Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBuilds View Post
I don't agree Rockfordroo... My camper is plugged into shore power year round, my battery still froze, had the tell tale signs (bloated side walls). Not to mention wouldn't take a charge.

This year I'll be pulling my batteries and putting them on tenders in my basement.
If your converter is over charging and therefor overheating the battery bulged sidewalks is a symptom of that also. Converter do not make very good battery tenders as they are mostly to aggressive unless you get a multi stage converter.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #22

I've always been a fan of pulling the battery out, washing any film off the top, cleaning the terminals, topping off the cells with distilled water and putting a full charge to it every couple months through the winter, with it stored on a shelf in the garage. The last interstate deep cycle was the original that came on the TT and was still good when I traded it in 7 yrs. later
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
How critical is it to attach a battery tender if stored in the basement (from now till end April)? And what size tender should I get - for a 12v RV battery? Is CDN Tire the best place to get one in CDA?
You might be right.....but, again, not much effort to throw a charge on it every month or so.

I bought the only below at Canadian Tire and it works fine.

MotoMaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger, 2A | Canadian Tire

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #24

With Class A V 10..can't I just keep the shore power hooked up? I like to run the rig an hour or so every month and drive it around my yard to keep everything loose. Good or bad idea? I have been doing this for 2 1/2 yrs.
Thanks
hugospro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #25

I intend to live in my MH this winter.
I have solar panels on the roof...., will they be enough to keep the battery alive until the spring time?
I could also power up the generator once a week. And take the MH for a spin road conditions permitting.

Any thoughts?

Thx.

Peter
Dane_mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #26

I have a small solar panel I attach to the battery in the chassis that keeps the battery charged up all winter. As for the coach batteries, I remove them from the unit and store them in the basement. Once a month I charge them over night with a charge/maintainer to keep them at full power. I enter a reminder in Outlook to remind me to do that the 1st of every month.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #27

I use maintainers on my motorcycles (garage) and another vehicle I don't drive in winter (outside but with power available) batteries all have lasted + 6 years. On my sailboat which is outside trailer stored I use a 4-5 watt solar panel, (hanging veritically so not really ideal for sun but keeps snow buildup off it) directly hooked up to the combo start/deep cycle AGM, and it has lasted over 5 winters with no sign of degradation.
Of interest, I've measured some minimal output on that solar panel with over 4 inches of snow on it when sitting horizontal, which was amazing to me. That said to keep it clear, I hang it vertically now, and don't even check it all winter. This is in Calgary with at least down -30F sometimes, occasionally lower.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #28

Yep, gotta vent them. Before putting it on a maintainer make sure it is charged. Maintainers in my experience will not charge a dead to partially charged battery.
camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, battery