toy hauler as most have the tank anyway.
But I'm not willing to pay for it. For non THs, you would have to install another tank system, along with the generator. I've seen cost increases for a built in from 5k on up.
So I would say cost is the major reason all RVs don't come with built ins. Just a SWAG.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7
Not to pitch a non FR brand but Outdoors RV does have installed Generators on their Backcountry line. (It's more geared towards Boondockers/off-grid)
So it's definitely possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard_3.6K_LP_Cummins_Onan_On_Board_Generator.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	210592  
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Big Sky KLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 29
Great question

Most northwoods (arctic fox, nash, desert fox, etc) come with generators.

Oddly enough, a lot of truck campers, most class a and c motorhomes have them as well.

Even if they had a compartment that was vented and could plug in would be great. Use it for storage or a generator.

I guess it is a money thing, saving a few bucks on a 30k is worth it apparently
__________________
2019 Coachmen Clipper 21bh
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3
Big Sky KLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,131
Some do have generators.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 158
Whoís holding the proverbial gun to the head of these posters who want something that wasnít part of the package? Why buy it then?
__________________
We LOVE our country!
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,252
Well our silverback has one and it also has a custom 30ish gallon gas tank. We do use it at the house for the a/c. We dont have 50 amp installed yet.it was all installed by the original owner. The tank has custom supports out back and the lines are plumed up to the front. I will never have one with out. Its one of those things once you have it why do without. Especially in Florida.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Big Sky KLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Whoís holding the proverbial gun to the head of these posters who want something that wasnít part of the package? Why buy it then?
You are missing the point of the question. Nobody said it was a deal breaker, it is not a big enough deal to not buy a camper.

It is just one of those odd anomalies that nobody can seem to answer. It would be really easy to add as an option but only like 10% of travel trailers have them.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Clipper 21bh
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3
Big Sky KLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,876
Most toy haulers either come with built ins or are prepped for them. A lot of towables can be ordered with built ins or prepped, especially upper end models. But again, it's a huge cost difference, plus the weight considerations.
So if you want a towable with a built in generator, it's not hard to accomplish from the factory.
I bought my 2 Hondas for $1700 13 years ago and have used them with the last five RVs. Built ins cost $5k to $7k for each unit. I'm thinking I'm about $28k ahead at this point
But it would be nice to just flip a switch inside for power. Not that big a deal though for cheapskates like myself
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,590
on my SOB some other brand TH the generator option would have been 5 grand and with my already having 2 portable units 4500 Watt and 10000 Watt plus solar ready I saved the 5 to 6 grand US or almost 8.8 grand Canadian.
__________________
TV 2018 Ford F250, hauling a 2018 KZ 331 TH 12 Sportster 5th wheel, packing a 2015 CF MOTO 800 U-Force SXS
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,252
This is why i love my previously loved fiver. They spent the money not me. The dealership ship didn't realize it was there until the price was locked in. Win for me for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most toy haulers either come with built ins or are prepped for them. A lot of towables can be ordered with built ins or prepped, especially upper end models. But again, it's a huge cost difference, plus the weight considerations.
So if you want a towable with a built in generator, it's not hard to accomplish from the factory.
I bought my 2 Hondas for $1700 13 years ago and have used them with the last five RVs. Built ins cost $5k to $7k for each unit. I'm thinking I'm about $28k ahead at this point
But it would be nice to just flip a switch inside for power. Not that big a deal though for cheapskates like myself
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
Lacey's Spring, AL
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lacey's Spring, AL
Posts: 2,407
the vast, vast numbers of travel trailers sold in the u.s. never see the 'light' of any off-grid need for a generator - they go to a rv park or campground and 'plug in'.... most, or none, of those owners would want to pay the 'extra' for a generator they'll never need.
__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
2304DS Hasn't Room For a Genset

Our 2304DS has no place to store a genset, and I wish it did. I'm considering various places to put one (we tow with a van, so no truck bed), like a rack over the propane tanks, or installing a front-mounted tow hitch on our van.

Seems like a reasonable compromise would be for manufacturers to provide a compartment prepped for a genset, with start switch in the living area- the buyer could add a generator, or use the space for other storage.

IMHO, YMMV, etc...
Paul Dershem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Retired
 
MainelyUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sundeland, MA
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Palimino Columbus GENERATOR INSTALLED (INCLUDES GEN PREP) is an option. With that said if your TT is gen prep itís cheaper to buy a generator and stalling it yourself. Then you know itís done correctly.
Happy Trails
Followup to my original post:
My brother-in-law decided not to go the route of ordering a generator through the manufacture. Instead, he installed a Onan gen, added a diesel fuel tank behind the basement (code certified) and installed instrument panels inside the 5er. You might say 8000 kw is a bit over kill but when boondocking he can run both of our 5ers w/o problems...SWEET we don't run out of power and the gen doesn't use must fuel. As you can see by the hour meter they are harden boondockers. After seeing his setup I don't think I would order a generator from the manufacture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Gen.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	210645
Onan Gen
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Fuel Door.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	210646
Fuel Door
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Control Pan.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	210647
Instrument Panel
Happy Trails
__________________
2017 Columbus 340RK
GMC Sierra 3500HD Z71 6.6L Duramax/Allison
MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rlh1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,047
They do have them.
Some TT just like some Fifth Wheels have Generator Option. Some are prewired and gen prep ready, some have generator installed already. You can bet the price will be about $4500 to $6000 more with generator installed.
If you don't want or need a generator they will take it out if that model has one. They can easily resell a generator all day long and get top dollar for it.
__________________
2018 Forest River Rockwood Roo
24WS

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
rlh1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Followup to my original post:
My brother-in-law decided not to go the route of ordering a generator through the manufacture. Instead, he installed a Onan gen, added a diesel fuel tank behind the basement (code certified) and installed instrument panels inside the 5er. You might say 8000 kw is a bit over kill but when boondocking he can run both of our 5ers w/o problems...SWEET we don't run out of power and the gen doesn't use must fuel. As you can see by the hour meter they are harden boondockers. After seeing his setup I don't think I would order a generator from the manufacture.
Attachment 210645
Onan Gen
Attachment 210646
Fuel Door
Attachment 210647
Instrument Panel
Happy Trails
I like that! Generator buddy system for power!
__________________
2018 Forest River Rockwood Roo
24WS

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Carlyss, Louisiana
Posts: 405
Our Crusader Lite 5th wheel did not come with a generator, nor does it have a compartment to place one in. I purchase two Honda 2200i inverter generators, mounted both in a aluminum tool box and secured the box to the beefed up bumper on the back of 5th wheel. Generators are wired in parallel and provide me with 30 amp power to run our trailer. Both generators have a 0.95 gal. built in fuel tank and I added a 3 gal. auxiliary tank(outboard motor tank) suppling fuel to both generators. I have it set up so I can run the 15K air conditioner while I am towing the trailer. Complete cost is less than half of a factory installation, even when buying new generators.
__________________

Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


×