Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

How did they damage my wheels?

To make a long story short, I had 4 new tires installed at Discount Tire this past Saturday on my 2013 F150 with the chrome clad 20" factory wheels. Rained all day Sunday. Started cleaning my wheels on Monday and found chunks taken out of 3 of my wheels at the valve stem. I have an appraiser coming out and spoke with the manager about it. Of course he played dumb and didn't "know how they could have caused something like this." He brought out a valve installation tool he claims was used on it that is nylon coated and tried to play me for a fool by showing how it wouldn't touch the spot where the damage was. I informed him that was because the valve was seated- the tool most certainly would contact the area when the valve was in the unseated position. My original theory was that the square shouldered nylon coated tool he showed me wasn't square to the wheel and when they torqued it the chunk was removed. Upon further investigation today into valve stem insertion tools, I think my valves were installed with a standard Milton S449 type tool. This tool appears to be shaped to perfectly fit the gouge in my wheels. Any other theories?

2 had chunks removed like this picture, and a 3rd had been damaged on the inside of the valve stem hole, if that makes sense. The 4th was roughed up in the valve stem area, but he claims they only changed 3??? Regardless, they are the only ones that have ever installed tires and I can prove it. And it most definitely IS a tool mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftRear.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	67666  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Having spent time working as a tire changer for a few years in school....i can tell you this absolutely is from either pulling out the old stem or pulling in the new one. We used essentially a stick with a female thread on it and you would use the lip of the wheel as a leverage point and pull it through. Not a lot of cars had alloy wheels then so it was not much of a concern.

This is what likely chipped your wheels.
Attached Images

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

No doubt in my mind where it happened.

It just frosts me when they deny it.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Back the charges off on your credit card. That usually gets them motivated to do something. Providing you used one.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Back the charges off on your credit card. That usually gets them motivated to do something. Providing you used one.
I did use American Express but actually hadn't thought of that. There are definitely benefits to using one in times like this. They ruined wheels that are 1182.xx each, so just getting back the $900ish wouldn't be a complete remedy, though.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Having spent time working as a tire changer for a few years in school....i can tell you this absolutely is from either pulling out the old stem or pulling in the new one. We used essentially a stick with a female thread on it and you would use the lip of the wheel as a leverage point and pull it through. Not a lot of cars had alloy wheels then so it was not much of a concern.

This is what likely chipped your wheels.
Exactly my thoughts. I am thinking that when I went back in he showed me the tool that is SUPPOSED to be used on chrome clad wheels, when in actuality they used the one you show.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
No doubt in my mind where it happened.

It just frosts me when they deny it.
That's what is really eating at me, too. They had the audacity to just air them up and put them back on as if I wouldn't see it or that I'd be okay with it!!!! Then to play dumb, as if they didn't do it when it is so blatantly obvious they did!!!! The more I think about it the more angry I get.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Here are the other 2, just for fun. The one is hard to see because of the angle and because my camera is crappy and doesn't take very good pics up close. But if you look closely you can see that the chrome cladding has been crushed just below the stem. My understanding is that with damage like this, not only do you have what you currently see, but in short order the chrome will start peeling and look REALLY bad. No way to re-clad them, either. You have to buy an entire new wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RightRear.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	67668   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRight.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	67669  
Old 12-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was a tire beater for 5 years during and just after high school.
No doubt in my mind they buggered your wheels .
That just bites.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #10

I been dealing with discount tire also.Put new tires on my dully and they screwed my rims. Up bad.
Now I have new. Rims.
Email corporate.they don't like bad feed back.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #11

I have watched them install many stems in my cars/trucks/trailers and race car and if you don't ask them to place a rag or something on the rim it can be damaged because they go so fast and they don't think you will notice. Good luck and if you speak to the manager they may replace the rims or go to corporate.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #12

Not trying to change the subject but on the same note; my dealer, upon inspecting a brake wire at the hub, cracked the hubcap cover by tightening the screw too tight. I couldn't prove it was them but they were the only one to take the cover off. I have to know when to stop when tightening the screw. Here's a pic of a "good" cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	67675  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

That sux op!!
Since discount tire put a store close to me about 3 years ago, ive shopped almost exclusively with them, 24 tires total and 4 new wheels, with really good luck.
Good luck with it all!!!

Just an fyi, almost every auto manufacturer requires a core back if new alloy wheels (and various other parts too) are purchased. But maybe you can just live with it for the money, or their insurance will pay you a betterment and you retain them.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
fx2

I don't know how they can deny damaging your wheels with a straight face

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Definitely go corporate with this. I used to swear by DT, but last few trips there they have been slack.
They replaced my chrome valve caps with plastic on my truck, but I didn't notice for a while so didn't complain.
They left one of the wheels untorqued on my wife's car, good thing I found it before we went on a trip.
I asked them to rotate and balance my truck tires, but they only balanced them. They have this new policy now, the best tires go to the rear, so if there's a difference in wear, they won't do what you ask.

From now on, I'll still use them, but will be very specific with written instructions on what to do.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #16

Chrome clad wheels

I have a 2014 F150 with chrome clad wheels which are actually chrome plastic covers over aluminum wheels. I believe your wheels are the same and the covers can be replaced at considerable less cost then new wheels. Tire Discounters should definitely pay the bill. I just thought you might want to look carefully at your wheels to see if they have plastic covers. They look like metal but if you tap on them they don't sound metallic. Good luck in resolving this issue with Tire Discounters.
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Site Team

Just glancing at your valve stem cap in the second pic of post #8, it is a TPMS stem that is attached to a sensor.

I hope they were aware enough to unscrew the sensor on the inside from the stem before attempting to remove the rubber stem. If they weren't, it would take an awful lot of force to basically rip the stem out of the sensor. Do all of your TMPS sensors currently work?

I also think the management is just trying to cover their rear end (and keep his profit higher than his loss). The marks you showed are from a valve tool.

We carry the metal and nylon/plastic valve tools, but usually just use whichever one is handy at the time. We don't pry against the rim directly on ANY rim....irregardless of the tool used. We have wooden handheld wire brushes at each tire changer (used to clean the rim bead areas) and use the handle of these brushes as a buffer between the rim and valve tool to pry against. This way the wood handle absorbs any/all marks from the prying action......plus gives you a better angle requiring less effort to pry the stems in and out.

Good luck in your dealings with them.
Attached Images

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just glancing at your valve stem cap in the second pic of post #8, it is a TPMS stem that is attached to a sensor.

I hope they were aware enough to unscrew the sensor on the inside from the stem before attempting to remove the rubber stem. If they weren't, it would take an awful lot of force to basically rip the stem out of the sensor. Do all of your TMPS sensors currently work?

I also think the management is just trying to cover their rear end (and keep his profit higher than his loss). The marks you showed are from a valve tool.

We carry the metal and nylon/plastic valve tools, but usually just use whichever one is handy at the time. We don't pry against the rim directly on ANY rim....irregardless of the tool used. We have wooden handheld wire brushes at each tire changer (used to clean the rim bead areas) and use the handle of these brushes as a buffer between the rim and valve tool to pry against. This way the wood handle absorbs any/all marks from the prying action......plus gives you a better angle requiring less effort to pry the stems in and out.

Good luck in your dealings with them.
All TPMS sensors seem to be working. They sent out an independent adjuster that knew right off what they had done. Discount Tire sent me a check for $4077.xx, so all is good. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #19

Holy cow! Didn't expect that end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #20

I can understand, sort of, when it happens to one rim. But to have this happen and keep going and mess up 2 more is inexcusable.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel