Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Wink How come trailer makers don't install generators?

I'm one of those people with a ton of questions... I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I have a toy hauler that I purchased solely because I want a built-in generator. I don't do much boondocking for long periods, but I go hither and yon and spend nights at Walmart's, Costco's, Sam's and Rest Areas. I want my generator so I can run my air or micro or ???
How hard would it be to put in a 5 or 10 gal gas tank and secure a generator to the trailer? I know it can be done as I said, I have a toy hauler with a built-in generator. I absolutely love not having to go outside to start it or stop it, nor do I have to pour gas in it.
Seems on the stupid side not to make them part of every trailer. Everyone one I speak with said they wished they had a generator for their trailer.

Be safe!
Gail
CRA Member
kgailtighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Conversely, I never camp without power. Why would I want the additional expense with a built in generator when it is something that I would never use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgailtighe View Post
I'm one of those people with a ton of questions... I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I have a toy hauler that I purchased solely because I want a built-in generator. I don't do much boondocking for long periods, but I go hither and yon and spend nights at Walmart's, Costco's, Sam's and Rest Areas. I want my generator so I can run my air or micro or ???
How hard would it be to put in a 5 or 10 gal gas tank and secure a generator to the trailer? I know it can be done as I said, I have a toy hauler with a built-in generator. I absolutely love not having to go outside to start it or stop it, nor do I have to pour gas in it.
Seems on the stupid side not to make them part of every trailer. Everyone one I speak with said they wished they had a generator for their trailer.

Be safe!
Gail
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Good point Gail! Often thought that myself.

And run on Gas not propane. Lets hear some positive posts on what if this could be done!

Cheers to Positivity!

B
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Retired

Palimino Columbus GENERATOR INSTALLED (INCLUDES GEN PREP) is an option. With that said if your TT is gen prep it’s cheaper to buy a generator and stalling it yourself. Then you know it’s done correctly.
Happy Trails
Old 07-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

I agree that built in generators are definitely nice. One that ran on gas would even be better. Easier to put in gasoline system in a toy hauler as most have the tank anyway.
But I'm not willing to pay for it. For non THs, you would have to install another tank system, along with the generator. I've seen cost increases for a built in from 5k on up.
So I would say cost is the major reason all RVs don't come with built ins. Just a SWAG.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

Not to pitch a non FR brand but Outdoors RV does have installed Generators on their Backcountry line. (It's more geared towards Boondockers/off-grid)
So it's definitely possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard_3.6K_LP_Cummins_Onan_On_Board_Generator.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	210592  
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

Great question

Most northwoods (arctic fox, nash, desert fox, etc) come with generators.

Oddly enough, a lot of truck campers, most class a and c motorhomes have them as well.

Even if they had a compartment that was vented and could plug in would be great. Use it for storage or a generator.

I guess it is a money thing, saving a few bucks on a 30k is worth it apparently
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Some do have generators.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

Who’s holding the proverbial gun to the head of these posters who want something that wasn’t part of the package? Why buy it then?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #10

Well our silverback has one and it also has a custom 30ish gallon gas tank. We do use it at the house for the a/c. We dont have 50 amp installed yet.it was all installed by the original owner. The tank has custom supports out back and the lines are plumed up to the front. I will never have one with out. Its one of those things once you have it why do without. Especially in Florida.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Who’s holding the proverbial gun to the head of these posters who want something that wasn’t part of the package? Why buy it then?
You are missing the point of the question. Nobody said it was a deal breaker, it is not a big enough deal to not buy a camper.

It is just one of those odd anomalies that nobody can seem to answer. It would be really easy to add as an option but only like 10% of travel trailers have them.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #12

Most toy haulers either come with built ins or are prepped for them. A lot of towables can be ordered with built ins or prepped, especially upper end models. But again, it's a huge cost difference, plus the weight considerations.
So if you want a towable with a built in generator, it's not hard to accomplish from the factory.
I bought my 2 Hondas for $1700 13 years ago and have used them with the last five RVs. Built ins cost $5k to $7k for each unit. I'm thinking I'm about $28k ahead at this point
But it would be nice to just flip a switch inside for power. Not that big a deal though for cheapskates like myself
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #13

on my SOB some other brand TH the generator option would have been 5 grand and with my already having 2 portable units 4500 Watt and 10000 Watt plus solar ready I saved the 5 to 6 grand US or almost 8.8 grand Canadian.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #14

This is why i love my previously loved fiver. They spent the money not me. The dealership ship didn't realize it was there until the price was locked in. Win for me for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most toy haulers either come with built ins or are prepped for them. A lot of towables can be ordered with built ins or prepped, especially upper end models. But again, it's a huge cost difference, plus the weight considerations.
So if you want a towable with a built in generator, it's not hard to accomplish from the factory.
I bought my 2 Hondas for $1700 13 years ago and have used them with the last five RVs. Built ins cost $5k to $7k for each unit. I'm thinking I'm about $28k ahead at this point
But it would be nice to just flip a switch inside for power. Not that big a deal though for cheapskates like myself
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #15

the vast, vast numbers of travel trailers sold in the u.s. never see the 'light' of any off-grid need for a generator - they go to a rv park or campground and 'plug in'.... most, or none, of those owners would want to pay the 'extra' for a generator they'll never need.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #16

2304DS Hasn't Room For a Genset

Our 2304DS has no place to store a genset, and I wish it did. I'm considering various places to put one (we tow with a van, so no truck bed), like a rack over the propane tanks, or installing a front-mounted tow hitch on our van.

Seems like a reasonable compromise would be for manufacturers to provide a compartment prepped for a genset, with start switch in the living area- the buyer could add a generator, or use the space for other storage.

IMHO, YMMV, etc...
Paul Dershem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Palimino Columbus GENERATOR INSTALLED (INCLUDES GEN PREP) is an option. With that said if your TT is gen prep it’s cheaper to buy a generator and stalling it yourself. Then you know it’s done correctly.
Happy Trails
Followup to my original post:
My brother-in-law decided not to go the route of ordering a generator through the manufacture. Instead, he installed a Onan gen, added a diesel fuel tank behind the basement (code certified) and installed instrument panels inside the 5er. You might say 8000 kw is a bit over kill but when boondocking he can run both of our 5ers w/o problems...SWEET we don't run out of power and the gen doesn't use must fuel. As you can see by the hour meter they are harden boondockers. After seeing his setup I don't think I would order a generator from the manufacture.

Name:	Onan Gen.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	210645
Onan Gen

Name:	Onan Fuel Door.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	210646
Fuel Door

Name:	Gen Control Pan.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	210647
Instrument Panel
Happy Trails
Old 07-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #18

They do have them.
Some TT just like some Fifth Wheels have Generator Option. Some are prewired and gen prep ready, some have generator installed already. You can bet the price will be about $4500 to $6000 more with generator installed.
If you don't want or need a generator they will take it out if that model has one. They can easily resell a generator all day long and get top dollar for it.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Followup to my original post:
My brother-in-law decided not to go the route of ordering a generator through the manufacture. Instead, he installed a Onan gen, added a diesel fuel tank behind the basement (code certified) and installed instrument panels inside the 5er. You might say 8000 kw is a bit over kill but when boondocking he can run both of our 5ers w/o problems...SWEET we don't run out of power and the gen doesn't use must fuel. As you can see by the hour meter they are harden boondockers. After seeing his setup I don't think I would order a generator from the manufacture.
Attachment 210645
Onan Gen
Attachment 210646
Fuel Door
Attachment 210647
Instrument Panel
Happy Trails
I like that! Generator buddy system for power!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #20

Our Crusader Lite 5th wheel did not come with a generator, nor does it have a compartment to place one in. I purchase two Honda 2200i inverter generators, mounted both in a aluminum tool box and secured the box to the beefed up bumper on the back of 5th wheel. Generators are wired in parallel and provide me with 30 amp power to run our trailer. Both generators have a 0.95 gal. built in fuel tank and I added a 3 gal. auxiliary tank(outboard motor tank) suppling fuel to both generators. I have it set up so I can run the 15K air conditioner while I am towing the trailer. Complete cost is less than half of a factory installation, even when buying new generators.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, trailer